PDA

View Full Version : New Lightning owner!

OxmanWI
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
As of today I own a 1999 SVT Lightning. Picked her up this afternoon in Madison and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'll have some pictures in a couple weeks, since I've been so busy with the job and new house I haven’t been posting for a while on BCM.

If you guys have any suggestions or comments feel free, I plan on getting it dyno tuned with Marv at C&M with a SCT X-Cal2 and a SCT MAF. It also needs some new headlights, tails, fogs and grilles. (Don't worry keeping the stock look)

But other then that I love it, great truck!

Some mods and specs

- Forged 5.4 bored .20 over, Manley H-Beam rods, Diamond pistons, APR studded heads, Comp (SC) Cams, Cobra R water pump, Motorsport oil pump.
- Kenne Bell SC
- Accufab single blade throttle body with inlet pipe.
- 60lb injectors
- Accel coils
- Bassani headers, mid pipe with mac cat back.
- Tranny has precision industries 2800 stall converter, AFCO twin cooling fans with twin fan heat exchangers.
- Diablo sport tune
- Comp engeneering slide a link suspension, 4:10 gears, rear drop shackels, driveshaft loop.

Thanks guys!

Josh

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/oxman64/SSPX0085.jpg

0TransAm0
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
sweet. post up some pics!!! you should know by now that's a requirement with threads like this :D

BlackLightning
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
bad ass. glad you got a prebuilt one as it's cheaper in the long run. I would take the trip and have Bob Kurgan tune it before he moves. Let's see some pics. :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Nice.. sounds like a bad ass ride. Congrats.

Nix
09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice choice. I've always been a fan of those trucks. Like stated above, post some fucking pics!! lol

Yooformula
09-13-2010, 06:10 PM
very nice! congrats on the badass new truck!

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes ! Congratulations. Sounds extremely sick got to be a piece north of 500 ponies available under the hood in that ole' F-One Fitty ?

Somedays I almost wish I would have bought a Lightning instead of my Terminator.

Looking forward to the pics.

nismodave
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Congrats, Lightnings are cool!!

OxmanWI
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM

I think I saw your car at AutoZone today in the Falls!

pOrk
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Sounds about right for that Nissan...

jbiscuit
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM

except for Animal's :rolf :rolf Just kiddin dude!

nismodave
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Yup, Cleaning supplys.

Sounds about right for that Nissan...

You can talk when you ever own a car thats even half as cool......And Malibus with pig stickers dont count. :loser

hrsp
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
congrats and post pics!!!!

animal
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Nice. I'd love to check it out sometime. How much boost on the ol' kb?

Which KB is it? the cast aluminum one or the billet one?

OxmanWI
09-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm waiting for my firefighter plates, so I can't drive it right now. When I take pictures I go all out and find a spot to take some great pictures with my Cannon.

It's the older KB, cast aluminum. I have the 2.75 pulley on there with a 9 inch crank. 10-12 PSI? Yea I’m in the Falls now, stop by whenever.

The guy who sold it to me had put the Bassani off road mid pipes and I hate the sound, too loud for my taste. I’d rather hear the blower then a super loud exhaust that I’d get pulled over for. Plus there are no cats throwing a CEL for that. There's a Diablo chip tune, which is an old tune (6 years ago). It has the stock 80mm L-MAF and needs to be updated to a newer 90mm L-MAF or SCT-MAF with a good dyno tune from C&M. He had put 4.10s in the rear a couple years ago and never updated the tune, the speedo is off by 15 mph on the highway. Other than that, she’s a beast and love the truck.
:D

animal
09-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Lol... 10-12? 2.3 kb on a exhaust manifold + high flow cat exhaust... the 8.5" x 3.25" pulley combo is getting 14-15psi based on the L forums. I'd say you're more like 18-19 psi with that pulley combo. ;) Perhaps 17-18 with the small headers and offroad tho. I suppose I could be wrong.

Does it have the sheetmetal intake plenum or the stock cast one?

Definitely go get a sct maf with that combo. Is there a mafia or something there? i can't believe you can even give it gas with the old 80mm there... in fact i'd be afraid to get in boost at all with it like it sits.

Did the guy give you any dyno numbers? I'd bet it's in the 550-600rwhp/650-700tq range or so with those specs. Should be a monster with a maf and tune.

GTSLOW
09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Sounds like one hell of a truck!!!

animal
09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Based on what i know of those kb's... that thing is singing a sweet tune at that rpm as well ;)

Also... sounds like the original owner either didn't know what he was doing, didn't care about doing things right, or took off a bunch of shit before selling it.

