PDA

View Full Version : tial blow off valve question...

venm4u97
09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
hey guys i picked up a vortech s-trim with a intercooler for my 97 cobra...came with 42lb injectors and 90mm lighting mass air for 2,100 shipped...i just have to order a blow off valve....Im lookin to order a 50 mm tial blow off valve i just don't know what size for the spring...they have a 3,6,7, or 11 psi...not sure if any of you guys have used a tial bov or a bov in general but i could use the help since this is my first supercharger purchase.I plan on running 9 psi...that's about all my bottom end can handle...
thank you for your time

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/jhotstang87/60409_433575193882_507633882_5203984_2150993_n.jpg

EvolvedRegal
09-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Use the lightest spring if all your going to run is 9psi. I think mine is a 7lb spring but then again Im turboed.

Thats a lot of air for a 8cyl, might want to get a better iC, it looks a bit small. Might get heat soaked pretty quick

spooln30
09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
the springs they can come with is 7, 9, and 11 psi. but the springs are rated by vacuum. If your car has stock cams you'll want to run a 9 psi spring because its good for double that in inches of vacuum. So if your car idles at -18 inches you can use the 9 psi spring. if you have cams and your idles at -14 inches you can use the 7 psi spring. But yes you want to run the lightest possible. If you run a 7 psi spring and your car is idling at -20 inches the bov is going to just sit there open while your idling. if you run too hard of a spring the bov wont open properly causing compressor surge.

venm4u97
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
thanks for your help......should i try a different model to see if they have a lighter spring?

PureSound15
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Is it setup for blow through or draw through?

I was under the impression that most vortec setups were draw through, so you'd need to recirculate that metered air.

venm4u97
09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
its a draw through....do i need to run something other then a BOV then? or switch to blow through?

PureSound15
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
its a draw through....do i need to run something other then a BOV then? or switch to blow through?

Draw through offers more "driveability" as long as you route the air back in. You're going to end up running rich if you blow the air to atmosphere.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=25

Route it back into the intake.

EvolvedRegal
09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Might want to look into MAFT-pro. It's extremely simple to hook up and you can convert it to blow-thru. Not sure on how the stangs are setup or how much room there is but plumbing to recirc the "blownoff" air back to the intake would be a hassle IMO.

DurtyKurty
09-28-2010, 12:29 PM
You want a recirculating valve. For 9psi, a cheap Bosch unit if just fine... you don't even need a bypass if you really don't want to. Most valves can be configured to vent or bypass...

Because this is for a supercharger, you won't have to worry about getting it adjusted like you would with a turbo. If your bypass valve is open at idle that's ok... good as a matter of fact. Makes idle tuning that much less finicky because you won't have such a pressure differential across the IAC. It's just recirculating air at idle with it open.

The one thing you kind of want to avoid is vent to atmosphere (BOV).

spooln30
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
+2 on the Maft-pro. Great product. I've installed that turner on six supras and I love the softwear and usability. It will self adjusts per conditions. And it gets rid of the MAF sensor. It is very easy to street tune to get it damn close to perfect. When using a wideband. Good luck.

spooln30
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
If you run the Maf sensor with a atmosphere style BOV what will happen is when you lift off the throttle you will run into a super rich condition and the engine will fall flat on it's face. So Recirulating BOV will be your only option if your not planning on running a fuel tuner like the Maft Pro. Hint hint get the Maft Pro.

Keith

PureSound15
09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Recirculating it would probably be easier since that kit must have a 1" or 1.5" bung for the air to route back for somewhere in the piping.

How much is a maft-pro anyway?

FoxStang
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
About $400 is what they were when I was looking at one for my Supra. I imagine its around the same still.

spooln30
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Last Maft Pro kit I got for a customer was a little over $700. But that was with a Innovate LC-1 wideband w/gauge and both GM intake air temp sensor and GM 3 bar map sensor. But like I said worth every penny. You can adjust almost everything even timing.

SilverHorse
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Draw through offers more "driveability" as long as you route the air back in. You're going to end up running rich if you blow the air to atmosphere.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=25

Route it back into the intake.

Is this why I run a little rich?? I have this blow off valve with the 9lb spring.

PureSound15
09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Is this why I run a little rich?? I have this blow off valve with the 9lb spring.

The boost isn't that factor - it all depends on the placement of your MAF vs where the air is released.

Blow Through = The only air thats metered is the air near the intake that has already made it past the MAF and is accounted for. It doesn't matter if you vent to atmosphere or not because the only air metered is the air actually entering the motor.

Draw Through = The air is measured as soon as it's takin into the intake system. Once it's past the turbine it's not getting out because, if it is blown off, it's forced back into the intake and there will still be the right amount of fuel for that amount of air. If you blow that to atmosphere a rich condition will appear because your tune is adding fuel for the air that is supposed to be there.

venm4u97
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
after all the parts i had to buy and the charger..in addition to tryin to get it tuned this year still... i don't think all have enough loot to order the maft - pro......so my question is since im new to the supercharger game....I plan on running a tial BOV..but i just have to make sure its a Recirculating model? like this one....and also make sure i get a light spring?..7 or 9 psi?
I was thinking about this one http://www.frsport.com/Tial-Sport-Alpha-Q-Recirculating-Blow-Off-Valve-50mm-Black_p_15344.html

another question....if i had a blow through mass air...could i run a regular BOV?...like vent to atmosphere?....sorry for the stupid questions just tryin to do some research......thanks for all your help

venm4u97
09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
or maybe this one?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=975&cat_key=9&prodname=*NEW*+Tial+Sport+Recirculating+Bypass+50m m+Diverter+Bypass+Valve

DurtyKurty
09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
after all the parts i had to buy and the charger..in addition to tryin to get it tuned this year still... i don't think all have enough loot to order the maft - pro......so my question is since im new to the supercharger game....I plan on running a tial BOV..but i just have to make sure its a Recirculating model? like this one....and also make sure i get a light spring?..7 or 9 psi?
I was thinking about this one http://www.frsport.com/Tial-Sport-Alpha-Q-Recirculating-Blow-Off-Valve-50mm-Black_p_15344.html

If you are getting the car tuned, you don't need this maft thing these guys are talking about.
Yes, that valve will work for sure. However, you don't need such and expensive valve. There are way way less expensive quality units out there.

another question....if i had a blow through mass air...could i run a regular BOV?...like vent to atmosphere?....sorry for the stupid questions just tryin to do some research......thanks for all your help

Yes, you could....

Ryan, do you run a bypass valve? How much boost do you run? I run about 8psi on the vortech and I don't run a bypass and you would never know it.

PureSound15
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Ryan, do you run a bypass valve? How much boost do you run? I run about 8psi on the vortech and I don't run a bypass and you would never know it.

9-10 PSI and a bypass running to atmosphere since my setups is blow-through. It sounds a bit obnoxious since it's techinically blowing 10psi out of the valve ALL the time unless I'm at ~60% throttle... but I like obnoxious.

EvolvedRegal
09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
You could also look into a APS BOV, it's a 50/50 valve. They make high quality stuff and it's a lot cheaper than Tial.

FoxStang
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Bypass Valves are for wussies, compressor surge sounds awesome! :goof

spooln30
09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
The reason the Maft Pro was mention was not only for the tuning but it also eliminates the need to run a MAF sensor. But whatever works just go for it.

venm4u97
10-01-2010, 07:21 AM
thanks for all your help guys.....i think im just gonna get a blow through and a regular BOV.....then get it tuned by marv...at least it will finally start movin pretty good when everythings all dialed in..