PDA

View Full Version : State Fair?

Larrygto
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Looks like I'm going to the state fair tonight, anything really good that I have to try there and is there anything that I should avoid?
I've never been there before so just looking for a little advice.
Thanks

Red97GTP
08-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, I think they have almost everything you can possibly fry on a stick there.

Feature Pony
08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
state fair is a good time!! It seems as the older you get the better it becomes, and summerfest gets replaced with state fair! Everything is good there, I guess machine shed has a krispy cream burger!!

Jeff
08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, I think they have almost everything you can possibly fry on a stick there.

On the news this morning they showed a cheese burger with krispy kreme donuts for a bun, and you can add chocolate covered bacon to it :rolf:rolf:rolf

pOrk
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
You MUST MUST MUST check out the Herb Kohl milk barn, 25 cent glasses of all sorts of flavored milk. And if its anything like last year, they will have a buy one get one free coupon in the books they give you when you enter that you can reuse and drink root beer flavored milk till you sick.

That, and Saz's has the best 5 dollar pork sandwich money can buy

Red97GTP
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
On the news this morning they showed a cheese burger with krispy kreme donuts for a bun, and you can add chocolate covered bacon to it :rolf:rolf:rolf

Does it come with a doctor on standby?:rolf

jbiscuit
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Cousins has a cheesesteak on a stick also. The deep-fried snickers is tasty too

0TransAm0
08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Just take lots of money and sunglasses so the wifey can't see you lookin at all the hotties walking around. lol

Jeff
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Does it come with a doctor on standby?:rolf

I don't know about a doctor but I bet it has blood thinners as sprinkles :rolf

Neal Steffek
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I hate this new fad of food on a stick. What happened to the backed patatoe and corn on the cob? REAL state fair food.

0TransAm0
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I hate this new fad of food on a stick. What happened to the backed patatoe and corn on the cob? REAL state fair food.

they still have it...

Neal Steffek
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Just take lots of money and sunglasses so the wifey can't see you lookin at all the hotties walking around. lol

You check out trashy fat chicks? State fair is the LAST place I would go to check out chicks.

0TransAm0
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
You check out trashy fat chicks? State fair is the LAST place I would go to check out chicks.

did i say trashy fat chicks? i don't think thats what i said but i guess you know it all...:rolf

awsomeears
08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
You MUST MUST MUST check out the Herb Kohls milk

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Eric that Ain't milk

BoosTT
08-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Go early... unlike summerfest state fair is prime around 7pm-ish

PB86MCSS
08-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Root beer milk is a must...any milk for .25 is worth it really. Corn on the cob dripping in butter, the Saz's sampler is a must for me too. I wouldn't say there are many hotties but with that many people there might be a handful. Or hang with the teenagers and gangsta wannabes at midway.

Karps TA
08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Check around for beer prices. It's different all over the place. The smaller places have it much cheaper then the main paviliions and SF ran places. That's the best part of State Fair.

Russ Jerome
08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
You check out trashy fat chicks?

Whoa whoa whoa Neal, real men like em thick ;)

Im like 1/2 mile west of fair now off Schlinger and Im stuck on second shift this month, no "thick" chick watching for me till weekend :(

Nix
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Whoa whoa whoa Neal, real men like em thick ;)

Im like 1/2 mile west of fair now off Schlinger and Im stuck on second shift this month, no "thick" chick watching for me till weekend :(

If you are close enough to the ground you should charge people to park in your lawn. :thumbsup

The State Fair has always been my favorite. Bummerfest is fucking garbage.

It's fun to check out the animals and cruise the buildings to see all the neat shit the vendors have.

Dozers in the Midway FTMFW :headbang

hrsp
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
how much is it this year?

Holeshot
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
how much is it this year?

At The Gate
$9 -- Adult (12 and over)
$6 -- Seniors (60 and over) and disabled persons
$4 -- Youth (ages 7 – 11)
Free -- Children (ages 6 and under)

Thursday: Fairgoers who present at least two nonperishable food items or make a cash donation between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to the Hunger Task Force will receive a voucher that'll get them admission to the fair for $2.

Friday: An Illinois driver's license gets you two adult admissions to the fair for $10, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Aug. 9: Fairgoers can get one adult admission for $6 before 6 p.m., with a coupon from www.sprecherbrewery.com/fair.

Aug. 10: From 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., fairgoers bringing a receipt with proof of purchase from a Goodwill Store & Donation Center from July 12 through Aug. 10 can receive two adult admission tickets for the price of one.

Aug. 11: For Salute to Wisconsin Scouts Day, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts dressed in uniform get in free, while scout leaders in uniform get $3 off regular admission.

Aug. 12: Fairgoers who turn in a receipt from Lowe's totaling $15 or more at the admission get 2-for-1 adult admission. (Safety tip: The receipt must be dated July 1 through Aug. 12.)

