PDA

View Full Version : Illegal or Not..

0TransAm0
09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
so i was driving threw Boucher Chevy's lot Sunday in Racine on hwy 20. and noticed this POS junk truck pull in. had a AD on the back tailgate. "will take scrap, free pick up"

and i thought to myself damn they are going to steal whatever scrap is out back... about 5 min go by and i decide to take a drive around back.. 2 guys had the truck backed up to the FENCED IN area with 2 huge dumpsters and they are chucking brake rotors into the back of the truck like i throw a tennis ball for the dog.. as i drove past they kinda ducked behind as if i didn't see what they were doing..
i didn't get a plate or call the cops.

what would you have done? thoughts?

Holeshot
09-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Garbage picking is actually illegal. If they don't have permission its considered theft.

Neal Steffek
09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Many places of busness dont care if you take the junk as long as you dont make a mess. It is recycaling that they dont have to do.

0TransAm0
09-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Many places of busness dont care if you take the junk as long as you dont make a mess. It is recycaling that they dont have to do.

yeah but don't they make money on the scrap? why else would it be fenced in.. i would think that they want the metal as any money they make on it is better than none.

Plum Crazy
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
we have a scrap dumpster out back and have caught several guys digging thru it and called the cops. Also popular is dumping/stealing junk tires from out back.

SSLEVO
09-06-2010, 07:01 PM
If it's in a scrap bin they most likely are getting paid for it. I don't think they would endorse such behavior.

jakedrew
09-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I work at a sheet metal factory and believe it or not we have trouble with people dumping random stuff in our scrap bins. Sometimes I find exhaust set ups, swing sets and random metal. That is helping us I guess as it is in the misc. metal one. haha.

MoCkiN U
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
our spare scrap steel is stored inside cause it is revenue for us in a small way to fund parties and cookouts for the techs and such

Exitspeed
09-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Psssht, that aint' shit. When I was in Detroit last year we went and did some urban exploring at the old Packard plant. 3.5 million sq feet of abandonment. While we where there there was a group of guys literally cutting the steel OFF THE BUILDING with a plasma cutter or some shit. It was actually an old collapsed roof structure that was made out of steel. They were just cutting it up and throwing it in the back of the truck. As you walk around you see evidence of this happening everywhere.

hrsp
09-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Psssht, that aint' shit. When I was in Detroit last year we went and did some urban exploring at the old Packard plant. 3.5 million sq feet of abandonment. While we where there there was a group of guys literally cutting the steel OFF THE BUILDING with a plasma cutter or some shit. It was actually an old collapsed roof structure that was made out of steel. They were just cutting it up and throwing it in the back of the truck. As you walk around you see evidence of this happening everywhere.

:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

GHOSST
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Now thats just ridiculous. Its like the new gold rush. Or scrap rush.

70 cutlass 442
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
that is illeagle... most of thoes scrap metal bins are left by salvage companies, scrap goes in, they are then picked up every so often and then are paid for the weight of the scrap material.

TheRX7Project
09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Dateline (or 60 Mins or whatever) actually did a show about this a while back. They said that the old Packard plant is so structurally unstable from the combination of people looting it and natural deterioration, that if there is a fire in the building, the fire department is not allowed to fight it and is instructed to simply let it burn out.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22253549/detail.html

SSScottSS
09-07-2010, 09:06 AM
They were stealing.

GTSLOW
09-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Dateline (or 60 Mins or whatever) actually did a show about this a while back. They said that the old Packard plant is so structurally unstable from the combination of people looting it and natural deterioration, that if there is a fire in the building, the fire department is not allowed to fight it and is instructed to simply let it burn out.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22253549/detail.html

Oh it's been like that for quite a while. If IRC there's a few buildings in Detroit that they would burn to the ground.

TheRX7Project
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
^^ That's insane. But I suppose, huge, vacant buildings + high unemployment...

0TransAm0
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Would you guys have called the cops or just let them be? i did nothing. thinking i should have called the cops but oh well. they will get caught sooner or later.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I always have a cell on me and I wouldnt have called.
And even tho you did not see anyone. Do not worry you little head as there was someone inside that building, like a security technician, he probably called the fuzz.
Scrap get stole everywhere, in fact in darn near any place if you leave something worth something laying around sooner or later someones gone take it.

Racine: atleast we're not Detroit. :)

SSLEVO
09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I did an internship at a shop in MN that cut large aircraft parts. There were a bunch of 100+ lb aluminum drops that were stolen from a locked fenced in area multiple times. We got them on camera but were never able to find them.