PDA

View Full Version : Uverse Installation

WickedSix
07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
ALright just moved into a new place and was searching around Uverse came in as the best bang for the buck for our needs. Just wondering if anyone has it and what all is invovled with installation? I can't find what they use on their website..whether its cat5 based and they will have to run all new lines or if they can run it through the exist coax cable in the house (its already in 4 rooms so it'd be nice to be able to use whats already there)? they seems to be keepin the install a lil secret but estimate the time to be 4 hours?!?!?

Anakonda69
07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
well that prolly cuz you just have an upper. my buddy mark's install took 8 hours. basically they install a giant hub/router in your basement or wherever you want it that then runs all the tvs and internet and phone. just a big brain box.

Yooformula
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
mine was over 8 hours and they ran new cat5 wires and router/hub in the basement. their install was nice imo and clean with phone type jacks installed correctly unlike the clusterfuck twc did for me.

WickedSix
07-23-2010, 07:37 AM
looks like i'll have lots of unpacking time around the house on saturday then :goof

Gregor
07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I did mine before the Uverse guy came. I don't like strangers drilling into my home. I ran per outlet 4 cables, 1 Coax, 1 CAT6, 1 CAT5e and a Multimode fiber cable. The total outlets in the end were 7. It took 8 hours with a large lunch break. This also included tearing out all the old TWC trash.

When the tech showed up he freaked out. All he had to do was install the box/router and go. Was worth it in the end. Fiber optic isn't being used yet. :(

WickedSix
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
this has me a little worried I looked at the coax stuff in the basement last night while checking for water intrusion during our flood....its a rats nest and a half...there are signal amplifiers...splitters .... cable run next to the electrical panels.... i hope they can use the same spots in the walls and just run the wires better...i had my fill of pulling cat5 when i wired all the buildings in my HS as a course project...

WickedSix
07-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Install took just a tad over 3 hours. He ran cat5 to the main hub then used the existing coax to feed each TV. Said Signal to noise over the phone line into here was right on the border of what they'd like. I tried it out and the system handle two sd tv stream one hd stream and one recorded hd stream along with the internet on my laptop without degrading quality or speed. Very happy with this service.