OxmanWI
09-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Lol... 10-12? 2.3 kb on a exhaust manifold + high flow cat exhaust... the 8.5" x 3.25" pulley combo is getting 14-15psi based on the L forums. I'd say you're more like 18-19 psi with that pulley combo. ;) Perhaps 17-18 with the small headers and offroad tho. I suppose I could be wrong.

Does it have the sheetmetal intake plenum or the stock cast one?

Definitely go get a sct maf with that combo. Is there a mafia or something there? i can't believe you can even give it gas with the old 80mm there... in fact i'd be afraid to get in boost at all with it like it sits. What is the mafia? Aftermarket MAF?

Did the guy give you any dyno numbers? I'd bet it's in the 550-600rwhp/650-700tq range or so with those specs. Should be a monster with a maf and tune.

I could be wrong too, so not sure on the PSI. It has the stock cast plenum. No dyno sheets, just receipts and documents for the parts and labor. Yeah for sure, I'm not going to drive it anywhere until everything is set up nice and a new tune is in.

Based on what i know of those kb's... that thing is singing a sweet tune at that rpm as well ;)

Also... sounds like the original owner either didn't know what he was doing, didn't care about doing things right, or took off a bunch of shit before selling it.

He was a nice guy, but yea I was disappointed in a couple things. Overall I got a great deal and it's a great truck.

OxmanWI
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
picture on post #1

animal
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice. If you want to trade up the chrome for silver rims let me know i have a set of 99-00 rims i'm doing nothing with. :)

animal
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
He was a nice guy, but yea I was disappointed in a couple things. Overall I got a great deal and it's a great truck.

I sent u a pm man. Lemme know and maybe we can meet up sometime i'd love to check this one out.

animal
09-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I will say black is the fastest lightning color but this red one sure will make a good argument ;)

BlackLightning
09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
looks good even though it's red ;) :thumbsup

BlackLightning
09-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I will say black is the fastest lightning color but this red one sure will make a good argument ;)

you ever get that KC installed or is it sitting collecting dust?

animal
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
you ever get that KC installed or is it sitting collecting dust?

Neither... the box is closed so there's no dust on it :goof

I'm lazy it would appear. :)

OxmanWI
09-17-2010, 08:03 AM
i think ill keep the rims for now. :) What is a KC? I think i got lucky with the Red. That is the color i wanted since i was looking. Ill have to say i really liked the sonic blue or midnight grey as well.

xxtremeteam
09-17-2010, 08:32 AM
cool truck, did you get the stock hood? or does it need a different hood do to super charger swap? but congrats

OxmanWI
09-17-2010, 08:41 AM
cool truck, did you get the stock hood? or does it need a different hood do to super charger swap? but congrats

It's a aftermarket fiberglass, you don't need to change out hoods for the swap. Thanks bro!

PureSound15
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
i think ill keep the rims for now. :) What is a KC? I think i got lucky with the Red. That is the color i wanted since i was looking. Ill have to say i really liked the sonic blue or midnight grey as well.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/KC-SVTL/2001-03-F-150-SVT-Lightning-Killer-Chiller-System.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=KC-SVTL&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=KC-SVTL

animal
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/KC-SVTL/2001-03-F-150-SVT-Lightning-Killer-Chiller-System.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=KC-SVTL&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=KC-SVTL

Or simply killerchiller.com ;)

OxmanWI
09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Few questions:

1. Can I upgrade to a 2001+ Computer? What difference would that make? (couple threads on NLOC) Since I'm going to be making more than 500 at the wheels, what MAF would you guys recommend? Would a 90mm L-MAF be ok?

2. Just to make sure, I think I'm right, but I should ask. For the exhaust, the first pair of O2 sensors are BEFORE the cats and the second are BEHIND the cats, right? I'm going to drop the mid-pipes and clamp in some magnaflow cats.

3. With the older cast aluminum KB kit, does that mean I might still have the leaky innercooler system?

4. Where is the computer located, in the passenger side kick panel?

5. I know I need it tuned, before I start driving it. What would you recommend for this set up?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

BlackLightning
09-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Few questions:

1. Can I upgrade to a 2001+ Computer? What difference would that make? (couple threads on NLOC) Since I'm going to be making more than 500 at the wheels, what MAF would you guys recommend? Would a 90mm L-MAF be ok?
YOu shou
2. Just to make sure, I think I'm right, but I should ask. For the exhaust, the first pair of O2 sensors are BEFORE the cats and the second are BEHIND the cats, right? I'm going to drop the mid-pipes and clamp in some magnaflow cats.

