PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint in Milwaukee

cj87gta
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi all,

As some of you know, I've picked up a new ride a few weeks ago. Until now, I've never had a vehicle with tinted windows, but the SS has the rear and rear side windows tinted. I'm looking to get the front side windows tinted to make everything look the same and to cool down the interior a bit, not to mention the privacy is nice too some areas I drive through.

My question is: has anyone had any issues with this type of tint all around in Milwaukee and surrounding area? I just wanted to hear some opinions out there. I think there's a few fine officers on this forum too. Perhaps you can provide some input too?

Thanks!

Cj

chargedformula
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
i personally never had a problem, but the previous owner of my car did. he had 5% all around and was made to remove the tint on the side windows. i am not really sure why he didnt have to take the tint off of the rear window though. i would think if you have 20-30% tint and are not doing anything dumb you shouldnt have a problem.

03CVLX
08-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Wisconsin state law on the two front windows is no darker than 50%. With that being said, I have 35% tint all the way around and have never had any issues at all. My Dad and brothers trucks are the exact same way and they also have had no issues ever.

GTSLOW
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Can you even tell a difference at 50%? I've been thinking of getting my windows tinted but with a pretty light tint. I hate the uber dark stuff. What do you have on the crown vic that looks pretty good?

03Seville
08-09-2010, 10:15 AM
My old car had 35% all the way around and I never had an issue then, now I have 20% all the way and my fiancee got stopped once so far for it by a Waukesha Cty Sheriff...

BoosTT
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
35% is pretty safe and very close to the stock tint on rear windows. IMO 20% is pushing it and a bit too dark for at night.

Prince Valiant
08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I've got 20% on the insight all around and have had no issues...I mean, who's going to pull over an insight? I haven't found it to be an issue at night, but I'm sure if I've had night vision issues like some older people, it could be....

Likewise, my wife Pontiac Vibe, I had 20% done on the back and rear doors, w/ 35% on the front to make it look a touch different (IE, replicating in a darker manner what factory tint would be like at 50% front/35% rear) and she's had no issues.

In both cases, the cars are FAR more comfortable.

buttersgt350
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
i have an f150 and wanted the front windows to match the back. had them done at 18%. 2 years never had any problems until 2 months ago. got pulled over in brookfield on bluemound. i have heard this is a hot spot for drunk drivers though so i think they pull over any infraction.

SlowMotion
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Cj, check out Blackout on Hwy 100! I got a quote of under $100 to get it done in 45 mins with a lifetime warranty. They also said it would match the factory tint to make it all look uniform.

buttersgt350
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Cj, check out Blackout on Hwy 100! I got a quote of under $100 to get it done in 45 mins with a lifetime warranty. They also said it would match the factory tint to make it all look uniform.
that is where i got mine done. and it matches really good. definitely recommend.

Silver03SRT
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I had 20% all the way around on my srt and never had a problem. I was pulled over a few times and they never mentioned anything about the tint.

Cryptic
08-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I had 15% all the way around on a black GTX and I had trouble with state troopers on I-43 they're all real knobs about tint in my experience. Other county/city officers didn't make a big stink of it.

As a courtesy I always lowered the all windows all the way down. If their safety is the state's/county's/city's main concern, in my opinion that should be the law. Lower the windows so the officer can see into the car he/she is approaching.

SilverHorse
08-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I got pulled over in West Bend just to remind me that my plates were going to expire. Mine were 20% at the time and he never said a word about them.

cj87gta
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Slowmotion,

That's exactly where I plan on going. How close did they get to your factory tint on the rear? Ive got the same vehicle so you're probably a good baseline! Thanks everyone for the input!

Prince Valiant
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
If their safety is the state's/county's/city's main concern, in my opinion that should be the law. Lower the windows so the officer can see into the car he/she is approaching.
Amen brotha!

pOrk
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
35% is pretty safe and very close to the stock tint on rear windows. IMO 20% is pushing it and a bit too dark for at night.

