PDA

View Full Version : Ready mix chute length, buggy rental?

Russ Jerome
09-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I've worked on the big Oshkosh mixxers so I know they wont fit up my little (old) driveway, anybody know how long the chutes extend too?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs652.snc4/61273_430390225697_748950697_5188148_3595163_n.jpg
I need 6 yrds of ready mix, any suggestions beyond renting a concrete buggy? For reference the red van off in distance is the street, forget offhand I need to remeasure but its all off 2 truck lengths to near curb (van across street).

Z28Envy
09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
If I remember correctly the shoots are 3 feet long and they carry 4 of them. 12 feet sounds about right for how long the shoot will stick out with all of them on. From the looks of the driveway it would be hard to back a truck on too the driveway plus with 6 yards on and the weight of the truck itself I wouldn't risk him backing on the driveway because it going to crack unless its reenforced concrete. I used to be a tender for years and did a lot of flat work. In that situation we would probably have about 3 wheelbarrels and would have been wheeling it in from the street while 1 or 2 guys screeded it out.

Russ Jerome
09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Yah Im gutsy but the 1924 foundation to the house is directly under footing of driveway.
Researching those buggy's now, just dont want to piss off driver waiting on me to move it.

Russ Jerome
09-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Stupid idea after looking at buggy prices:
http://www.fabcorents.com/fr/products/pwrbuggies.asp
My old 3/4 pickup cant get more rugged looking, use the bed as my transport buggy up driveway and let the old leftover concrete scale away in the bed. Weld tailgate shut and rig up a gate like we do on dump trucks to dump out back?

Z28Envy
09-10-2010, 01:44 AM
How many people are you going to have helping you? I wouldn't fill the truck to full because you don't want the concrete to start to set up in the truck, it will get hard to work with. The cooler temps will help you and give you more time but if you are out in the sun with it the mix will set up faster. The driver may ask you how much water you want in it. They will have a good idea how you should have it but if the mix is dryer it will set up faster and make you work faster to get it leveled out and floated. If it's too wet it will be like working with soup.

Car Guy
09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Using your truck is a good idea but might not work as well as you think. I spent 20 hours this week on a power buggy and would happily pay the $75 rental fee if in your shoes.....

Cjburn
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I used to do flatwork, and I drove a buggy only once on a coworker's side job. Works good, but a lot more messy than a wheel barrow, less accuracy, and would probably mean a bit more work with a come-a-long moving it around. Honestly, buggies require more screwing around than wheeling it. Call a couple friends, run three barrows, and be done with it. That doesn't look like a hard run with a wheel barrow either, make sure there is a break between any garage slab and exterior concrete. Outside concrete should have a slope to it, where as the garage slab should be level. Especially what looks like an easy strike off from the sides of the existing slab. You should also tie in the existing to the new, using a hammer drill to drill into the existing, tie in using 3/8 rebar, it will prevent any future settling from causing elevation changes.

Russ Jerome
09-11-2010, 08:59 PM
One solid slab, garage is getting a 14' bump out, rebar in old slab inside and out,tamped stone has been in for 5yrs so actualy better underlayment than the 40yr old garage :)

$75 a day is cool for a powerbuggy if I could take a day off work otherwise it will require 2 day minimum rental if deliverd. The videos of operation online look easy.

I have pics printed, gonna take them around to ready mix suppliers and contractors to seek advice or quote for labor...I dont have 3 freinds much less sober ones with wheelbarrows :)

Cjburn
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
If you can't get much help, then a buggy is the way to go. Just be careful when dumping it, or you will spend too much time moving it around.

Russ Jerome
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Its 100' from curb too garage, 60' from curb to house leaving 40' span if they will at least pull up. Have pictures and measurments in hand, gonna walk in to the ready mix places and see what they suggest.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/680_Pouring_Concrete.shtml
This a nearly exactly my scenario down to the slab size, the description of wheel barrow use requires too many people on a specific date/location.

pOrk
09-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Russ I can help, have wheel barrow too

MurphysLaw88GT
09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
My uncle drives a cement truck for Ace, I can ask him.

WickedSix
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Russ when u want to do this? not the best with a float but i can run a wheelbarrow back and forth for ya

Russ Jerome
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Well if it comes down to it I'll start a seperate free beer/ burgers thread, here is the far shot, truck would be on street with chute 12'-20' into driveway:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs310.ash2/59068_431731640697_748950697_5222216_4311444_n.jpg
Curb to garage is 100', steps from house to garage 60', the incline in drive tappers off quickly, possibly non extistant depending on drivers parking and chute. Im getting a couple quotes for labor, should know this week.