PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a tv. Suggestions?

LEWETHETIGER73
09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
It's been about 6 years since I worked at Flanners and now that they are gone I don't know where to look. Any suggestions? Would like to get a 46"+ dlp but it doesn't look like the sell anything smaller then a 60" anymore. Definetly not a plasma

Nix
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
American TV, they have always been helpful and good prices. Try them out.

Or there are some member on the board here that work at Best Buy. Maybe they will chime in and help out.

On a different note, did you happen to know Mike Adelmeyer when you worked at Flanners.

05caddyext
09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
why not a plasma? great picture quality. dlp would be bottom of my list.

LEWETHETIGER73
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
plasma's have a greater burn in chance and are costly to fix. the newer dlp's that I saw was easier to fix and had a better life and excellent pic quality.

Yeah I knew Mike. I race with him at trackside. I heard he started up his own repair gig. Already left him a message.

nismodave
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
4 things to know.

www.Cnet.com

LED (or LCD, I love my lcd but wish I had spent more for LED)

Best Buy

Samsung

88Nightmare
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I bought one of the new C series of Samsung LCD's. Its only a 37" but I love it. Samsung has excellent quality, great customer service, and my last samsung lcd lasted 4 flawless years before I stepped up in size.

BoosTT
09-08-2010, 08:17 AM
DLP's are easy to fix, but also break the most. My samsung 56" dlp broke after about 10 months. $1000 warranty 15 minute fix.

Don't blow of plasma's so quick. They have a nice dark black that looks awesome.

03Seville
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Plasma > DLP

Burn in risk has drastically dropped over the years and DLP is almost guaranteed to need something replaced before a plasma.

LCD/LED is my top pick though... especially if you have a room with alot of light (even the anti-glare plasmas are pretty bad compared to LCD)

Besides LCD/LED use less energy and have a longer life span...

GHOSST
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
LG, their TV's are cheap in price and great in quality.

DynoTom
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Don't blow of plasma's so quick. They have a nice dark black that looks awesome.

I prefer a plasma over lcd / led......To me the colors are so much more vibrant and rich looking....

Cryptic
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Samsung LED

I have the 8000 series 55", no complaints. The ridiculously high contrast ratio helps alot in a room that is nothing but wall to wall picture windows.

A 7000 series would do anyone just fine though. I really don't see the need for 240hz vs 120hz.

Plasma's will have the best blacks/darks. That's a fact. They also create a ton of heat though.

Korndogg
09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
LG, their TV's are cheap in price and great in quality.

lol....no

LG is terrible.

wikked
09-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Flanner's is gone? When did this happen?

hrsp
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
i have a 55" vizio 240hz LED and a 58" samsung plasma...i prefer the plasma picture slightly over the led...

Best advice i can give is go look at them in person...everyone has different tastes in picture quality...just avoid the way off brands...not worth the few bucks youll save

Nix
09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Flanner's is gone? When did this happen?

Awhile ago, they had bank issues.

They tried to come back but from my understanding nobody wanted to touch them. No one wanted to finance them.

In reality they we wayyyy overpriced, but they really did know their stuff and were always very helpful.

Got Boost
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually Flanners just reopned... Colders bought them... I hated Flanners all Arrogant sales people ,,, They thought what they sold was the best and everything else was crap... There home audio was garbage.... If you dont like Plasma ( I dont know why it is the superior display) get a LED ....Sports look better on a Plasma no screen door effect...But it does get hot and there heavy..

deuceWI
09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Awhile ago, they had bank issues.

They tried to come back but from my understanding nobody wanted to touch them. No one wanted to finance them.

In reality they we wayyyy overpriced, but they really did know their stuff and were always very helpful.

I guessing the internet killed them.

Went to Flanners with the old man to check out TVs because they had a nice showroom and it was a great place to compare good TVs side by side. Then we shopped for better prices and saved quite a few hundred dollars.

That, and no one needs a professional installer to come out and plug in a HDMI cable. HDMI has made home entertainment setups virtually foolproof. And cheap for cable$!

05caddyext
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I went to flanners before they closed to buy a really long hdmi cable for my house. They wanted over $400 for the cable. I also went to get some wallplates, just simple banana plug wallplates with the screw downs, they were almost $15 each. I bought a bag of them at menards for 6 bucks. Thats why they went out of business.

Nix
09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Actually Flanners just reopned... Colders bought them... I hated Flanners all Arrogant sales people ,,, They thought what they sold was the best and everything else was crap... There home audio was garbage.... If you dont like Plasma ( I dont know why it is the superior display) get a LED ....Sports look better on a Plasma no screen door effect...But it does get hot and there heavy..

Do you know when they reopened? If Colders did buy them maybe they will actually have competive prices now. I would also guess it's all new employees?

modmachz
09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I have a Toshiba 55" LED and it fuckin is the best god dam picture I ever seen..

Highly recommend this TV

IcePickFreak
09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
2-1/2 years with a Samsung plasma and 0 issues so far.

badass88gt
09-09-2010, 06:20 AM
I compared my Panasonic plasma right next to my buddies new Samsung 240hz 1080 LCD and I am glad I bought my plasma. Maybe it was our calibration settings, he bought the fancy disc and I just went on AVSforums and got my settings but my colors and picture blew his away.

Images burning into the screen are a thing of the past. My kids play the Wii on it constantly and I get no image retention or burn-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Bag
09-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Why are you ruling out a plasma? They are truly the best as far as color depth and picture quality goes. Image retention is almost a non issue nowdays.

0TransAm0
09-09-2010, 07:25 AM
i have a HP 42" plasma. about 5 years old and never had a problem. picture still looks as good as it did the day i bought it.

hrsp
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
any update yet?

LEWETHETIGER73
09-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Not really, this weekend I plan on getting it. And to be honest I am starting to think about plasmas. I guess since I was so close to the whole repair part and seeing all the issues I just ruled it out immediatly. I might be willing to give it a chance though. It also looks like I will be going with samsung. Now we just have to figure out a size and where to get it at. Thanks for all the help!

94greenbandit
09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I really like Samsung. I got a 55" LCD and for what it is it works great for me and the family

deuceWI
09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Saw this in my inbox this morning.

42" 1080p $500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005137

Yeah, there's better stuff out there, but Wow! only $500!

Got Boost
09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Do you know when they reopened? If Colders did buy them maybe they will actually have competive prices now. I would also guess it's all new employees?
I believe they reopned 2 weeks ago... They had a tent sale of all the Items Flanners lost in the B/K....Might be this weekend too...(Not shure)... And I overhead a sales guy telling a customer they retained all but 1 Flanners employee,,,