Wrong

Most factory tint is 15-20%

I go 20 on all my cars, went 5 once and it was WAAAAAY to dark. Only time I was pulled over for it was on hwy 100, and I rarely go there at night anymore so no issues :thumbsup

Car Guy
08-09-2010, 05:30 PM
As a courtesy I always lowered the all windows all the way down. If their safety is the state's/county's/city's main concern, in my opinion that should be the law. Lower the windows so the officer can see into the car he/she is approaching.

In addition to turning on the main interior lights.....:thumbsup

BlackLightning
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Wrong

Most factory tint is 15-20%

I go 20 on all my cars, went 5 once and it was WAAAAAY to dark. Only time I was pulled over for it was on hwy 100, and I rarely go there at night anymore so no issues :thumbsup

yea 5% is really dark so I usually drive with the windows down at night. I have 5% on my side windows and 5% over 15% on the rear and it's black.

Deggy
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I had 5% on my Grand Am all around and never got pulled over or questioned about it.

Slow Joe
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I had 5% on my Malibu, and I hated it... But the car came with it and I wasn't going to take it off...

On my '01 Stang I had 35% the whole way around, for about 3 years til one day a Menomonee Falls cop pulled me over specifically for tint. At the time they were trying to have a "task force" for such violations. They made me get 50% or lighter on the front (which actually reads through the meter in the mid 40s because of the stock solar tinting) but that passed their inspection...

I'm planning on getting 35% on my 9-5. But just haven't gotten around to it... lol

cj87gta
08-09-2010, 07:42 PM
So I found out stock is 20% on the rear and side windows. I think I'm going to get it matched and hope for the best. I have times where I get the pleasure of driving in some not so nice areas in MKE and its nice to have some privacy. Also, I think it just looks better. IF anyone gives me trouble, I might try and get a nice little note from the eye doctor for it...

-stew-
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm headed up to Sun Busters on the norf norf side this week to get the Golden Bear done. Guy at workhas had a bunch of cars done there and has nothing but goodthings to say. He figures its gonna cost me $160-180. Does this sound reasonable to do four doors, opera windows and back glass? Not sure how dark I'm gonna go, nothing crazy.

SilverHorse
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm headed up to Sun Busters on the norf norf side this week to get the Golden Bear done. Guy at workhas had a bunch of cars done there and has nothing but goodthings to say. He figures its gonna cost me $160-180. Does this sound reasonable to do four doors, opera windows and back glass? Not sure how dark I'm gonna go, nothing crazy.

That's who did mine too. Not a single complaint with the quality of work!

03Seville
08-09-2010, 09:33 PM

sounds right... i paid 200 at blackout for the entire seville...

cheap80Z28
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
voting for blackout on hye 100 and morgan, 3 cars done and never a complaint

cj87gta
09-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Alright everyone,

It's going in this afternoon to get the front side windows done at Blackout. I'm pretty excited about that. I just had an eye exam on Monday as well and found out that I do in fact have light sensitivity, so he wrote me a prescription for "sunglasses/tinted side windows when driving" with no expiration. Made sense to me seeing as when I have to wear glasses, I can't really put the sunglasses on.

That said, does anyone know of anything else I need to do to cover myself? I've got the prescription in the glove box and was thinking about getting it laminated in case of getting pulled over in the rain or something and having to use it. I think that I will be going with a 15% tint (matches factory rear sides). Does anyone think I'll have any issues, especially with the prescription?

Philly-O
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
blackout is the only place to go for tint

WilliamZ
09-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Blackout is the only place I will go to and recommend.

cj87gta
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I hope everyone who reads this thread and is considering tinting their windows strongly considers Blackout. Fantastic job and great guys. Took the truck in last night and was out in 40 minutes with nothing but a smile on my face. I strongly recommend them!

Thank you everyone as well for pointing me in the right direction.

SlowMotion
09-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Post some pics of how well the front two windows match the rears glass...

brotherbenn83
09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Got my family car (02 LeSabre kid-hauler) tinted at Blackout today. Looks tits.

cj87gta
09-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Pics coming soon! Haven't had a chance to take any yet.