PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice. Tell me about TiresPlus

MoCkiN U
10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I know several of you have worked at TiresPlus and maybe still do. There was a airtool shooting something story going around that bit someone in the butt I remember.

Well, at work (sears auto) I have been trying to get somethings changed and as they do its a larger fight than I think I can carry on.

Earlier this week I applied at TiresPlus for a manager in training job they offer online and the very next morning I got a call and the next day a interview. They are talking about moving to service manager later down the road but right now want me to be a salesperson to see my knowledge and find out how I might work out.

The money oppurtunity is more than what I make right now as an assistant mgr at any of the positions they offer. My drive time would be right at a hour either store they put me at......

My major issue is that my DM is talking about putting me in my own store very soon as we had a very detailed talk today and I was sent the infamous hogan test also for that move to happen sooner than later.

If I move to TiresPlus is it a good company? What are your thoughts as employees of that company?

I have a bit of loyalty to my DM and if he is offering me a new spot then maybe I should take it but also wonder what the money oppurtunity could be at the new spot without all the fighting I have to do now????

subliminal1284
10-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I dont know about working there, but I know tires plus atleast the one on Kenosha is very shady. I caught them twice trying to sell me on things that did not need replacing.

MoCkiN U
10-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I wouldnt hold that against any company really. If a single shop goes rogue with a few aggressive techs that by the way work on commission it can happen easily. A few managers think their techs are doing it right without checking and a few sales people get in and voila.....

I know at my current location we have to keep a tight reign on what is suggested or required. Wasnt that long ago we had a 45 year tech condem calipers for a brake job and the damn wheels werent even off the car yet.........

It can happen everywhere if gone unchecked. I caught it at my store now and can there too and make that shit go bye bye

brotherbenn83
10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I used to work at a place that the service manager recommended replacing calipers to get the longest life out of the brake pads....NICE! In my 12 years in the auto business I have replaced MAYBE 3 calipers, 2 leakers and 1 frozen solid. Good luck with your job, I just recently left Holz Chevy after 9+ years in service.

1320PNY
10-02-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't have any experience with either Company, so I did some web searching. Looking at the Corp. Structure, Sears is publically traded and Tires Plus is a franchise that is Sole Proprietor. As far as updating equipment and such, I would believe that Sears has "phase" plans and does a corporate business asset purchase by territory, thus you see a bunch of opposition at the management level for immediate changes. As for Tires Plus, they may never make changes as the owners typically get in/out of franchise opportunities like people get in/out of cars. You try to buy low, hold onto a franchise as long as it takes to turn it, and then get out while you are ahead.

With any automotive situation, you don't see a bunch of NEW stores popping up every day like it was in the '80s and '90s. I wouldn't expect anything less than trying to "make it work" with what is on-site until the economy turns around (which looks to be 2013 and beyond).

My advice would be to hold where you have a good footing and know what you are up against. You seem to be frustrated, but progressing in your current company. This is more than the norm now days. If you are being promoted from within, stay, if you have to job hop to get ahead, go.

lilws6
10-11-2010, 08:14 PM
tires plus is mainly corporate. i worked in delefield and you should all know i got let go for something completly retarded. There are a few individual stores here and there one i know of is in watertown. now as a place to work more than likely you would be getting trained in delefield. when i worked there we trained alot of them a month. then there going to want to stick you in some outragous location later down the road because you can't stay at delefield theyve got all they can handle and since i've been gone i've heard its been real bad in the shop. if you want to know how it really is talk to any one that currently works at the delefield store except the new kids and the two managers. talk to ron, jerry, josh, ryan, chris any of those. i didn't list last names and i know they wouldn't mind me leting you know who to talk to you could talk to nick to hes a salesman hes been there awhile. sorry if i rambled on a bit. but the company in general is based on numbers you make the number they ask for (witch is usually somethign stupid high) you get a bonus.(if you a manager) if your in back you get spit on and told to work faster and harder. I saw no raise in 4 years worked my ass of for the company and every time i even asked for a raise was told i wasn't workign hard enough. not that may have just been the manager, but i know corporate is breathing down there necks to put harder and get those number. they want you to push whats ever on sale that month. be it oil changes serp belts fuel inductions. coolant flushes. i've seen alot of stuff done that maybe shouldn't have had to. but we did it because we were told to i skipped somethings here or there because i didnt' feel they were necessary and wrong to sell. its up to you you may get to be in a better store but from my experience it was complete crap. there is 100% no incentive for me to ever want to work for tires plus ever again. not shure if firestone is the same way but there both owned by morgan tire.

Feature Pony
10-12-2010, 09:29 AM
morgan tire sucks hard core!!!! When I worked at Tires plus I was making great money as sales. Morgan tire came in and cut our commission by 3/4, my district manager was a ass, everyone quit at the waukesha store and I was now the store manager for $9 an hr. really $9 an hr???? I told him to stick it! Needless to say I got laid off! Screw Tires Plus!

MoCkiN U
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I ended up having a offer from Ron at tiresplus for sales at his store and also a promotion from Sears just about a hour apart. I felt bad to Ron cause they paid for my drug screening and such already but DAMN, I had a similar paying job offered 8 minutes from me versus the hour + drive I was looking at.

Ron was cool on phone but could tell was agravated with me and the whole thing but I was respectful and open with him. It is what it is now!

lilws6
10-13-2010, 08:13 AM
i wasn't talking about manager ron but the guy in back. But i did hear you were all set to go and you got offered the other job. i'm glad you took that one because theres really no where to advance at that store. i'm shure the guys i know would have enjoyed you working there since your into cars unlike half the sales men they have now, but i think your better off away from TP

PureSound15
10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
So you're still working for Sears but closer to your home?

Good for you, Kelley. I went from an hour commute to three minutes about two years ago and I could never go back.

Rocket Power
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
I went from an hour commute to three minutes about two years ago and I could never go back.
^this. I went from an hour to ten min. Its like getting a raise in itself.

lilws6
10-13-2010, 09:38 AM
i went from 45 to 20 min. still its always better