PDA

View Full Version : Catylitic Converter / Scrap Metal

Slow Joe
09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Anyone know where to take cat converters and scrap metal to get some cash out of it?

I have a couple cat converters sitting in the garage, and a bunch of rotors and drums...

GTSLOW
09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
What kind of cars did they come out of?

Ricky Bobby
09-07-2010, 07:18 PM

way to answer the ? i believe any scrap yard will take them as for prices i dont know which one is the best i just take mine down to miller compressing or when J worked there auto&scrap

Anakonda69
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
miller compressing.

Burgandy85SS
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM
miller compressing.

x3

portponies
09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I took some converters in on Saturday to a local place. They only paid $8 each.

Car Guy
I deal with somebody who will give more than anybody else guaranteed. I need to cash in a few and will be seeing him soon if you would like to leave them with me. I currently live in Oak Creek off of Howell & Ryan but my place of employment is on 113th & Greenfield......

0TransAm0
when you go can you see what they are getting for aluminum cans these days? i have a good 10-15 55gal bags of crushed cans.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Waukeyshaw Iron.

http://www.waukeshairon.com/

Car Guy
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Forgot to mention, Miller Compressing sucks the big one......:thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Forgot to mention, Miller Compressing sucks the big one......:thumbsup

Not when you know the people who write your ticket:thumbsup

Slow Joe
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM

Cats are from a Montana and a Cavalier.

Rotors are from our 9-3 (front), Cavalier (front), and an Altima (front). The drums are also from the Altima.

And :wooo I thought the cats were worth more like $50... Not $8...

88Nightmare
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
took some ford cats to miller just the other day and got $63 each.... not sure how that "sucks the big one"?

84hurst
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I've gotten as much as $105 for a GM cat similar to what's on the montana. Places that buy cats for $8 never check to see if they are hollow or not.

Slow Joe
09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I've gotten as much as $105 for a GM cat similar to what's on the montana. Places that buy cats for $8 never check to see if they are hollow or not.

Where from? I'll take them there!

GTSLOW
09-08-2010, 12:24 AM
way to answer the ? i believe any scrap yard will take them as for prices i dont know which one is the best i just take mine down to miller compressing or when J worked there auto&scrap

Because I know of people who buy certain kind sally. I actually got 75 each for mine.

GTSLOW
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Cats are from a Montana and a Cavalier.

Rotors are from our 9-3 (front), Cavalier (front), and an Altima (front). The drums are also from the Altima.

And :wooo I thought the cats were worth more like $50... Not $8...

The cats value 100% depends on the value and condition. Seems GM cats fetch top dollar at least newer ones.

DRK
09-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I recently got $120 for two medium and one tiny Ford cats from some scrap gypsy on CL and he came and picked them up. The first thing he did was shove a coat hanger into it to see how full they where and then it was "I pay you one hundred and twenty american.... ok". He then told me he would buy as many as he could get in his truck and would pay $150 apc for the big truck ones "as many as I could find".

rally_scort
09-08-2010, 12:36 AM
The cats value 100% depends on the value and condition. Seems GM cats fetch top dollar at least newer ones.

new import cats is the correct answer :D

Car Guy
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
took some ford cats to miller just the other day and got $63 each.... not sure how that "sucks the big one"?

Reason: They do not pay nearly as much as the guy I deal with.....

SSLEVO
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Sweet, i have a monster cat from my old 95 camaro, i also have a 3" high flow, anyone interested in it for cheap? lol

0TransAm0
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
wow i sold my 2 cats from my TA with less than 20k miles on them for 30 bucks each...

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Reason: They do not pay nearly as much as the guy I deal with.....

not all of us have a scrap wizard at our disposal

Yooformula
09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
great thread Joe!!! This thread made me get off my ass and head over to Miller. They gave me $35 a piece for an 03 Yukon cat and $.12/lb for scrap(1-flywheel & 2-rotors=85lbs!).

hrsp
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
story time: like 3 years ago my buddys dad came outside to go to work and started up his nissan truck and noticed it was louder than normal..he looked under the truck and saw that someone cut off his cat...craziest shit i ever heard....

Imagine going outside and seeing someone under your car hacking away at the cat...the look on his face would be priceless!!!!! lol

88Nightmare
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
a year or two ago there were stories on the news of people collecting cats off of tons and tons of vehicles parked at park n rides during summerfest

GTSLOW
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
story time: like 3 years ago my buddys dad came outside to go to work and started up his nissan truck and noticed it was louder than normal..he looked under the truck and saw that someone cut off his cat...craziest shit i ever heard....

Imagine going outside and seeing someone under your car hacking away at the cat...the look on his face would be priceless!!!!! lol

Happened alot to the dealers in barstow outside of fort irwin. Man would ehat fing suck but I guess that's what dealer insurance is for.

