PDA

View Full Version : jeep doesn't make good boat

cheap80Z28
07-23-2010, 12:14 PM
went to get pizza at 630 last night, made it there but could'nt find my way home. Every road I took trying to get of of 92nd street was floodes over. I tried capitol hampton silver spring, and then I have no idea where I was, somewhere on 100th street south of hampton. Well they were stoping cars, but letting suv and trucks, even full size vans thru. That was untill I tried and the jeep died half way thru. Water up to the door sill when the wake finally stopped. A group of guys pushed me out of the street into a parking lot.

Soo now after sitting for about a half hour, with cold pizza, it started up aagain and I made it home. A 20 min round trip took me 2 1/2 hours. So my real ? is what do I do with jeep now? Oil still feels like oil, but now do all fluids need to get changed? Air filter was soaked, so I need that, but all fluids need changing?

steve

PonyKiller87
07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Chances are the ignition system just got wet and stopped getting spart to the plugs and thats why it died. Doesn't sound like you sucked any water in the intake or you would be complaining of knocking or blown motor. I would leave the hood open in the sun when it finaly comes out to let everything dry really good.

The fluids are tricky, just checking the dip stick doesn't help much because if there is water in there it will sit on top and run off when you pull the stick out. So its a crap shoot wether there is water in there or not, I would change all the fluids just to be safe, including diffs. Usualy in stock form the breather tubes aren't up that high and could have sucked in water.

BoosTT
07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I've been there. Change oil and Trans fluid ASAP. Like within 24 hours. Sounds like water wasn't too high, so you should be fine on other items. Your brakes and power stearing shutter if theres water in there. Doesen't cause damage to those, but its really unsafe.

Yooformula
07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
/\ ditto! change all fluids just to be safe because of how deep but if it sucked up enough to hydro-lock, you wouldn't be moving and if there was internal damage you would hear it. good excuse to do high mileage maintenance imo(trans/t-case/ps steering/brakes/engine).

GTSLOW
07-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Hydro lock = good way to clear carbon :goof

HITMAN
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Water is heavier than oil so it will NOT sit on top of it, it will sink.

If there were water in your oil, it would have already mixed with the oil and the mix would look like chocolate milk on your dip-stick. Same thing with your trans fluid.

If it's just a small amount of water (very small) it might vaporize out of suspension (doubtful) but I wouldn't count on it. Upon finding a milky mixture, I would change those fluids out immediately, as others have said.

HITMAN
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Stupid phone. Double post.

cheap80Z28
07-23-2010, 11:40 PM
taking bike on long ride so hope no more rain and I can do fluids upon my return

lilws6
07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
had a guy come into work said he hit some water in his neon and it died. he had to have it towed home ley it sit for a da and it wouldn't tur over all he heard was a click. had the starter tested across the street witch i knew was going to be good. (it was) so he came to us to ask what could be wrong i told him dude your motors prolly seized up. told him to turn the crank with a breaker bar. he broke it free after a while. he came back for some oil filter and spark plugs. i was like wtf dude but what ever i sold him what he needed. now i'm shure it was dead. you got lucky but the intake is high enough where if you were going at a slow enough speed it shouldn't have sucked anything in the intake too bad besides it wouldn't be running if it did. this guy said there was standing water in his intake manifold. :( yours ran so i'de swap the oil and trans to be on the safe side. check the power steering now and then to see if it gets chocolately colored if it does swap it or your pump will toast soon. some how that happened in the T/A still gat aget a pump. ok i think i'm done posting while drinking :goof

cheap80Z28
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
yea air filter was a sponge, actually was abble to wring out a lot of water...was going to start changing fliuds out this year, one during each oil change, but now I will get them all done at once when I get back from vacation.

Holeshot
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
^^^^^^ LOL Drunk posting FTW .

lilws6
07-24-2010, 11:48 PM
its been awhile only 4 bacardi and cokes wtf is wrong with me sorry back on track. i think the air filter might have saved you tho. getting all wet. you might have gotten a little in the motor but little water is ok acually cleans the carbon out like said before. you woulda known if it was messed before tho. woulda made some hellacious noises. that even a word hellacious?

JaMichaels
07-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Out of curiosity, why would you need to change the Trans fluid?

A friend had a 99-2001 Grand AM GT back in the day and went through a major puddle and it stopped, just the air filter got wet so the engine couldn't breath, replaced that and was fine..

If there is some water in the engine, hook up some meth injection and a big blower and work it out. lol

lilws6
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
theres a chance some water could work its way into the trans pan its not 100% sealed better safe than sorry?

JaMichaels
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Hmm, I guess I would have thought a transmission would be a sealed system.. Never heard of water in a trans.

cheap80Z28
07-26-2010, 12:32 AM
yea I figure for maybe $500 parts and labor, why risk a trans for what 2-3 thou, all pumpkins are due anyways

spooln30
07-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Most ATM's have a breather on top of the trans. So yes if you went in deep enough water I would flush the trans fluid also. As I work on the eastside and had 14 cars come in for this problem it's better safe them sorry. 6 of the 14 had internal engine problems. A Toyota Avalon and a Hemi Dodge ram had broken rods. Just to show how much damage hydro locking a engine can do to a engine. GL

BoosTT
07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Internal parts tarnish/rust very very quickly when they are in contact with water. I wouldn't do the ps or pb, but I would do all other fluids.

This goes without saying, but scan for codes too.

Yooformula
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
ps pump/reservoir isnt a sealed system as any overfill just comes out of the top so if the water was deep enough, it would be cheap insurance to flush it.