PDA

View Full Version : The Great American Cop Car Shootout!

Prince Valiant
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Always one of my favorite reads...Michigan State Police car testing:

http://jalopnik.com/5644083/the-great-american-cop-car-shootout

New players this year with the addition of the the v8 Caprice and Taurus, including the AWD/turbo variant...good read. I'll admit, it's normally fun just to read since it puts cars that you don't normally see getting pitted against each other (historically crown vic/charger/etc), and of course, seeing the mopar clean up :goof

THIS year, it's closer all around :thumbsup

Although "all-american" in the title is a stretch given the AU sourced Caprice :devil

FoxStang
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
The funniest part is GM claimed to win in every category because the Ford isn't technically out yet. Even though I'm a Ford guy I still think Ford is shooting themselves in the foot by not offering a tradition RWD option for the police...

Crawlin
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Man... without rental car agencies, law enforcement agencies, state sponsored agencies.... the big 3 would be selling alot less, ahaha.

03CVLX
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Chevy is going to lose big. They are the ONLY one to NOT offer a column shifter. The Caprice still has a floor shifter so departments won't be able to swap over their radio consoles. If and when that is fixed though I think it may be the new winner.

Crawlin
09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Chevy is going to lose big. They are the ONLY one to NOT offer a column shifter. The Caprice still has a floor shifter so departments won't be able to swap over their radio consoles. If and when that is fixed though I think it may be the new winner.

i think the larger problem would be something they also mentioned in the article. How fast would parts stock be able to be obtained from Australia? That's alot of parts to have to keep in "inventory" at a facility just on the chance something might happen(even though we know it will). To keep all that on hand just costs too much.

I think with a year to go the Fords will come around. Like above mentioned, if they offered a RWD variant, i think they would have the chance to keep the police vehicle title.

Prince Valiant
09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Anyone notice the chargers new lines?

http://cache-04.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/09/charger3_01.jpg

kinda makes the last gen look frumpy, lol...

Rocket Power
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Hope Mopar has worked on the durability of the front end components. A officer with a dept I did a ride along with told me they were dumping the charger early because the front ends were wearing out too fast and using up the maintainance budget. He really liked it otherwise, so he wasn't biased against the charger.

FoxStang
09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I think with a year to go the Fords will come around. Like above mentioned, if they offered a RWD variant, i think they would have the chance to keep the police vehicle title.

Smart move for them to come out, scope out the competition and make some last minute changes and address complaints.

Prince Valiant
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Hope Mopar has worked on the durability of the front end components. A officer with a dept I did a ride along with told me they were dumping the charger early because the front ends were wearing out too fast and using up the maintainance budget.
In the reading I've done, the only thing I was aware of in regards to initial problems with the charger were the brakes...the engineers went for max performance but were finding brake rotors/pads were only lasting 20-30,000 miles. Current brakes are supposed to rectify this.

Other then that, I wasn't aware of any other issue...

pOrk
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Fords version of a 4 door scion tc?
http://cache-04.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/09/ford3.jpg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2007/08/27/11/06/2007_scion_tc-pic-59046.png

FoxStang
09-24-2010, 04:01 PM
^Not seeing the resemblance, then again I think the new Taurus is one of the best looking cars around. Wish Ford would have engineered their Aussie products with LHD engineering, then maybe we could see some more RWD goodness.