PDA

View Full Version : WI Proposal to Restrict Registration of Imported Collector Cars to be Considered

TransAm12sec
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/email.htm?h=6640ceaed1eb6766608056ba6fb408c0&CID=1832647984&ch=55760D8A645EA79E90A630BDD4C584D6

WI Proposal to Restrict Registration of Imported Collector Cars to be Considered on Wed., Feb. 10

A hearing on a Wisconsin regulatory proposal to prohibit the registration of certain imported collector vehicles will be considered by the state’s Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees on Wednesday, September 22. The proposal, Chapter Trans 123 (“Trans 123”)/Clearinghouse Rule 09-044 (“CR 09-044”), was put forth by the WI Department of Transportation to prohibit the registration of imported vehicles manufactured after 1967 that do not meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). U.S. law specifically exempts imported vehicles that are 25 years old and older from these safety standards. Trans 123 offers no such reasonable exemption. The regulation permits the continued registration of subject vehicles that are already legally registered in Wisconsin, but only until they are transferred to a new owner. The rule is currently being reviewed by the Senate and Assembly Transportation Committees as the last step in the regulatory approval process. The committees will have until October 10, 2010 to raise an objection.

Attendance at this hearing is highly recommended for anyone who opposes Trans 123. The hearing will take place on Wednesday, September 22 at the following address and time:

State House
2 East Main Street, Room 412 E
Madison, Wisconsin
10:00 AM

For those unable to attend the hearing, we urge you to contact all members of the Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees (List Attached Below) immediately to request their opposition to Trans 123

· Imported vehicles 25 years old or older are usually brought into this country by hobbyists as unique collector vehicles.

· Trans 123 fails to recognize the fact that collector vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

· Trans 123 is inconsistent with Federal law and would prohibit the registration of vehicles coming in from other states that have already been proven safe on U.S. roads.

· Trans 123 provides no way for vehicle owners to prove that a vehicle is safe other than conforming exclusively to the FMVSS.

· Trans 123 would deny legal registration to these imported vehicles once sold or transferred to a different owner.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact all members of the Wisconsin Senate and House Transportation Committees to request their opposition to Trans 123. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Wisconsin Senate Transportation Committee

Senator Jim Holperin – Chair
Email: Sen.Holperin@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-2509

Senator Jim Sullivan
Email: Sen.Sullivan@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-2512

Senator Jeffrey Plale
Email: Sen.Plale@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-7505

Senator David Hansen
Email: Sen.Hansen@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-5670

Senator Joseph Leibham
Email: Sen.Leibham@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-2056

Senator Neal Kedzie
Email: Sen.Kedzie@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-2635

Senator Glenn Grothman
Email: Sen.Grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-7513

Wisconsin Assembly Transportation Committee

Representative John Steinbrink – Chair
Email: Rep.Steinbrink@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-0455

Representative Ted Zigmunt - Vice-Chair
Email: Rep.Zigmunt@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-9870

Representative Amy Sue Vruwink
Email: Rep.Vruwink@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-8366

Representative Phil Garthwaite
Email: Rep.Garthwaite@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-1170

Representative Jason Fields
Email: Rep.Fields@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-3756

Representative Penny Bernard Schaber
Email: Rep.BernardSchaber@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-3070

Representative Christine Sinicki
Email: Rep.Sinicki@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-8588

Representative Jerry Petrowski
Email: Rep.Petrowski@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-1182

Representative Alvin Ott
Email: Rep.Ott@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-5831

Representative Jeff Stone
Email: Rep.Stone@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-8590

Representative Garey Bies
Email: Rep.Bies@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-5350

Representative Keith Ripp
Email: Rep.Ripp@legis.wisconsin.gov
Phone: 608/266-3404

BR3W CITY
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
so its only imported rides if i read right?
hmmm. would be a shame to see some nice older Ferrari's and the kind of stuff like on "Chasing classic cars".

Would this affect any of us really tho? I think my ride is on the older side for the forum, but its american as are most of the rides here lol. Anyone here with an old euro?

