PDA

View Full Version : Attn: HTC Evo Users

WhatsADSM
08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
The Android 2.2 (nicknamed Froyo) update is now out!

I would highly recommend getting it. I installed it a few hours ago and have been playing around and all-in-all have been very impressed. The only downside, which was expected, was that Sprint disabled the native bluetooth/USB tethering feature which is built-in to Froyo since they continue to charge $30/month extra if you want to use that service.

Here is the CNET rundown on the list of new features, however these are only the bigger features... as there are lots of other small updates as well.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20012401-251.html?tag=mncol;txt

FWIW my favorite things:
1) Full-on Flash 10.1 support! Friggen awesome.
2) Overall faster! Everything is just a bit faster than before which makes sense since all apps run in a JVM, and for Froyo there was a serous speed improvement in the JVM implementation.
3) Faster Javascripting in the web.
4) Installing/Moving apps to the SD card.

EvolvedRegal
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I heard froyo is good. but since i have the Hero is am running a "fresh" rom

Deggy
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Is this only out for the EVO right now? I just picked up the HTC Aria.

That_Guy
08-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Still waiting for my cliq but I have a feeling it will never happen

T-Bag
08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Bah if you root your phone there is a wifi tethering app available for free. F' sprints $30 tethering bullshit.

WhatsADSM
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Is this only out for the EVO right now? I just picked up the HTC Aria.

It's up to the phone manufacturer to rebase their code from the mainline from Google android.

Basically once a new Android release comes out, the manufacturer still has to do some work to get it working on their phone. So in your case it is up to HTC to do the work to get 2.2 working on the Aria.

Good news is that HTC's update support is usually pretty good for their phones that are within a year or 2 old. So I don't think that 2.2 is available for you yet but within a few months I'd bet it will be.

Doc Brown
08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I have EVO but when I check for the firmware update is says that there isn't one ??!

WhatsADSM
08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Bah if you root your phone there is a wifi tethering app available for free. F' sprints $30 tethering bullshit.

True. I'm just not ready to get rid of HTC Sense UI as well as the rest of the "polishedness" of the HTC release just to root. Honestly I just use PDANet to tether anyways and it seems to work really well.

WhatsADSM
08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I have EVO but when I check for the firmware update is says that there isn't one ??!

Check for
"HTC software update"

Doc Brown
08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I had to restart the phone to see the update message. Thanks for the heads-up!

84hurst
08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I think its supposed to be coming out for my Droid soon too. Can't wait!