PDA

View Full Version : Who took DMV road test?

MoCkiN U
08-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Just curious whats involved in the skills test for the motorcycle license? Im still battling getting the lean release and all in fact may just be easier to take the road test versus the course cause my bike is not legal yet. I can use a friends bike to take the test on.

What do they have you do? Other are saying they just look for you to be alert and looking around and signaling before turns and lane changes and looking for both feet down at stops. What else? Figure 8's? Slow speed manuvering at all? Just wondering........

My thoughts are more into getting a legal license and then taking the advanced course in the coming spring.

WickedSix
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
tmk the place i went would not let you take the advanced riding course without having the basic motorcycle safety course. I remember the DMV booklet having a section where they tell you what is involved with the license test. I believe it was u get a headset and the administrator follows you directing your path of travel and observing your skills.

MoCkiN U
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
You are right. THX

downloaded manual and voila

kornholio788
08-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I checked last month and they didn't have an available test 3 months out anywhere near here. And that was as far as the site showed out.

SSScottSS
08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I took it. They had me put a radio receiver on and they followed me around in a car. They had me drive around. You have to make sure you do not exceed the posted speed limit, make sure you look both ways going through EVERY intersection. Make an illegal U-turn in a residential neighborhood, make a quick emergency stop, and safety inspect the bike of course.

Have you got your appointment yet?

When I was signing up for my test I would check the online site for open slots 4 or 5 times a day since slots open up on a regular basis.

MoCkiN U
08-24-2010, 01:55 PM
waukesha center has several openings for sept 1st.

SSScottSS
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
If I were you I'd grab one if you can or will ride that far for the test. I took mine at the DMV up by Southridge. They had tests on a Saturday which was nice.

Rocket Power
08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Just curious whats involved in the skills test for the motorcycle license? Im still battling getting the lean release and all in fact may just be easier to take the road test versus the course cause my bike is not legal yet.

Its in your best interest to take the msf course anyway, and they supply the bikes you don't need yours.

I took the course just to avoid taking the road test, figuring I didn't want to get screwed if the dmv dude was having a bad day. Turns out I actually learned stuff taking it.

Just my .02

0TransAm0
08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
i took the course at gateway in kenosha..
got pulled over while my temps was expired so before my court date i went and got my license. judge was happy and dropped everything.

MoCkiN U
08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
temps expire tomorrow, got those renewed today. wanted to take the class but cant get off work 3 in a row with any kind of heads up to be able to put money into it. I'll figure it out eventually.

LIL EVO
08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Easy. Mine was maybe 10 minutes long

deuceWI
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I just went down to the DMV to get my license.

Easy as pie.

If you're comfortable on a bike and know the rules of the road well enough to pass your driving test, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Goat Roper
08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I have my road test on Sept 14th, if it is as easy as the test they gave us then there is nothing to worry about

-stew-
08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Took mine when I was 18. On an Electraglide. I think I got bonus points for being a kid taking it on a bagger. Passed with flying colors. Only got docked for briefly locking up the rear brake on the panic stop.

moels
08-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Took mine 23 years ago and they put the headset and safety vest on me and the guy followed in a car. He was a friend of my oldest brother and the last command that came through was, " now let's see a wheelie" I was on an FZR600.

drrodder
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I took mine at DMV 28 yrs ago and no head sets, no road test. All was done in a parking lot course with instructor watching and giving verbal instructions (like the riders edge classes today).

Goat Roper
10-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Wanted to resurrect this thread with a bit of advise. When they saw to "exaggerate your head movements" so they know for sure you are looking where you need to look, they really mean it. I didn't exaggerate my movements enough and failed the first time out. I asked the guy "Did you NOT think I looked both directions or did you assume I had a death wish?"

He didn't laugh.

Korndogg
10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
lol fail.

I enjoyed taking the course. I learned some stuff I didn't already know and it was also fun at the same time.

lilws6
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
i had fun in the course i beat the crap outa those rebels tho.

Goat Roper
10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
lol fail.

I enjoyed taking the course. I learned some stuff I didn't already know and it was also fun at the same time.

I wasn't going to spend the $300 and 8 hours on a course when I first rode a bike 30 years ago and have driven regularly since then. My road course was only 20 minutes of my life, well 40 since the first person wanted me to look like I was having a seizure at stop signs.

Korndogg
10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
I meant fail to your failing the first time lol, not about not taking the course.

Goat Roper
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, that was indeed a f'd up fail, lol. I got back to work and they asked how it went and I explained I failed and why. Lots of laughs.

The best part is the next time I took the road test it wasn't on the FZ1, I had the 900lb cruiser. That made me nervous.

GsxrBots
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I wasn't going to spend the $300 and 8 hours on a course when I first rode a bike 30 years ago and have driven regularly since then. My road course was only 20 minutes of my life, well 40 since the first person wanted me to look like I was having a seizure at stop signs.

Just an FYI, I've been riding since I was 5, and am now 35 years young. I took the advanced course about 5 or 6 years ago just to get a discount on my insurance (which turned out to be a joke...) and I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I learned something.
Don't rule these courses out or think that since you've been riding for so long there is no possible way you could learn something, or see these courses as a waste of money...
I'm not saying you have that mentality, just making sure newbies don't read into what you said and take it that way.
:banana1:

DirtyMax
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I learned something.
Don't rule these courses out or think that since you've been riding for so long there is no possible way you could learn something, or see these courses as a waste of money...

x2. I got a non-transferable voucher with my bike so I took it and I am glad I did... but I didn't shell out for it so it's a little different.