Aug. 15: On Military and Veterans Discount Day, military personnel and veterans receive free admission with a voucher from their local County Veterans Service Offi

Neal Steffek
08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
did i say trashy fat chicks? i don't think thats what i said but i guess you know it all...:rolf

Just saying...... :rolf

Also, you could not pay me to go to the midway. All the carnies and seeing all that welfare money being spent to win a stuffed animal makes me sick.:fire

lordairgtar
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Can you legally kill carnies? I think it's allowed in Texas.

Prince Valiant
08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
LOVE state fair...I mean, I really enjoy summerfest and all, but nothing compares to the state fair. Such a great time tonight.

SO, with that, I usually have to try "the new thing" which last year was said chocolate covered bacon on a stick and fried PB&J's, both at the machine shed pavillion...both of which qualified as edible and somewhat enjoyable.

This year, as mentioned, the new thing was Cheeseburger on a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

So they do offer to add bacon, but why? The point is that it's a burger in a doughnut, so I went for the more pure plain cheeseburger.

How was it? In a word: Edible. Really wasn't horrid...fun to eat simply because it was so different. Not something you'd want to eat every day...but something that once you ate, you thought "not bad." And of course, you've got something else crossed off on the bucket list.

But every year there are only two things I've really really really got to eat...1) Real cheese curds fried in beer batter and 2) In the pavillion, my wife watches me eat the hottest of the hot sauce they've got...and then enjoys watching me suffer for 20-30 minutes afterward...this year it amazed me how hot the death sauce was...but, since I've been eating LOTs of spicy foods, I was miserable for only 10 minutes or so...it took an apple and a chocolate milk to help end my misery, whereas I used to need 4 ice cream sandwiches with 2-3 chocolate milks and STILL be miserable.

Love the midway, love the food, love the pavilion, and heck...even really enjoy all the cover bands. Great times!

Larrygto
08-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I had the krispie cream cheeseburger the chocolate bacon, fried green tomatoes, bbq potatoe skins, fried cheese curds and of course a cream puff. I would have to go a few more times to try everything.

Rocket Power
08-06-2010, 12:50 AM
is there anything that I should avoid?

The Skyglider?:goof
http://www.wisn.com/news/24533110/detail.html

Deggy
08-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Duck fajitas.

Russ Jerome
08-06-2010, 01:51 AM
If you are close enough to the ground you should charge people to park in your lawn. :thumbsup

Kinda wish I was for drinking reasons but Im actual directly west on the "other" side of 45/894, bike trail behind my house goes thru state park but Im getting too lazy to walk 20 blocks...yuk! Good news is from the trail you can jump the fence and save the whole $7...wait the effort to jump fence is greater than the admission as well!

michelle
08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Friday: An Illinois driver's license gets you two adult admissions to the fair for $10, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

I had to re-read that part because I thought they were charging IL people $1 more to get in. I thought that was great, until I read it again and understood it.

:rolf

jbiscuit
08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I think its ghey Illinois people can get in cheaper actually! :rolf

Opening day crowd had to be pretty darn good....on my street it was PACKED with parked cars much farther west than years past. Great weather yesterday helped that I'm sure. Glad you partake in the hot sauce booth PV. My brother in law and I do as well. Love watching him gasp in pain for the next 20 minutes hahahaha. State Fair just has so much to offer overall. Karps is correct also, you have to know where to get beer. Not only are the prices different but so are the sizes too! Goolsbys was cheap last year for beer. Nice to know people bartending too for a couple free ones.

Larrygto
08-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I think its ghey Illinois people can get in cheaper actually! :rolf

I'm sure the state gets there money back writing speeding tickets on the expressway on there way home!:rolf

mrz28M6
08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
cant wait to see BOBO the clown rip on people!

Car Guy
08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Goolsbys was cheap last year for beer.

Relatively speaking.....:)

cant wait to see BOBO the clown rip on people!

Not sure if BOBO was there but somebody was ripping people good.....:rolf

Larrygto
08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I've got to say the coolest thing there last night were the Clydesdales they were awesome!

-stew-
08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

The State Fair has always been my favorite. Bummerfest is fucking garbage.

I used to live on 87th and greenfield and got $5 a car in the yard. Most cars we ever had in the yard at one time was 17. And that was the night the power went out. Got the last car in and the woman never even made it through the gates. Made a lot off beer money! and the night the power went out we got a shit ton of free creme puffs, they sent all the workers out with as many boxes as they could carry to give away so they wouldn't spoil.

Couldn't agree more about summerfest being garbage.

Silver03SRT
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
You gotta shop around for the best beer deals. I found a place by the race track it was $5 for a 20 oz beer. Everyone else was about $5.50 for a 16oz beer.