3. With the older cast aluminum KB kit, does that mean I might still have the leaky innercooler system?

5. I know I need it tuned, before I start driving it. What would you recommend for this set up?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

1. I think you will need an extender or a BA2600. I haven't heard of swapping PCM's.
2. there are 4 cats on the L. The front ones are said to be the bottleneck in the stock system. You have to leave the front o2's and the rears will be turned off in the tune.
3. you can have your vin checked to see if the IC recall was done or not. If it wasn't you can get a used IC and 01+ midplate in the classifieds usually.
4. yes under the glovebox on the side wall.
5. change plugs and fuel filter. I'm assuming that's what you were asking.

check out lightningrodder.com as it has alot more traffic then nloc.

animal
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Few questions:

Thanks for any help!

Josh

Ok this is too much to type here for me. PM me back from the pm i sent you last week. I'd love to check out the truck and I can probably answer a shit ton of questions for you at the same time :)

Otherwise... i'd agree with most of what BL said.

OxmanWI
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Animal I sent you a PM back twice, I'm free today and Tuesday & Wednesday of next week if you want to stop by, let me know.

Another thing. I found out that I have the stock fuel pump in the tank, someone on lightning rodder said it should be good up to 800 HP, but I don't know about that. What kind of pump should I get to support my set up?

Thanks,

Josh

animal
09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Animal I sent you a PM back twice, I'm free today and Tuesday & Wednesday of next week if you want to stop by, let me know.

Another thing. I found out that I have the stock fuel pump in the tank, someone on lightning rodder said it should be good up to 800 HP, but I don't know about that. What kind of pump should I get to support my set up?

Thanks,

Josh

ORLY? There's not one message from you in my PM box :confused

There's no way I'd agree with the stock pumps (155's i think) going to 800. I'm skeptical that the dual 255 walbros would even be enough. Most guys at that level are running a more substantial fuel system anyway with not only pumps/injectors but rails and larger lines as well. I'm sure BL can fill you in on his setup. I don't think the 2.3 KB is enough to push you that high though. Most I ever really heard of on that setup was in the upper 600's rwhp range. Granted I haven't exactly been watching it that closely either.

I've always been kinda of the opinion the stock pumps, injectors, and maf are good to about 450-470rwhp at the top end. If seen people max the maf/injectors out at way less also.

I'll PM you my email addy.

OxmanWI
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Sent a PM, let me know if you get it. I'll call you tonight, thanks bro

animal
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Didn't get it? Try one more time i cleaned stuff up.

OxmanWI
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
PM sent

BlackLightning
09-23-2010, 07:36 PM
ORLY? There's not one message from you in my PM box :confused

There's no way I'd agree with the stock pumps (155's i think) going to 800. I'm skeptical that the dual 255 walbros would even be enough. Most guys at that level are running a more substantial fuel system anyway with not only pumps/injectors but rails and larger lines as well. I'm sure BL can fill you in on his setup. I don't think the 2.3 KB is enough to push you that high though. Most I ever really heard of on that setup was in the upper 600's rwhp range. Granted I haven't exactly been watching it that closely either.

I've always been kinda of the opinion the stock pumps, injectors, and maf are good to about 450-470rwhp at the top end. If seen people max the maf/injectors out at way less also.

I'll PM you my email addy.

yea no fucking way will stock pumps go to 800hp. The stock lines are good to about 700hp which is pushing it. The dual 255's are supposedly enough for 1000hp with upgraded lines. I would get those stockers out and swap in 2 walbro 255's.

I have aeroquip -8 feed and a -6 return with metco rails and dual 255's on mine.

OxmanWI
09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
If put duel 255s I'll be ok with the stock fuel system? Is there a write up on how to do the duel pumps, I searched everywhere on the L forums.

BlackLightning
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
If put duel 255s I'll be ok with the stock fuel system? Is there a write up on how to do the duel pumps, I searched everywhere on the L forums.

It seems odd with all that work that stock pumps would be in there. How did you go about finding out they were stock? If they are indeed stock then yes the dual walbros with the stock lines and rails will be plenty for what you have.

Here is a how to.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/113134-walbro-twin-255lph-fuel-pump-install.html

OxmanWI
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I pulled the tank down last weekend, I only peeked in there and saw the green tops on the stock pumps. I also asked the previous owner and he said stock, but from the way he sounded I had better look anyways.

