PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer car cd player issue

GRM-REPR
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Thought there was an electronics forum here? I'm retarded if there wasn't ever one. Sorry if posting in the wrong place.....

Anyways, it's a DEH-780MP and it started acting goofy months ago. Then when you pop a cd in, the face won't light up but the dial and buttons do.

Now today, the entire face (control unit) wont light up, won't play a cd and won't even play the radio.

When the ignition is off, the unit will still motorize and turn the face-plate outward for removal. Other than that, it seems dead.

Am I up crap creek without a paddle or is it worth it to order another face (if anyone stocks them anymore). The unit (case) itself always worked flawlessly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Jon

Yooformula
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
if you think its just the face plate, try craiglist or ebay to get one cheap. my alpine acts funky(turns off, opens/closes on its own, skips,freezes) when it gets really hot inside the car.

GRM-REPR
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah I took your advice and almost had a heart attack at how expensive a faceplate is for this player!!! On eBay it's "buy it now" for $139!!!!!

Karps TA
08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd check to make sure none of the contact on the back of the face plate are bent or possibly broke. I had a Kenwood that I had to pry up the contacts once.

05caddyext
08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Call a car stereo place that sells pioneer and see if they have any ideas about it. I know pioneer has a little tiny diode on their power wires on the harness. I had issues with my deck not working years back and I was told to cut that diode out. Worked fine after that, never had another issue. It's encased in a black case on one of the wires in the harness. Test for power before that, and after with a test light, see if thats it. Also if I remember correctly some of their decks had fuses in them that are replaceable.

GRM-REPR
08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Karp-I checked the prongs and they look pretty good, thought about that one myself.

Caddy, as for the diode, I will need to check for that. I think I know what you're talking about. The fuse tho, I figured if it was bad, the motor action to lower the faceplate wouldn't have still worked but it's worth a shot.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Jon