PDA

View Full Version : Brake line

03Seville
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew where to get a new brake line for my explorer... Its a '97 Limited

everywhere Ive looked I can only come up with the universal do it yourself kit and I have no experience with those at all.

If not, how difficult is the install for a kit such as this http://www.jcwhitney.com/brake-lines/p2018112.jcwx?filterid=j1

Holeshot
09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
If your looking for pre bent factory steel line forget about it. Bending is a breeze. Its the ends that can be a pain if your not careful. Bubble flaring is a little more complicated the double flaring. You just need the proper tool. Never ever use compression fittings on brake lines. Always use threaded unions to join lines if you have to.

Car Guy
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Pre-flared lines with fittings are also available; I highly recommend this route if you have little or no experience flaring lines. Also, there is no need for a flaring tool with pre-flared lines.....

Holeshot
09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Pre-flared lines with fittings are also available; I highly recommend this route if you have little or no experience flaring lines. Also, there is no need for a flaring tool with pre-flared lines.....

Very true . Forgot to mention this. Most parts stores carry different lengths of line and any adaptors you would need.

03Seville
09-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah Ive seen other people deal with the bubble flaring before but have never attempted it myself...

Just out of curiosity whats a roundabout price range on any and all tools involved?

The person who previously owned this truck was a complete idiot... She said the brakes were getting bad before it died on her (bad fuel pump)

Well as for the brakes, I dont know how she was still driving it, this is what I found...

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz43/tewig1/0913001501a.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz43/tewig1/downsized_0913001501.jpg

and worst of all this is what was left of the caliper
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz43/tewig1/0913001542.jpg

Car Guy
09-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Plenty of life left in those brakes.....:goof

Holeshot
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Well I see calipers rotors and pads . I would get a price for loaded calipers ( means comes with pads and hardware ) rotors and possibly hoses to. May as well do it right the first time and be done with it. When you install new rotors make sure the hub face is clean and free of rust debris. Other wise you could get a pedal pulsation and prematurely ware your brakes.

BoosTT
09-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Preflared lines are dirt cheap. If you bend it wrong, just buy a new one.

Car Guy
09-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Preflared lines are dirt cheap. If you bend it wrong, just re-bend as needed.

:thumbsup

03Seville
09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Well I see calipers rotors and pads . I would get a price for loaded calipers ( means comes with pads and hardware ) rotors and possibly hoses to. May as well do it right the first time and be done with it. When you install new rotors make sure the hub face is clean and free of rust debris. Other wise you could get a pedal pulsation and prematurely ware your brakes.

Replaced all rotors and pads today. The caliper in the pic is the only one that was actually bad as far as i could tell so I replaced it (obviously) right away...

I didnt really expect the line to break which is why I came here lol... I have limited experience in that area and I figured Id get some better advice from you guys.

Preflared lines are dirt cheap. If you bend it wrong, just buy a new one.

Preflared lines are dirt cheap. If you bend it wrong, just re-bend as needed.

Thanks, probably end up going that route... sounds like the best option...
Was really planning on flaring the lines myself and Im sure it wouldve ended up with quite a few failed attempts lol

Car Guy
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Replaced all rotors and pads today. The caliper in the pic is the only one that was actually bad as far as i could tell so I replaced it (obviously) right away...

Always replace calipers in pairs.....

03Seville
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Always replace calipers in pairs.....

wow... ive heard that before too ... I have no idea why I wasnt thinking about that when I went and bought the one...

def going to have to make a run in the morning and get the other lol

DRK
09-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I just did the brake line from the master to the rear on a friends exploder, it was $22 IIRC from Ford. I did the same one on a XJ last year that was $35 or so from Jeep factory bent and flared.