PDA

View Full Version : It amazes/scares me the things police don't know

fivonut
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
and maybe I'm expecting too much. As some know I am in the process of getting my FFL for a business I created. As part of that process I have to have the papers signed by my Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) as well as two fingerprint cards filled out. So yesterday I go visit the Chief of Police and he's very helpful and supportive, BUT he asked me what kind of firearm I was buying. I then had to explain that this form is for a license to deal in firearms not a background check to purchase. Today I went to have my finger printing done (different department, our local guy is on vaca). The officer doing the printing asked me the exact same question. I, again, had to explain that this is not a background check to purchase but to become a dealer.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, I know that when purchasing firearms for on duty use an officer does not have to fill out form 4473, they can simply present authorization on department letterhead and don't even have to wait 48 hours. But, if they purchase personal firearms they have to do the background check so I'd think they'd at least be familiar with how the system works.

Again, nothing against the officers I've dealt with, they have all been very receptive and willing to help. But, it bothers me that they didn't seem to understand how it all works.

0TransAm0
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
how often do you think the officers have to do what you needed done? im sure its not an every day occurrence. they probably just assumed you were purchasing a gun as that's what they deal with more often than some one trying to become a retailer. i guess i don't see what the big deal is or whats so "amazing" about it. then again im not into guns like lots of the people on bcm.

fivonut
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
how often do you think the officers have to do what you needed done? im sure its not an every day occurrence. they probably just assumed you were purchasing a gun as that's what they deal with more often than some one trying to become a retailer. i guess i don't see what the big deal is or whats so "amazing" about it. then again im not into guns like lots of the people on bcm.

When you purchase a gun there is never any interaction what so ever with an officer. All paper work and background checks are completed by the dealer and the number you call is either a state or federal hotline. Police officers are never involved in purchases.

If no officer ever is involved in a firearms purchase what would make them think the paper work I was filling out was for that reason??

0TransAm0
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
When you purchase a gun there is never any interaction what so ever with an officer. All paper work and background checks are completed by the dealer and the number you call is either a state or federal hotline. Police officers are never involved in purchases.

If no officer ever is involved in a firearms purchase what would make them think the paper work I was filling out was for that reason??

i couldn't tell ya. maybe they are just like me and have no idea with what is involved in purchasing a gun... im sure the stuff you needed was probably something they don't do very often if ever.

HITMAN
07-29-2010, 07:24 PM
The LEO may have thought you were doing the paperwork for a machine gun, short barreled rifle/shotgun, supressor or anything else covered by NFA rules.

Rocket Power
07-29-2010, 07:26 PM
How many gun stores are there in your town? How many times do you think they've seen that form? once , none? Believe it or not alot of cops aren't "gun guys".

0TransAm0
07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
How many gun stores are there in your town? How many times do you think they've seen that form? once , none? Believe it or not alot of cops aren't "gun guys".

thats what i was trying to get at.. :thumbsup

kirks5oh
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM

+1

i guess the cop is just a moron.

fivonut
07-29-2010, 09:20 PM
i couldn't tell ya. maybe they are just like me and have no idea with what is involved in purchasing a gun... im sure the stuff you needed was probably something they don't do very often if ever.

That I'm sure of. There's only two other dealers in this area.

fivonut
07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
The LEO may have thought you were doing the paperwork for a machine gun, short barreled rifle/shotgun, supressor or anthong else covered by NFA rules.

There ya go! Since all they asked was what kind of gun am I buying that didn't even occur to me.

fivonut
07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
+1

i guess the cop is just a moron.

You don't have to be a "gun guy" to understand and enforce the laws and last time I checked that's what they do on a daily basis.

I wasn't trying to "cop bash" at all. Both officers that helped me were very nice and very professional. It just struck me as very odd that they would ask that question.

Rocket Power
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
You don't have to be a "gun guy" to understand and enforce the laws and last time I checked that's what they do on a daily basis.

I wasn't trying to "cop bash" at all. Both officers that helped me were very nice and very professional. It just struck me as very odd that they would ask that question.

It would strike me odd if it was an BATFE agent, but not a regular cop who doesn't normally deal with licensing a dealer since that is a federal area.