JC70SS
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
they should forget about that, but instead figure out how to stop people from putting collector plates on any old POS car:flipoff2:

lordairgtar
09-10-2010, 06:25 PM
As car guys, we need to stand up for each other and not be car bigots. There will be a hearing on September 22 at the State Capitol Building. Here is a petition if you cannot attend.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDF5aldlM3BaY1FTbGFheFJ5cXpGQnc6M Q&theme=0AX42CRMsmRFbUy03NThiZTgyMi1iNWZiLTQ1ZTUtYmJ kZi00ZDMzODQ4NzA5YWI&ifq

Subject: vehicle
Topic "Clearinghouse Rule 09-044" has been scheduled for a public hearing by Committee on Transportation, Tourism, Forestry, and Natural Resources in the Senate. Date/time: September 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM. Location: 412 East, State Capitol.
Topic description: relating to registration of non-standard vehicles.

Russ Jerome
09-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I dont get why the law is proposed, short on there quota of "Stupid WI laws"?
The percentage of 25yr old 1985 Celica Gt's is right up there with my Toyota Starlet.

Doc Brown
09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
My Delorean is an Irish-built 30 year old car that would probably be affected by this. Really, it doesn't affect currently registered cars, but instead targets new registrations following a sale to someone living here. That buyer is who gets screwed simply by living in WI. Big shock there, and yet another disincentive for anyone to want to live here.

Make a stink to your legislator if you ever want to see cars like the Delorean, original VW Beetles, Ferrari 308s and other classic favorites cruising the roadways of WI in the future. If you plan on staying in the state long-term and care about that sort of thing, that is.

Russ Jerome
09-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Wisconsin: Keep your old Imports in Illinois:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFGlP8aXMVCLacc3fzJFOm7FJ_bl6On DbMl6EedxQD6htP2QU&t=1&usg=__cotMeQuOTUIV92xs-TY92NiCFRQ=

GTO Jeff
09-10-2010, 07:26 PM
My Delorean is an Irish-built 30 year old car that would probably be affected by this.

Your Delorean would not be affected unless it was imported under the "25 year old then exempt from FMVSS standards". If it was orignally sold in the US by a Delorean dealer then it is not affected by the proposed ruling.

You would be affected if you wanted to import a Porsche 959 under the 25-year exemption. Or a Ferrari 288 GTO, or carbed 512 BB. For example.

The proposed ruling sucks anyway.

GTO Jeff
09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
By the way, if you think this would suck, try buying an old car and then moving it into California. There are certain combinations of circumstances that make it impossible. And that is for cars manufactured in the US that are California smog legal and everything.

lordairgtar
09-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Wisconsin: Keep your old Imports in Illinois:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFGlP8aXMVCLacc3fzJFOm7FJ_bl6On DbMl6EedxQD6htP2QU&t=1&usg=__cotMeQuOTUIV92xs-TY92NiCFRQ=
Illinois has their own trouble with the Sec of State and the State Police. They can randomly assess the value of your car after restoration or customization and raise it and demand a tax. If you protest, they will pull your registration making it impossible to EVER license it.
http://02a1392.netsolhost.com/mcvcg/2010/05/22/secretary-of-state-official-threatens-local-rodders/
So if you don't want that kind of Draconian shit to happen here, sign the petition! Support all car people.

jbiscuit
09-10-2010, 11:38 PM
By the way, if you think this would suck, try buying an old car and then moving it into California. There are certain combinations of circumstances that make it impossible. And that is for cars manufactured in the US that are California smog legal and everything.

I just was talking to a friend about this today infact! He had a 63 Beetle here in Wi. Him and his wife moved to San Diego and he fought the state for close to 10 months to try and get the car registered for CA roads...never happened so instead he sd the car via eBay and bought a cleaner nicer 62 Beetle

NitrousPig
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Signed the petition and will write/call SEN. Neal Mckedzie on Monday. The DOT is getting absurd with stupid laws intended to keep cars that are legal to drive and in perfect working order off the road! Usually, because some liberal donkey believes that those "old" cars are unsafe for use on Wisconsin roads or are going to be a huge factor in the fight to clean up our environment. If I felt that my old cars were unsafe, I wouldn't allow my 2 year old daughter to ride with me in them, I don't care if they were imported or built right here in the USA.

I can't believe that all car people seem to turn there backs on other segments of the car enthusiast hobby just because they feel that it somehow doesn't affect them...get a clue people, it will always affect you! Laws like this always set a precedent for other absurd laws to be written.

wrath
09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Keep stacking up the reasons not to live in Wisconsin and the state won't need a bad economy to have the population decline like Michigan has.

Cryptic
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry, but when my rx7 is 20-25 years old... I'll concider that a collector. Hell, it's a collector now.

