PDA

View Full Version : Leaded Premium in Western burbs?

ac427cobra
09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey Guys:

I was looking for some leaded premium fuel for my '66 Stang. The Clark Station I used to buy it at (27th and Edgerton) no longer has it.

Only 95 or 98 octane is required. I don't need 105 or 110.

If anyone can point me to a station I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Bruce :D

jbiscuit
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
leaded race gas at the pump on 76th and Lincoln...its a Shell station

animal
09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I think what bruce was looking for was the leaded 93 they used to sell there as opposed to the 110 or other high octane race gas sold at assorted locations. I know of no other place that has the leaded 93.

jbiscuit
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
why not run the 110 if you can get it at the pump? You won't see any real gain from running a higher octane unless the carb is jetted for it but it would make your motor happy

animal
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Well it's also alot more spendy iirc. Leaded 93 was usually like 10-15 cents more than unleaded 93.

PureSound15
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
But, can you put a value on the delicious smell that is 110 Leaded fuel?

I think not.

Got Boost
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
cut the race gas with pump unleaded .....Problem solved...if you needed 98 octane ,, the 93 octane leaded wasent enough anyway...

jamestown478
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
leaded race gas at the pump on 76th and Lincoln...its a Shell station

I would never buy that crap. Probably been sitting in there tank all year long.

PureSound15
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I would never buy that crap. Probably been sitting in there tank all year long.

Your wisdom is outstanding.

I didn't know they had race gas there! Thank J!

jamestown478
09-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Your wisdom is outstanding.

I didn't know they had race gas there! Thank J!

eh we haven't gone over the other 2 versions of there in class yet :) jk

outlawgibbs
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I think you can get 100 at any small airport. That may have changed but we used to get it at the Dodge Co. airport to run in our snowcross sleds.

jamestown478
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
though I do remember numerous people telling me that race gas sitting in the tank for an extended period of time will go bad. Or is that wrong?

PureSound15
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
though I do remember numerous people telling me that race gas sitting in the tank for an extended period of time will go bad. Or is that wrong?

It's like any fuel, I suppose. I'm a bit confused why you're insisting that the fuel in those tanks is old?

jamestown478
09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
It's like any fuel, I suppose. I'm a bit confused why you're insisting that the fuel in those tanks is old?

due to living right there and seeing someone get gas from that pump maybe once a week idk. Unless the guy has a really small tank and is getting it refilled monthly I don't see that being fresh gas. And for the price id rather trek out to chad in windlake and pick up my race gas.

jbiscuit
09-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I can't comment on the age of the fuel in the tank at the Shell in Stallis that I suggested. They have it at the pump. I have put it in my car a few times. If you are curious as to the age, call the station and ask him. I'm sure he can tell you how old or how often his tank gets filled.

On a side note, Johnnys Citgo on Muskego has it at the pump also. I used to see a bunch of muscle cars over there getting race fuel

SSLEVO
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
why not run the 110 if you can get it at the pump? You won't see any real gain from running a higher octane unless the carb is jetted for it but it would make your motor happy

There are so many things wrong with that statement...

hrsp
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
sorry for my ignorance...but why do you want leaded?

Rocket Power
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Smells better.:rolf

ac427cobra
09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. If you don't think that fuel is fresh maybe I will head to an airport.

And like Animal stated, I don't need to pay $7 -$8 for 105 or 110 when I have a relatively low compression 10.5-1 motor. 93-95 should be sufficient. But I need leaded fuel.

sorry for my ignorance...but why do you want leaded?

I don't have hardened valve seats!

:D

theavenger333
09-28-2010, 12:57 AM
due to living right there and seeing someone get gas from that pump maybe once a week idk. Unless the guy has a really small tank and is getting it refilled monthly I don't see that being fresh gas. And for the price id rather trek out to chad in windlake and pick up my race gas.

nevermind that stations have regulations about how long fuel can be in holding tanks, and get tested, which results get sent to the state. or that having the gas that long would cause it to turn crummy and leave residue all over the inside of the tank, therefore ruining not only the holding tank, but also any other gas they put in the tank later. oh and also that the filtering, and evap system on the pump and in the hose wouldn't function properly, setting off the evaporator alarm and causing the pump to malfunction. you hit it on the head, it's got a super small holding tank. most stations, especially older ones, have those, they were common for Kerosene

jbiscuit
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
There are so many things wrong with that statement...

Explain yourself. He's looking for leaded fuel. Whats the difference in running 93 lead or 110 lead? The car will run the same. I wanted to be clear than just by putting 110 lead in the tank, the car won't turn into a rocketship. When I have run 110 in my Biscayne in the past, I noticed little if any difference in how the car car ran. If the car was tuned with the 110, he would see gains (duh) :)

BR3W CITY
09-28-2010, 08:20 AM
C16 in my '63 Honda scooter made a hell of a difference :)

Feature Pony
09-28-2010, 10:09 AM
nevermind that stations have regulations about how long fuel can be in holding tanks, and get tested, which results get sent to the state. or that having the gas that long would cause it to turn crummy and leave residue all over the inside of the tank, therefore ruining not only the holding tank, but also any other gas they put in the tank later. oh and also that the filtering, and evap system on the pump and in the hose wouldn't function properly, setting off the evaporator alarm and causing the pump to malfunction. you hit it on the head, it's got a super small holding tank. most stations, especially older ones, have those, they were common for Kerosene

The problem with the stations that have the pumps is they want CASH, and the reason for that is there is no paper trail, which means they can put a additive in if they wanted and the state will never know because this gas might not even be on their books. They can get pretty sneaky with it. Go get your fuel out in Windlake by Chad, it is fresh and you know what you are getting.

theavenger333
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
The problem with the stations that have the pumps is they want CASH, and the reason for that is there is no paper trail, which means they can put a additive in if they wanted and the state will never know because this gas might not even be on their books. They can get pretty sneaky with it. Go get your fuel out in Windlake by Chad, it is fresh and you know what you are getting.

unfotunatly you're incorrect. in order to get gasoline sent to your facility, you have to be licensed. the few companies that deliver gas these days all have to keep logs of where their stuff goes. in order to pass routine inspections the station also has to furnish records. the stations want cash because they want cash or for tax reasons etc. with gasoline, especially in a state like wisconsin, who taxes gas all to hell, there is no such thing as no paper trail

FoxStang
09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
unfotunatly you're incorrect. in order to get gasoline sent to your facility, you have to be licensed. the few companies that deliver gas these days all have to keep logs of where their stuff goes. in order to pass routine inspections the station also has to furnish records. the stations want cash because they want cash or for tax reasons etc. with gasoline, especially in a state like wisconsin, who taxes gas all to hell, there is no such thing as no paper trail
Not to mention the 2-3% hit they take when you pay with a card.

jamestown478
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM

nowhere does it say how long you are able to keep the gas in your tanks. There is no rule saying that after so many months you have to have either sold it or get rid of it. It will still be bad gas sitting in that tank after being there for an extended period of time like it seems it has been.

theavenger333
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
nowhere does it say how long you are able to keep the gas in your tanks. There is no rule saying that after so many months you have to have either sold it or get rid of it. It will still be bad gas sitting in that tank after being there for an extended period of time like it seems it has been.

well, actually there is. i worked at a gas station for 3 years, and had our inspections routinely.

WI_Dave
09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
But, can you put a value on the delicious smell that is 110 Leaded fuel?

I think not.

Ditto :wstupid