PDA

View Full Version : Computer people - +24v source?

BR3W CITY
09-30-2010, 10:08 AM
So one of my co-workers laptops was having an apparent overheating problem; it would run fine for a while, then randomely turn off like it ran out of power.

My old laptop (toshiba) did the same thing a while back, and it was due to a clogged heat xchanger, which then destroyed the mobo etc. I probably could have saved it, had I known the issue and cleaned the cooling system out early enough.

So my company gets my coworker a new laptop and gives me the old one with a "fix it and you can keep it" stipulation. I have opened the lappy up, and cleaned all of the heat syncs and the heat exchanger for the cpu. I also re-seated the processor making sure the thermo-grease was in decent condition. I intend to use this as a media center, and would like to add additional cooling to prevent any further overheating conditions. I've got a 120mm pc fan that I mounted to the case, and when powered off an additional powersource (extra 350w source I had lying around ) it works great.

Where can I find a +24v source on-board this laptop? I was told that the battery-charge leads internally would work, and since Im not running any battery, this solution would work well for me. Anyone have experience with level of stupid-tinkering?

British_Ben
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Why would you want +24v? Most, if not all computer fans are 12V DC. Your best bet is to find a regular computer power supply and short the bright green wire with one of the 6 ground wires (black) in the ATX connector. This will turn the PSU on just like if you pushed the button on the front of a tower. Use it just to power the fan(s). Use the on/off switch on the back of the PSU to turn it on and off, as it will always be on with the lime green wire shorted to ground.

GTSLOW
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
did you reuse the thermal grease that was on there? I woukd definatly get some new stuff. I've bot a large unit of as5 if you need any.

BR3W CITY
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I had a little left in a squeeze pack from an older upgrade i did....I figure the stuff doesn't go bad just sitting.
As for the 24v, the fans I have say "DC24v .26a", so I assume it needs a 24v source?