PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a program

badass88gt
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's my story. My wife runs her salon business and needs a program that she can use for her daily schedule and to keep her client's contacts straight. She used to use Palm Desktop when she had a Palm phone but has since switched to iphone.

Right now she uses Outlook but she doesnt like it and wants to find something new. She syncs her Outlook daily calendar to her iphone and she doesnt care for itunes either but thats another story.

What she is looking for is a simple to use program like Outlook that can be installed on the computer, thats the other problem. There is no internet access at her salon so a program like Google calendar wont work.

What is out there thats easy to use, can keep her daily schedules and client contacts straight, can be used with her iphone and is installed on the computer without needing internet access? Is this asking the impossible?

Thanks alot-Dan

GHOSST
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Holy crap tech guys chime in! I'm shocked....

03CVLX
09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Well she could download Google Sync. Then she can at least just type in her appointments onto her native I phone calendar and it will two way sync to the google calendar at home. It also backs up all your cell phone contacts. But I am not sure thats the type of contacts you are talking about. If she is ok with just keeping their numbers in her regular contact list it should be easily done with google sync/google calendar at home. Also if she updates calendar entries later on at home. It will automatically update the phones native calendar.

Cryptic
09-28-2010, 12:21 AM
^ good idea

badass88gt
09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Tonight she bought a netbook to take back and forth to her salon. So she will take the netbook from home (where there is internet) to the salon (no internet), her receptionist will schedule appointments throughout the day, then she will sync to her phone so she has her appointments with her whenever she needs them. So she would still need a calendar program that gets installed on her netbook for her receptionist to use that doesnt need internet access?

Myles
09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
just download the Google calendar garbage. There is alot of stuff out there but generally its all crap.

The netbook back and forth is a good idea as well.

FoxStang
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
How costly could it possibly be to set up an internet connection at the salon?

badass88gt
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Problem is it's not her salon, she rents from the salon owner who makes those decisions and is stuck in the stone ages using a schedule book. She may just either get a wireless USB network from somewhere or maybe enable tethering on her phone but we don't have 3G up here for AT&T so that's our last option.

FoxStang
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I was gonna say maybe tether, I think its like $30 a month, though I think I figured out how to do it on my Captivate for free. No reasoning with the landlord either to spring for a connection?

badass88gt
09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
No, the salon owner is stuck in her ways, "if I don't need it you don't need it".

I guess tethering is $45 a month.

Yooformula
09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
sprint mobile wi-fi are pretty cheap and some of their phones also work as mobile hotspots. cool phone = business expense!

badass88gt
09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Problem is we just started a new AT&T contract back in January...