PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower Hep Needed

xxsn0blindxx
08-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I have a Husqvarna lawn mower with a Briggs 625 series motor that was purchased new at the end of 2008. If I shut the mower off after running it for an extended amount of time it will not re-start unless I remove the air filter. When it does restart it puffs white smoke for a couple seconds and then runs fine. I can then shut it off, put the filter back on and it starts up without a problem. I replaced the air filter at the beginning of the season and just to be sure replaced it again, but not surprisingly that isn't the problem. For whatever reason it appears that it is flooding, but of course these new hippie carburetors don't allow you to control the choke. I tried spraying he carb with carb cleaner, but again no difference. It starts up on the first pull when cold. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Russ Jerome
08-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Hot restart, easy fix dont shut it off! We have that problem with a new hippie style Honda 12hp comp I put in our serv truck, will run ALL day with no problems, shut it off and its a bitch trying to modulate the air flow (hand over air intake) and cycling key a good 4' away. The service truck also uses a new style "supressor" exhaust generator but does not suffer hot restart problems....over ride the safety crap that keeps you from getting off or releasing the operating handle, all that safety shit is bypassed on my ryder, weeds out the weak ones!

michelle
08-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Do you shut off the fuel before turning it off? Gas might still be going into the engine, flooding it until it evaporates.

Do you have spark when you try and restart it?

xxsn0blindxx
08-11-2010, 07:37 AM
I have to shut it off at some point because I run out of gas half way through my yard. This thing literally gives you no control over fuel or air flow, there is no choke or throttle control.

stenchmiester
08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
sounds to me like a jet is plugged

xxsn0blindxx
08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm going to come right out and say I don't know much at all about diagnosing carburetors, but would like to. So please don't take this as me being argumentative, I just want to understand. How would a plugged jet cause flooding, doesn't the jet supply fuel which if plugged would cause a lack of fuel?

Reverend Cooper
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
i would prolly ask tom badls1

fivonut
08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
easy fix!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2oCsVv_bE

Russ Jerome
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm going to come right out and say I don't know much at all about diagnosing carburetors, but would like to.

Other than the dead small engine guy on Capitol and Appleton there is only one guy who does, many think they do. For ananimity sake we will call him "eyeball", you know this guy personely.

Carbs are simple by design, airflow across a small hole causes fuel to be pulled (other side of the hole is the fuel bowl) into the air stream and mix with combustion air,more air delivers more fuel. The "jet" is the restricted hole for the fuel to flow thru, If your motor ran when shut off moments earlier being plugged would be my very last guess. Not on your carb but on others is a "accelerator jet" we'll call it, raising the fuel rate causes a mechanical diaphram to squirt and extra amount of fuel during quick load.

Carb that starts and dies, accelerator plugged.
Hard start but idles fine, main fuel jet.

With your air filter off your allowing a little extra air, maybe masking the extra fuel, opposite of when you "choke" a carb (restrict air flow for richer cold start). Superheated fuel doesnt realy flow, it almost vaporizes. Vaporized fuel could become extra volitile and need the extra air or maybe the fuel is evaporating and you need the extra air flow to pull in new cooler fuel coming from tank......i dont know as I've only succesfuly rebuilt 2 or 3 carbs in 30+ plus years and had them work correct :) I would run over to "eyeballs" house and act like you broke down in his front yard, bet he figures it out in short order (he's like the dude in Slingblade, has talents we will never fully understand!).

BAD LS1
08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
This has the ready start on it. Its NOT a carb problem if it starts easy when cold and actually runs good when it does run. Since you bought it the end of 2008, you can takei t in for warranty yet to have this fixed (we fix it for free if it doesnt start on 1-2 pull for 2 years, provided its not fuel releated).

The problem is in the ready start system, it doesnt sound like its keeping the choke off when it hot so either the bi-metallic spring that oeprates the choke is malfunctioning or a linkage issue. You can remove the airfilter, and see if the choke is actually on or partially on when it wont re-start. if its on, manually push it open with a screw driver and that should solve the hot start issue for that time.

At least check out my above suggestions and let me know about the choke, then i can tell you how to procede with it.

Russ Jerome
08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I get it, had to read up but the choke is spring loaded closed. When the engine starts, the flywheel fan blows air against an air vane and the choke opens. When the engine is hot, a bi metal arm holds the choke open. Its an auto choke, needs an EFI upgrade :)

BAD LS1
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I get it, had to read up but the choke is spring loaded closed. When the engine starts, the flywheel fan blows air against an air vane and the choke opens. When the engine is hot, a bi metal arm holds the choke open. Its an auto choke, needs an EFI upgrade :)

Yes, the newer one like he has doesnt have the air vane though, its all bi metal spring operated and a spring pulls against it all the time, so if the be metal gets weak, the spring will win even when it shouldnt

xxsn0blindxx
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
This is great information. I will check that out and let you know what I find.

We bought it in September of 08 so that warranty runs out soon. Any recommended authorized service centers in the Waukesha area?