PDA

View Full Version : Any Network admins here

animal
07-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Not admins for this site, but I am tasked at work with finding a good anti-spam solution for our company. Anyone here have any good recommendations for a corporate environment? So far I've only been impressed with brightmail but it's really expensive. Has to either integrate with exchange or smtp gateway. Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions :)

JRink
07-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I use Mail Essentials from GFI. It has a bayesian filtering setup that kicks butt. Very happy with the performance/price. If you want more info offline, lemme know. You could even swing by work and I can show you how it operates...

Jesse Rink
91 Stealth RT/TT (street/show)
91 Stealth RT/TT (track)

Syclone0044
07-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I would recommend checking out Postini. www.postini.com. These guys are VERY serious about their product - not some hacks. It works very well and is ultra powerful, but an easy to use interface. It's the kind of thing that works really well right away when you start, but when you need to start digging into it to get more advanced, you're satisfied to discover it has the tools you hoped it would have. I haven't really had any disappointments with it.

Cryptic
07-08-2004, 09:16 PM
what platform... Exchange ? Sendmail or qmail (linux)?

I use spamassassin in conjunction w/ MAPS servers to filter known spammers.

http://www.spamhaus.org/index.lasso
http://eu.spamassassin.org/index.html

to stop spam completely is pretty damn tough... viruses are opening up email relays all over the F'n place. impossible to keep up with.

another good read.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2505.html

Syclone0044
07-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention the Postini is a transparent front end SMTP filter; you set your MX records to go to them and they instantly deliver it to your actual mail servers (I am talking instant as in a tenth of a second). So I guess it could work with any type of SMTP server that exists? Postini does all the hard work, and your mail servers just get the cream of the crop delivered.

Sheesh I sound like a salesman. This product will not wash your car and clean the house! :goof

Cryptic
07-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Spam filtering services are far from cheap last I looked. They prolly just do what I metioned above and then forward the mail.

Which would be done locally by placing a linux mail server infront of an exchange server.

I've not tried to implement anti-spam techniques I mentioned above on Exchange. (if at all possible)

animal
07-09-2004, 11:10 AM
I will keep all this in mind. We actually ordered a barracuda spam firewall device today to try that out for 30 days. It's supposed to work pretty well with hourly updates etc. If it doesn't I'll try some of the stuff you guys mentioned. I have smtp gateways in front of my mail servers so it'd really just be a smtp type program that I'd need, but I definately want it on site rather than just a service that does it for me.

Thanks again for the input :)