PDA

View Full Version : Wtf

lordairgtar
07-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Just realized Dodge Trucks are not Dodge anymore. They call them Ram. The Ram name is cool but the Dodge name has a bit of history and the trucks are legendary. Why the name change?

BR3W CITY
07-28-2010, 07:22 AM
I had heard they were gonna do this a while back, but what I can't figure out is what they are gonna call the non-fullsize trucks.... A Ram Dakota? or will it somehow still be a dodge?

Prince Valiant
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
There is so much about this now that is contradictory...but here's how I understand it:

The Ram Trucks are still basically "dodge", however this allows them flexibility to have stand along "Ram" dealerships such if they go into the medium duty truck markets, similar to GMC. Plus, it allows some dealerships to expand their offerings, without too much duplicaiton, IE, a chrysler-jeep dealer can pick up Ram trucks without also having to offer all the other dodge cars on their lots.

There may at one time had been the notion that the ram trucks could have been sold as a division, similar to how jeep came under the mopar fold with the demise of AMC.

As far as Dakota's, it's likely to remain a "dodge" for now...since it'll be replaced fairly shortly with a different vehicle. What it comes back as though, is yet unknown...this much is known is that it will likely be a unibody pick-up truck based on a FWD platform (likely the minivan), though some are saying it will be a FWD platform configured toward RWD arrangement (I'm doubtful of this...). Because of the vehicles uniqueness, my guess is that it will be sold under the "Ram" brand.

The durango replacement, so far slated to revive the "magnum" moniker, is slated for "Dodge" and not ram...which makes the second reason listed seem valid since a chrysler-jeep dealer would have the similar grand cherokee, and thus no need to duplicate it with the slightly larger/longer Magnum.

SmokinRAM114
07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
well i never say i own a dodge diesel. i own a cummins. LOL? same thing maybe saying i own a ram and not a dodge pickup or dodge ram? trying to take the same advertising aspect of Monster Energy and how they can advertise with just the M?