Thank you very much for the write up link!:)

animal
09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Here's the pumps with install kit... add on the new fuel line and stainless y while you're at it. I don't know about the relay switch... depends if you're going to tune for the high/low or just leave it in high all the time. Not bad at around $250 for all of it.

http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/Walbro_255LPH_Dual_Fuel_Pumps_with_Install_Kit.htm l

Edit wow free shipping too. I like LFP for parts. bought a lot of stuff there.

WhatsADSM
09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Dual walbros will work. But beware walbros suck. Be very careful to not run the tank low or you will kill them very quickly and now you have 2 points of failure either of which can hurt the motor.

OxmanWI
09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
What pumps would you go with?

Dual walbros will work. But beware walbros suck. Be very careful to not run the tank low or you will kill them very quickly and now you have 2 points of failure either of which can hurt the motor.

Russ Jerome
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Dual walbros will work. But beware walbros suck. .

I know a lot of people who run them (myself as well), follow Supra and 7 second Starlet builds who have run simple W-255's and never heard of a pre mature failure?

That being said Im running a Aeromotive A-1000 on my new project, about the top choice amongst FI drag cars worldwide (many Bosch 044 users out there as well).

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/04_specs/pump%2Bfilter.jpg
They are run without a bottom sump on lots of applications but often debated on drag forums.

BlackLightning
09-25-2010, 08:47 PM
are you running some kind of pickup in the hat since it's not sumped with the a1000?

I haven't really seen any failures of the walbros that the cobra and lightning guys use. It seems the models that do fail end up being knock offs. Who else makes in tanks other then denso and bosch?

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html

animal
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I dont see a problem with them, just gas up when the tank is at 1/4 rather than <1/8. It's not like you're in the middle of the desert with 300 miles to the next stop. :)

OxmanWI
10-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Anyone want to do a Lightning meet up before the winter?

animal
10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Depends when it is. My weekends are gettin pretty busy.

animal
10-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Truck looked nice all done up yesterday man. I knew it was you instantly because of the hood nostrils. Sounded great to me even though you said it's too loud still. I was thinking maybe the headers are making it louder even with the high flows. That's the one thing I can't vouch for since i have the ol' manifolds.

BlackLightning
10-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Truck looked nice all done up yesterday man. I knew it was you instantly because of the hood nostrils. Sounded great to me even though you said it's too loud still. I was thinking maybe the headers are making it louder even with the high flows. That's the one thing I can't vouch for since i have the ol' manifolds.

the crappy mac catback along with the headers probably makes it loud. I thought mine was loud with the long tubes and silver bullet and it got even louder after going built.

Not sure how many lightnings are in this area for a meet. It seems me and animal are the only ones that post on here.

animal
10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
True, maybe the mac is louder than i had realized. Never really knew anyone that had one of those.

houstonsaxton
10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
id be interested in a lightning meet.

animal
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
id be interested in a lightning meet.

Did i just see you near the west allis dump on saturday? I gave a thumbs up from a 95 f-150 i was in.

BlueOvalBolt
10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I would show if I am free. :thumbsup Dave, I am sure Alan would make an appearance.

animal
10-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Is this something we want to do soon or later on? Packer bye week might be an ideal weekend, but that's way into november.

OxmanWI
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Haha I had no idea that was you! The exhaust was so loud in the cab I couldn't hear you beepin at me.

the crappy mac catback along with the headers probably makes it loud. I thought mine was loud with the long tubes and silver bullet and it got even louder after going built.

Not sure how many lightnings are in this area for a meet. It seems me and animal are the only ones that post on here.

Yea I was telling Dave I might get a mangaflow cat back this winter. Might help a little.

Is this something we want to do soon or later on? Packer bye week might be an ideal weekend, but that's way into november.

I'm free on the 31st, 6th-7th, 13th.

BlackLightning
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm putting mine away first weekend of november.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

houstonsaxton
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah that was me at the dump, wife said i have to use it as a truck when needed or else it would have been hard to sell her on it.

animal
10-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah that was me at the dump, wife said i have to use it as a truck when needed or else it would have been hard to sell her on it.

Cool glad I could at least mention it here... otherwise you'd prolly have thought i was just some weird envious dude in an old truck rather than a fellow lightning guy :) :alcoholic

Sonic blue always looks nice... and we all use em for work now and then. I had 1/2 yard of gravel in mine this summer.

houstonsaxton
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
i used to tow my chevelle around on it ,but since lowering it. i try not to put more than 6-7 hundred lbs in it or it bottoms out. I have seen a lot of lightnings lately, but they always are going the other direction, so i havent met to many owners.