PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive data transfer question

moels
07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Just got a new desktop and would like to transfer some pics and stuff from the old drive. I know I can hook it in the new system as a slave and do it that way, but I would rather use a usb hard drive transfer case or whatever they are called. Does anyone have a recommendation or maybe even have one I could borrow?

05caddyext
07-24-2010, 05:34 PM
You should get an external hard-drive, they are super cheap now and a good idea to have as a backup. I store all my important stuff on my desktop, an external hd, and I email my most important stuff that I need around once a month to myself. That way if my house burns down and I lose my computers, at least I have a copy in my email. You can get a huge 1tb harddrive for around $120, that should hold everything you need and more.

05caddyext
07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
If you want the transfer to be fast, get a firewire cable. Otherwise expect the transfer to be painfully slow, could be at least 24 hours if you have a lot of stuff.

1320PNY
07-24-2010, 06:08 PM
$59 at Walmart. Just picked up one for the wife. USB 2.0B transfer 50megs in 15 seconds. Cheap and easy. Just plan on getting a new one every 3 years. They won't live forever.

moels
07-24-2010, 07:35 PM
$59 at Walmart. Just picked up one for the wife. USB 2.0B transfer 50megs in 15 seconds. Cheap and easy. Just plan on getting a new one every 3 years. They won't live forever.

I will do this I believe, hopefully my local store has this.