PDA

View Full Version : need network help

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a linksys (sysco) wireless router. I can't get my girlfriends laptop to connect to it. So far every device in my house connects to it without a hitch.... except for her laptop. Here is a list of the devices currently connected wirelessly with 0 problems.

Mini-laptop running Windows XP pro
my iphone
her ipod touch
desktop wireless card running windows 7 home pro

Router details:

Linksys 802.11n router (brand new, purchased last month)
WPA-2/WPA mixed security enabled

every other device connected fine except for her laptop running windows vista. I don't know what to do. All the computers are operating on the same workgroup. Her laptop asks me for the router password, I type it in, it starts connecting, then the message changes to some shit like "connection is taking longer then usual" and then it just says it can't connect, even though everything else connected just fine. Any suggestions?

Holeshot
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Make sure you have the proper drivers installed.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=5470&donelr=1

05caddyext
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Did you try running the wireless connection wizard? This should get you going. Also, try hooking up the computer with an ethernet cable and then accessing your routers security page like the 102.168.109230. You might need to change some settings on the vista machine to allow it to connect, sounds like some sort of security problem with vista not liking what it sees from the router.

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
perhaps. I just found it strange the vista machine is the only one that will not connect. I just got my new desktop today, I took it out of the box, turned it on, selected my network, entered my password, and was online 3 seconds later. Is vista really that horrible? I've never worked with it before... Until today with my new windows 7 machine, all I dealt with for networking stuff was xp.

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I cant find the wireless connection wizard in vista.

and the drivers for my linksys device appear to be the same for any version of windows according to their support page

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
problem fixed. I changed my security settings to wpa2 and now all is good. Don't understand why that fixed it but thats honestly all I did

Myles
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a linksys (sysco) wireless router. ?

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
for someone to find such rich humor in misspelling the router brand name (cisco) and mistakenly type a food distribution company, you clearly need to get off a computer and go enjoy the sunlight more then once a year. go back to warcraft... you're no longer needed here.

Myles
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
for someone to find such rich humor in misspelling the router brand name (cisco) and mistakenly type a food distribution company, you clearly need to get off a computer and go enjoy the sunlight more then once a year. go back to warcraft... you're no longer needed here.

Sorry, I work with Cisco equipment all day (not re-branded linksys routers). So seeing that made me laugh. It's ok though, I know you are mentally challenged.

I would go out and enjoy sunlight more but unfortunately I am stuck indoors on a computer 8-10 hours a day for work.

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
well I never claimed to be a computer wizard, but for some reason, when I was quickly typing out my thread, it just seemed right in my mind. In hindsight, it is kinda humorous though :D