PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive issues

CATNHAT
09-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Apparently crashed and the geeksquad wants to send it out for repairs or restoration?

Anyone do restoration locally? not sure what the problem is but have some pictures on their I would like to get back if possible.

Any ideas?

TIA!

BoosTT
09-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Some times just tapping on it (while loading) can get it going once again. I wouldn't send it out. Try beating on it for a while. I bet its just jammed up.

xxsn0blindxx
09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
It depends on what is wrong with it. If it is completely inaccessible and data can only be retrieved by taking the drive apart and getting the data off of the platters, then there isn't anybody in the area I know of that can do that. It would also cost several hundreds if not into the thousands of dollars to have that done. If the drive just has bad sectors which has corrupted the file system, you should be able to recover the data using a program like R-Studio.

As for tapping the drive to fix it, that only works in certain cases where the head is getting stuck and the tapping method rarely does anything.

animal
09-05-2010, 04:04 PM
lol @ sending it out for "restoration" :rolf

was it running last night? Maybe it was all the wrecking that was going on by the mad town crew that messed it up :goof

What happens when you turn it on?

Holeshot
09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I heard of several people freezing the drive in a zip loc for a few hours then were able to pull the data off. Its a one shot deal though I guess.