PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about computer repair?

badass88gt
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
We have an HP laptop that is about a year and a half old. For some reason I didn't buy the extended plan from Best Buy so now we're screwed.

About a week ago it worked great. Went to turn it on and the laptop would not turn on with the power cord plugged in. If I unplugged the cord it worked fine off battery power, but as soon as you plugged it in the laptop would shut down instantly. It didn't go through the normal shut down procedure, it just shut off. Unplug the cord, started up fine. Now the battery is out of juice so I can't do anything. I bought a new power cord thinking that was the problem but it is still dead.

Is this a sign of a failed motherboard? I opened it up and took out one stick of RAM, then tried only the other stick, none of that changes anything, still dead.

Is there a way to test the motherboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver350
09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Try taking the battery out of the laptop and plugging in the power cord only to see if it boots. If it doesnt work I am thinking the laptop Power supply is the problem.

badass88gt
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I did that. Still dead.

By power supply are you referring to the black box on the power cord? I replaced that already.

BoosTT
09-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Ill buy it off you. I think there is a internal power supply issue.

badass88gt
09-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Not for sale. I have found that HP knows this to be an issue with their other models and has offered an extended warranty to cover this. I tried calling to see if they will cover mine but I need to call back when there are engrish speaking people to answer the phone.

LIL EVO
09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
wikked = laptop fixer

pOrk
09-19-2010, 01:51 PM
If HP won't cover it, my brother can do the repair

fivonut
09-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I find that drilling a 1/2" hole in them with a projectile traveling over 2000 fps solves everything!!!

Dasred
09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Not for sale. I have found that HP knows this to be an issue with their other models and has offered an extended warranty to cover this. I tried calling to see if they will cover mine but I need to call back when there are engrish speaking people to answer the phone.

From experience in my last job, it's difficult to find a time with HP that Americans are answering the phone.
I'm pretty sure their entire call center is outsourced.
(In an Indian accent) Thanks...Good luck to you though sir....Thanks

Josepy
09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Unplug from power. Pull the battery. Hold power button down for 30 seconds. There is known issue with hp and static electricity. Plug back in with battery still out. Turn on laptop. This has fixed the issue with 5 laptops now that I have worked on. This was a solution HP gave us for it.

badass88gt
09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Already tried Joe, thanks though!

Josepy
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=1842189&lang=

badass88gt
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Yup, already found that, but I have a dv7 which isn't on their list but I have the same symptoms as the models that are included in that so I gotta try calling..

xxsn0blindxx
09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't have any experience with this specific laptop model, but typically if you plug something in and it causes a power off it's due to a short. My first suggestion would have been to check the AC adapter, but you already replaced it. I would try OHM'ing the connector and see if it has a short.

Gregor
09-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Is the power/AC jack in the laptop loose Dan? My Toshiba had the same problem.

badass88gt
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Nope, everything is nice and tight.

PB86MCSS
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Not to thread hi-jack but I was going to post something similar enough, only with a HP desktop that I have. Had it powered off, came back from being away for the weekend and it turned on but wouldn't boot the PC. Tried re-booting a few times, then turned the power cord on/off, now nothing turns on even. Held in the power button for 5-10 seconds unplugged without any change. Unplugged all items from the back, plugged the PC directly into a good wall power source, nothing. Light on back at power source flashes slowly, slightly faster when plugged in. Unplugged power cord from motherboard items and when plugged in light stays lit, does this mean motherboard issue? According to what I found online it does lean that way or another part failure. PC is 5 years old but I've been happy with it and not ready to pay for a new one yet....I found a replacement motherboard online for as low as $85 shipped, not sure if I should pull the trigger or have someone look at it locally.

PB86MCSS
09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I tried a couple things this evening. One was testing all the terminals for proper voltage at the motherboard connector from the power supply, all checked out ok. Jumped the terminals to get the fan on and the power supply "running" on its own, although that doesn't do much good. I got the supply in and while the supply had power unplugged/plugged the motherboard connector and also the power button connection. Either it was a loose connection, which I doubt since I checked them over a few times, or I shocked the system somehow by messing with a few connections. But it works...I'd like this to last me another 1-2 years. Cleaned out the dust (holy crap!) inside, hopefully it doesn't act up again.

Back to the topic at hand...

badass88gt
09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, called HP. They will be happy to help me out for $398. I have a couple of local guys that can do the job for me.

I wonder, can I test the power socket to verify that is he problem and not the motherboard?

fivonut
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, called HP. They will be happy to help me out for $398. I have a couple of local guys that can do the job for me.

I wonder, can I test the power socket to verify that is he problem and not the motherboard?

Short answer, yes...

xxsn0blindxx
09-22-2010, 08:12 PM

I would try OHM'ing the connector and see if it has a short.

badass88gt
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Are you talking about the socket on the side of the laptop or the connector at the end of the cord?

How do I ohm it? I do have a digital multitester.

xxsn0blindxx
09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm talking about the port on the side of your laptop where the power cord plugs into. I'm assuming it is the round type with a single pin in the middle. The contacts on the inside perimeter of the port are ground and the pin in the center is positive. With the battery removed test the port with your multimeter by touching a lead on the ground and a lead on the positive pin. If you get 0 resistance there is a short. Be careful to not cross the leads or touch both positive and ground or you will get a false reading. If the port is a multi pin connector and has 2 pins, one is positive and the other is ground. If it has more than 1 lead then you will need to get a pin diagram first.