PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a vehicle that is part of an estate...

03CVLX
09-18-2010, 02:45 PM
So I have been asked to help out my parents in dealing with a vehicle that is part of an Estate. It was my Mothers cousins who passed away who we had little to no contact with over the last few years. It is a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with around 93K on it. I took a few minutes to look at this truck and unfortunately it is pretty rough. It barely runs when its cold etc.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before. It will probably be sold once my family becomes executor of the estate etc. Is there anyone on here who might be willing to help me out and take a look at it on the side?

Apparently what has to happen is any work that is done to it, I must pay for up front and then it gets billed to the estate for reimbursement . I don't have a whole lot of extra dough to throw at this thing but would like to get it running better and cleaned up to prep it for sale.

If anyone has any ideas or might be willing to give me a hand reply here or shoot me a PM. Thanks

outlawgibbs
09-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Im off of work right now so Id be glad to help in any way I can.....

03CVLX
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks, I will Pm you as I figure out more about this truck. Not even sure exactly how soon I can legally have someone start giving me an estimate on what it needs. I have heard now is ok and then I have heard we have to wait until the courts approve my family as executors of the estate. Waiting on attorneys to confirm.

4eyedstang
09-18-2010, 03:35 PM
don't waste to much money on it. i basically had to give mine away. check kbb and local listing to see what you can expect to get before you spend anything.

Car Guy
09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
don't waste to much money on it. i basically had to give mine away. check kbb and local listing to see what you can expect to get before you spend anything.

This is great advice and my first thoughts also, you might be better off selling as-is.....

outlawgibbs
09-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Thats very true but your not going to know till you go over it and see how much it would cost to fix it. If its something little its worth it to get it running good and if its going to cost more then what its worth then yes I agree to just dump it. Remember its almost fall so people are going to start looking for 4x4s for winter.

03CVLX
09-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I think that is the best bet start out with an estimate and go from there. I definitely can't and won't sink lots of money into it. My moms cousin had a caretaker staying with her, and the only thing she could tell me was it needed a spider sensor....Whatever in the hell that is. :rolf Said they got an estimate for about 600 from some unknown shop. I also could have sworn I heard something hissing like there was a really good vacuum leak somewhere. I also know that the A/C is DOA but don't know whats wrong.

Slow Joe
09-19-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm with the guys above that say sell it as is. Even fixed up it's probably not going to net you much over 3k since it's in rough shape.

Ricky Bobby
09-19-2010, 09:42 AM
That spider system sounds like the fuel injection under he throttle body

03CVLX
09-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Very possible. When the truck is cold, it will start and run but the rpms will surge. Then it smooths out as it gets warmer. If you try to give it a little gas it has no power and wont rev up at all until it gets to full operating temp. There is no check engine light on, but I am still gonna throw my scan tool on it see if there are any codes at all.

My definition of rough may be throwing people off, I call it rough cause I'd never let one of my vehicles ever get like this. Body is mint except for one of the license plate lights is broken in back. Interior needs to be scrubbed terribly. Needs both Sunvisors since apparently she felt she needed the Vanity mirrors somplace else in her house :rolf Motor needs fixed, and A/C needs to be recharged. Most of this is fairly easy stuff I guess. Just needs lots of cleaning.

BR3W CITY
09-19-2010, 11:26 AM
the 'spider thing" isn't a sensor, its a maze of tubes that ran the fuel injection system on late 90's 4.3, before they switched to a regulare multi port injection.

It is somewhat costly to replace (200+ for the part alone), and nothing prevents it from failing the same way the stock unit did. the grommets for the injectors wear and you can end up spraying fuel under the engine bay. Its not unheard of for a vehicle to catch on fire from this failure.

03CVLX
09-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Ok, Now I understand. And makes alot of sense since it seems like it has no power or isn't getting fuel when you try and step on the gas. I don't know how far gone it is so I will definitely be towing or trailering it to where ever it goes.

03CVLX
10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok, Well I went back over and took a second look at this truck. And I think I found the real problem.... See my awful pictures below :D

I knew I heard what sounded like a major vacuum leak!!!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00037-20101006-1340.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00038-20101006-1340.jpg

I am not too famillar with the GM 4.3s this hose runs from upon quick inspection the drivers side valve cover and goes up to the intake. I am pretty sure its the PCV valve hose and when I plug it back together as best as I can, the truck runs as smooth as silk and you can still hear a little leak. Can anyone help me confirm my suspicions so I can go get the replacement parts tomorrow?

brotherbenn83
10-07-2010, 06:11 AM
yeah those pics do suck, but it looks like you are on the vacuum line from the pcv valve to the plastic fitting that twists into the intake manifold. you can just rotate that fitting about 60 degrees counter clockwise at the intake to get it out completely when you get a replacement line. You could either order a properly formed replacement line from a dealer, or just try using bulk vacuum line, and just hope it doesn't collapse.

03CVLX
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah those pics do suck, but it looks like you are on the vacuum line from the pcv valve to the plastic fitting that twists into the intake manifold. you can just rotate that fitting about 60 degrees counter clockwise at the intake to get it out completely when you get a replacement line. You could either order a properly formed replacement line from a dealer, or just try using bulk vacuum line, and just hope it doesn't collapse.

Thanks!! This is exactly what it was. Holz had the line in stock for 14 bucks, picked it up this morning and just got back from putting it in. Truck runs 100% better. When I started I had 6 codes in my scanner. I swapped the PCV line and reset everything and drove it. It still has a pretty serious hesitation in it at higher speeds. When I got back to the house. I scanned it again and it had just one code. P0101 which I believe is the MAF sensor. I will probably try cleaning it, but I wouldn't doubt that it needs to be replaced.

70 cutlass 442
10-08-2010, 12:02 AM
would you like to donate it to us and get a tax break?

03CVLX
10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Im honestly not sure how that will work since its tied up in the estate. Ill keep it in mind though.

03CVLX
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
So I fixed all of the driveabilty issues with a 14 dollar vacuum line and a bottle of Mass air flow sensor cleaner. :headbang. Truck runs like a million bucks, and as far as I can tell DOES NOT need the spider assembly.

Here is a few pics.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00021-20101014-1731.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00020-20101014-1731.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00017-20101014-1730.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/IMG00022-20101014-1732.jpg

If everything else checks out ok tomorrow, I think I may end up keeping it. Then its time to hand Yoosof project Blazer.....:devil He may hate me when he sees it though.. Interior needs some miracles worked on it.

hrsp
10-14-2010, 09:29 PM
or you can sell it to me...:)

Yeehaw
10-14-2010, 11:29 PM
that's not a diesel tom...