/Thread

Cryptic
09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Illinois has their own trouble with the Sec of State and the State Police. They can randomly assess the value of your car after restoration or customization and raise it and demand a tax. If you protest, they will pull your registration making it impossible to EVER license it.
http://02a1392.netsolhost.com/mcvcg/2010/05/22/secretary-of-state-official-threatens-local-rodders/
So if you don't want that kind of Draconian shit to happen here, sign the petition! Support all car people.

I dont see the petition to sign on this link

Prince Valiant
09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think it's for the state to determine whether or not something is a collector or not...or even much care about the origin of the car. All that should matter to them is whether or not it meets the general requirements of all cars (IE, blinkers, brake lights, not a danger to others) and that's that.

Russ Jerome
09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Illinois has their own trouble with the Sec of State and the State Police. .

You right, never even thought of that when posting. A guy I worked with had some State employee enter his garage with his wifes permision while he was at work, confisgated his 10yr old person plates for being inopropriate.

The same guy's dad in IL cant drive his 30's custom Ford coupe because they wont title it.

GTSLOW
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
they should forget about that, but instead figure out how to stop people from putting collector plates on any old POS car:flipoff2:

Thank you!!!!! A rusted out toyota or caprice is not a fucking collectors car.

WI Speed3
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Sounds like there is a business opportunity to register these cars as being owned by a foreign company in japan and then ship them here for use. It states that it can be legally registered until it transfers ownership. That's when the bullshit starts.

WhatsADSM
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
yea crappy legislation. I was actually considering picking up a clean R32 GT-R (although the good ones left are dwindling in numbers), once it was 2014.

Haulin' Oates
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
yea crappy legislation. I was actually considering picking up a clean R32 GT-R (although the good ones left are dwindling in numbers), once it was 2014.

You plan way to far ahead Murray.. :D

michelle
09-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Why does that bother you so much? It's a nice way to not have to pay $75 a year - instead pay $200 one time. If the car is on the road for 3 years since getting those plates, you're "saving" money.

JC70SS
09-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Why does that bother you so much? It's a nice way to not have to pay $75 a year - instead pay $200 one time. If the car is on the road for 3 years since getting those plates, you're "saving" money.

Because people are putting them on POS cars that people wouldn't give 2 shits about. They are "Collector" plates, which means a classic car that is both rare and not driven on a daily basis. For instance a 1980's rusted out chevy caprice or an old daily driven pick-up should not be allowed. This is a simple way to get out of emissions every other year and paying the yearly fee.

michelle
09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Because people are putting them on POS cars that people wouldn't give 2 shits about. They are "Collector" plates, which means a classic car that is both rare and not driven on a daily basis. For instance a 1980's rusted out chevy caprice or an old daily driven pick-up should not be allowed. This is a simple way to get out of emissions every other year and paying the yearly fee.

I guess everyone has something that bothers them. :rolleyes:

jbiscuit
09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I see Joe's point with this....I saw a Lebaron with collector plates this summer. A LEBARON! How sad :(

JC70SS
09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I know a woman that has an 88 Grand Prix with collector plates. Michelle I guess you could call it my pet peeve.

Prince Valiant
09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
What's funny is that people who eschew big gov't or gov't intrusion into our lives would welcome them determining whether or not something is simply a "collector" for an individual or not...

I mean, if the car is special to the owner, why can't he register is as he sees fit if it otherwise fits with the criteria established?

But lets face it...the reason people of such cars register them "collector" is because it's economically advantageous. If you own a couple cars, why pay registration fees yearly? Per the restrictions of registering a car a "collector" all that is important is a)you have a regularly registered car and b) you don't drive during the month of January. Some find the one time fee of the "collector" and limited restrictions far more advantageous than paying 75-95 bucks a year to register their 80's caprice or corolla.

But, then there are those who really do feel their car is a "collector" even if we don't...be it a Lebaron, Citation, Eagle AMX, or whatever. Hey clapped out or pristine, it's for the owner to decide how they wish to register it. The purpose of gov't isn't to impose YOUR own opinions and taste of value onto others.

FoxStang
09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Some find the one time fee of the "collector" and limited restrictions far more advantageous than paying 75-95 bucks a year to register their 80's caprice or corolla.

Hey now, there's definitely some collectible Corolla's around.:thumbsup

Beat me to the punch, the requirement of owning a regular car kind of defeats the point of people cheating with the plates...