SSLEVO
09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Sht, you can get those battery powered sawzalls now, literally a one min job. I'm sure it makes quite the racket though! I guess you have to lower your shit so they can't get under there.

PB86MCSS
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Theres that much of a market for used cats? Wow.

Is it worth recycling a pair of rotors? I just did a set, only amount I saw on here so far is .12 per lb.

Russ Jerome
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Traditionaly the old 70's thru early 80's monster GM convertors where worth 3 times what all others value. The big monster like on common camaros and elderados, something about a strip of platinum larger than most. My buddies junk yard had two trailers and they said "GM" and "others" on the doors, all cats went in those two trailers.

Slow Joe
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Now think about walking out on the lot of your car dealership, going to show a customer a car and it's extremely loud... So you check the next one, same thing.

One of my dealers lost 25-30 cat converters one night.

Another one won't use the ramps he bought anymore cause the last two times he did he lost a cat converter.

Oh and thanks Yoo! I need to stack these rotors, drums, and cat converters in my car and take 'em to Miller one of these days... I'm sick of the stack in the garage lol

lilws6
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
i've still got two cats laying around from my t/a maybe i should take them in one of these days along with all the other scrap i've got laying around

PB86MCSS
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone familiar with their process, could someone bring in larger items that aren't pure metal like a washer or dryer? We also have an older excercise bike my parents were going to toss, front wheel seems mostly metal and very heavy but it doesn't work quite right. Thinking of making a run perhaps once I cleanout our basement.

OxmanWI
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
There is a place I just went to a couple weeks ago in Menomonee Falls. Off Brown Deer Rd and 124th. Go north on 124th and it's on the right side across the street from the land fill. Got 40 bucks for a Acura cat. Forgot the name, but it's there.

Car Guy
11-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Anyone familiar with their process, could someone bring in larger items that aren't pure metal like a washer or dryer? We also have an older excercise bike my parents were going to toss, front wheel seems mostly metal and very heavy but it doesn't work quite right. Thinking of making a run perhaps once I cleanout our basement.

Scrap yards will take anything metal but save yourself time and possibly a pulled back muscle by allowing a scrapper to take them. If you live in an area considered the 'city' place them by the street with 'scrap' written somewhere. If not in the 'city' place a "free metal scrap" ad in the free section on CL and somebody will take them within 24 hours. I lived by the airport and never had scrap metal sit near the street for more than a day.....

Got 40 bucks for a Acura cat.

Ouch.....

PB86MCSS
11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Yea, if I put stuff out it will probably be taken, have done that before. I guess what I'm trying to get at is I wouldn't mind getting some cash for the crap.

My parents live in Muskego and whenever they put out scrap it's taken within a day as well, especially the day before garbage pickup. Here in StAllis it sometimes doesn't take more than a few hours.

Rocket Power
11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Here in StAllis it sometimes doesn't take more than a few hours.

QFT Someone took my old basketball hoop and the attached cement filled steel pole in a couple hours:rolf

For stuff like that I love living in the dirty dirty:rolf

Car Guy
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is I wouldn't mind getting some cash for the crap.

You will burn more $$$ in fuel driving to the scrap yard. Scrap like that is measured by the ton.....

PB86MCSS
11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I live a few miles from the place.. .12 per lb or so adds up with enough crap. If I get $20 for a pile of junk that's ok with me.

Does anyone know if they accept things like a washing machine, etc. off hand? I can always call but thought I'd see if others have done something similar before being laughed at over the phone.

QFT Someone took my old basketball hoop and the attached cement filled steel pole in a couple hours:rolf

For stuff like that I love living in the dirty dirty:rolf

Hehe...I remember one of the first things I put out here after moving in was gone within a couple hours, a crappy metal shelf thing. Ever since I've been putting crap out without worry that it will be an eyesore for long. Even posted free sod this week on CL for a few scrap peices I had left and it was gone before the evening.

jrn101
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=PB86MCSS;676611]I live a few miles from the place.. .12 per lb or so adds up with enough crap. If I get $20 for a pile of junk that's ok with me.

Does anyone know if they accept things like a washing machine, etc. off hand? I can always call but thought I'd see if others have done something similar before being laughed at over the phone.

all scrap yards will accept any kind of appliances.as long as the majority of what you are dropping off is metal or some sort of non ferrous they will take it and pay for it.if you call em they wont laugh.at least i dont and i get them questions/phone calls about 100 times a day.

Rocket Power
11-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I usually take stuff to the joint on 80ish just south of national. Not sure if they are the best price,but they are close.

OxmanWI
11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Ouch.....

Why?

lordairgtar
11-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Sometimes the scrapper won't give money for wash machines or dryers. Better to remove the motors and take those in separate. Motors will net you some money because of the copper wiring on the armature and field windings. I picked up all these cats in the neighborhood and the salvage yard wouldn't take them...now I have a truck full of meowing hairballs and I don't know what to do with the little furry things.