PDA

View Full Version : RC racing at trackside. NEW TRACK

LEWETHETIGER73
08-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Well they finally finished the carpet to dirt conversion! Looks like there will be some racing theis thursday and friday :banana1: Spread the word :headbang

Bart H
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
pics? and more information!

lilws6
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
yea this is why i sold my tc3 tooka huge hit on the cost but now i can put the brushless in my sc10 and hit it up

Bart H
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Used to race there years back, off-road and carpet.

hotshift13
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I just Bought a Traxxas 2wd Truck to race in the stock class, Lets get together and form the BCM section...LOL...

Cleveland Dave
08-12-2010, 02:57 AM
ive been thinking about getting an traxxas e-maxx for some time now, just trying to save up a little more money.

LEWETHETIGER73
08-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Well the did a complete revamp. Pulled the carpet out and drivers stand. The stand is now against the wall and the barrier wall is now out a little farther and higher up. The soda and snack machines are now moved to the rock crawling room to make room for the bleachers that will go in and the crawling section is now outside. Sorry I don't have anyway of posting pics right now.

They will offer an 8th scale class if you are good enough with the control. I have an e-revo I was thinking about selling but I might hold off long enough to try racing a couple of times.

LEWETHETIGER73
08-12-2010, 06:21 AM
I am down for a bcm section! I think right now there is only 1 other guy there that I know!

lilws6
08-12-2010, 08:22 AM
ive been thinking about getting an traxxas e-maxx for some time now, just trying to save up a little more money.

i could sell you mine its brand new with some broken front end parts maybe $30 to fix i don't use it enough like i thought i would got two batteries. what are those bad boys new again like $390 ish how much you got? sorry to jack the thread.

i got to get my brushless slapped in my sc10 and get down there soon tho

DirtyMax
08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
As if I need another hobby but I did really enjoy doing the dirt oval racing at R/C Raceways back in the day!

Lv2xlr8
08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Right by my work. Hmmmm. I better go plant another money tree.

Ricky Bobby
08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
damn lipo blew my tire apart on my slash this past weekend and blew the body to shit also :rolf im in need of some tires now

hotshift13
08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
How did you manage that?

Cleveland Dave
08-18-2010, 03:43 AM
i know this is off-topic, but im looking to get into the whole RC thing, what kind of battery chargers to you got, or what is recommended that i should get when i finally do pull the trigger on getting one.

TheRX7Project
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Don't get anything from Duratrax- they are chintzy and break pretty easily. Get a Traxxas.There are tons of parts available for Traxxas trucks. Stick with 1/10 scale.

If you plan on doing "real" racing get a Slash or Rustler. Basically you want a stadium truck if you plan on doing any type of structured racing. I'd really recommend a Slash since they're 4WD, which will make it more controllable, and more capable off-track.

If you just want something to play with get a Stampede or Summit. My brother has a Stampede and it is a blast. I also can recommend the Tamiya DF-01 (Porsche Cayenne). I have one of these and it's a lot of fun as a toy, although it was complicated to put together and hop-up parts are few and far between. I've only ever broken 1 part and that was from a pretty gnarly crash involving a 3-foot jump and a curb.

As far as motor wise, "brushless" motors are extremely powerful and fast, but may be too much for a beginner. They're also very expensive (around $2-300 for a brushless motor setup). Brushless trucks can go 70+mph and are a real handful to control (i.e. keep spare parts handy). "Brushed" motors are not as fast or as torquey, but they'll keep the car controllable, and are significantly cheaper.

Battery is another "how much do you want to spend" area. I've got a few different brands of Ni-MH batteries and a Dynamite Prophet charger. It works fine for me and was cheap. The larger the mAh of the battery the longer it will last. Expect to spend about $50 on a decent battery and another $50 for a good charger. On the pricey end you have Li-Po (Lithium Polymer) batteries and chargers. These batteries and chargers are typically about twice the price of Ni-MH, but put out a lot more power and a re significantly lighter weight.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/trx_electric.htm
http://www.modelflight.com.au/support/phpkb/question.php?ID=57 <~ Li-Po vs. Ni-MH
http://www.modelflight.com.au/support/phpkb/question.php?ID=55 <~ Brushless vs. Brushed motors

Silver03SRT
08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm suprised Doyle isnt going to shut this race track down too.

Yooformula
08-18-2010, 11:42 AM
damm good post rx! ditto on the duratrax breaking easily! that was my first truck and it is broken more than it spends running..lol I found a ton of replacement and hop up parts on ebay too btw. I wish I had the cash for a decent stadium truck because this shit is addicting!

TheRX7Project
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
My brother's first truck was also a Duratrax. It broke within 5 minutes of being put together, from lightly brushing against a curb at low speed. And this was with their new "unbreakable" plastic... I'd hate to see what the old ones were like.

Got Boost
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I used to race @ Trackside when they were in the Falls , and Joel Gish owned it raced carpet.... Does the new trackside have a carpet track??

Turbo-Triumph
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
My brother's first truck was also a Duratrax. It broke within 5 minutes of being put together, from lightly brushing against a curb at low speed. And this was with their new "unbreakable" plastic... I'd hate to see what the old ones were like.

lol for real.

i 2nd the traxxas hype. very good trucks. i didnt have probs til i went psycho and went for 65+ mph. then unless your drivetrains all aluminum, you break ever 5 min.

parts are cheap, too. i hit railroad ties (a stack of them) at near top speed, like 50mph~ish, and my truck broke into 3 peices and parts went all over, and it cost $22 to fix. (all plastic at this point)

FYI- if you want speed, DONT buy a cheap truck and upgrade. buy somthing good from the start. save a ton of money.

lilws6
08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
track side used to have carpet but if you read above they converted it to all dirt now. i've owned a huge variaty of r/c stuff. From associated to duratrax to hpi and traxxas. i've by far owned way more traxxas stuff than i can remember. i've owned i think 3 stampedes a nitro sport back in the day two of there boats. i'm on my 3rd or 4th e-maxx had two different t-maxx's. traxxas has been awsome but for racing i was happy with anything associated i had. easy to tune if you buy the base stuff. i used to race a duratrax evader at abc in waukesha back when i was in school. pretty shure i ripped off about 2 pairs of a-arms every night. i even finished a race with one missing was quite interesting. any how back on track any one been there yet get some pics i want some kick in my ass to get my sc10 done. :)

Gregor
08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I used to race at Trackside when they were still off Greenbay. I loved dirt oval and when killed that I left soon after and still wont race there.

lilws6
08-19-2010, 07:30 PM
now its all dirt :)

LEWETHETIGER73
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
And when they are finished with the main dirt track they will be making a dirt oval again!

And from a racing stand point I only use traxxas. But realistically get a blitz. Excellent racing truck, light and durable.

And there are 2 slash's out there. One is a brushed motor 2 wheel drive that is alot of fun and what I race. And then there is a 4wheel drive brushless monster that I also race but it is an amazing machine! I love it too!