PDA

View Full Version : Airline tickets.....

Car Guy
09-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I am looking for advice on the best time and place to purchase roundtrip airfare from MKE to DEN 11/24-11/28. Any help is much appreciated.....:thumbsup

easytoremember
09-25-2010, 09:26 PM
www.flyertalk.com (http://www.flyertalk.com)

also check out kayak.com they have a feature to see the treand for the flight you want in terms of price over the past X days. That allows you see the trend in when it will go up etc.

Holeshot
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Denver is one of Frontiers hubs. We flew out there round trip the end of June for 280 round trip per person .

1320PNY
09-25-2010, 09:54 PM
We booked about 3 weeks ago to COS (Colorado Springs) from here. I fly all the time and I check quite frequently. My ticket price, with all taxes and fees, direct throught Frontier was $202.

Just check Frontier daily for the next few weeks. Also, if you can come back Red Eye on Monday it would save you.

I just went to KC and came back Tuesday and was in MKE at 6:40 A.M. on a 5:00 flight. Saved $300 on that trip. It was booked 4 days before the flight.

You just have to be slightly flexible and keep looking. Sometimes last minute is good because the plane is not full and they blow out tickets, but you are headed to Denver in the heart of ski season, so it may not be good to wait.

Also check flights to COS through Denver. Sometimes they are cheaper because they are not "direct". Jacked, I know, but not my rules.

TransAm12sec
09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
www.bookingbuddy.com

Seems like you're looking at high 200 and up.

EvolvedRegal
09-26-2010, 09:08 AM
If you need those dates in stone it may be kind of hard but if you are able to be "bumped" I can arrange for your tickets. The price should be around $30-$60 roundtrip.

Car Guy
09-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks the help great help all, keep it coming......:thumbsup

If you need those dates in stone it may be kind of hard but if you are able to be "bumped" I can arrange for your tickets. The price should be around $30-$60 roundtrip.

Details please, specifically the 'bumping' part. The departure and return times are flexible but the days are not. I need to get there Wednesday and return Sunday.....

Car Guy
09-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Leaving on a jet plane.....:)

Car Guy
10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
After many hours of research and searching I purchased non-stop round trip airfare (returning on Monday opposed to Sunday) for $260 total. Returning Monday was about $100 cheaper and the extra day will be nice to recover from the trip before going back to work on Tuesday. I was about to pay $240 through Expedia but then checked the same flights through Frontier's website for a comparison. The same flight was identical in price but there was a catch I did not know about. Airfare through Expedia does NOT include checked bags at $20 each bag each way; another $80 total! Upgrading to Frontier's mid-priced 'classic' airfare for only $20 included 2 free checked bags each way (including other amenities), a no brainer indeed!

Most websites with advice said the best time to purchase airfare is 4-6 weeks in advance. I was always told "sooner is better" but decided to take a chance and wait. Surprisingly prices started to and continually dropped starting 1.5 months ago bottoming about 2 weeks ago. The best part is I was able to choose a 5th row window seat and many more good seats were available.....

Rocket Power
10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
We found tues and wed is the best time to buy ticket for some reason.

Car Guy
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
We found tues and wed is the best time to buy ticket for some reason.

Many websites said the minute after midnight Tuesday (technically Wednesday) is the best time as then is when prices 'reset'. This is a result of most early week travel being business related and purchased at weeks end or on Monday. I did not see much (if any) variation in prices on Tuesday or Wednesday but the dates I needed were prime Thanksgiving travel. This probably throws off the normal cycle of travelers and pricing......

Rocket Power
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Many websites said the minute after midnight Tuesday (technically Wednesday) is the best time as then is when prices 'reset'. This is a result of most early week travel being business related and purchased at weeks end or on Monday. I did not see much (if any) variation in prices on Tuesday or Wednesday but the dates I needed were prime Thanksgiving travel. This probably throws off the normal cycle of travelers and pricing......
That could be, when we sent my daughter to Denver earlier this year we got our best deal on a tues or wed, but it wasn't a holiday like turkey day