PDA

View Full Version : chicago museum of science and industry questions...

Memphis
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
So I am attempting to take the family to the museum of science and industry in Chicago. I want to take them down on the train as they have never been on the train before. Does anyone know....how close the train gets to the museum? Also been trying to find a REASONABLE (ie NOT $200 a night) hotel within walking distance as we would not have a vehicle there. Looking to do a wekend deal. Anyone been there/from there/know anything about the area that could steer me in the right direction?

FoxStang
07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Train drops you off at union station, take the 151 bus to Michigan ave, hop on the 10 by Buckingham fountain and you're there. Fairly scenic way to do this as well.

Also look for free days online to really save some money, they're usually during the middle of the week, but tickets can be pricey so it might be worthwhile.

hotshift13
07-22-2010, 01:13 AM
or go get a madisons childrens museum, it works at the museum of science, get in free....

jbiscuit
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Matt what a great idea! The train is a lot of fun and the museum is a lot of fun too. Lots of good places to eat down there also. Have fun!

CATNHAT
07-22-2010, 08:29 AM
great thread--we were just talking about doing the exact same thing with our kids. Let us know if you go and how it worked out!

GRM-REPR
07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
We are also going to Shitcago for a few days in Aug. If you are serious about going, you need to book super fast. My fiance's sister is a GM at Hilton Hotels. She gets us all employee discounts at Hilton based hotel in America. She couldn't even get us Chicago land. Best is Oakbrook Terrace.

Think about Shed Aquarium if you haven't been there before. Kinda pricey though....

Jon

michelle
07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Train drops you off at union station, take the 151 bus to Michigan ave, hop on the 10 by Buckingham fountain and you're there. Fairly scenic way to do this as well.

Also look for free days online to really save some money, they're usually during the middle of the week, but tickets can be pricey so it might be worthwhile.

I kidnapped Adam a couple years ago and only gave him the hint "planes, trains, and automobiles - take away planes, and add a bus". I got so mixed up on which bus to go on when we got off the train (we boarded the train in Libertyville), it was ridiculous. I've never taken a city bus before, so I had no idea what I was doing and asking a couple bus drivers didn't get my anywhere successfully.

But we went to the Shedd Aquarium, lunch at Gino's East (one of our earlier dates after the Chicago Auto Show), and the Sears Tower before taking a cab and heading back to the train station.

Definitely recommend the Shedd Aquarium if you haven't been there in awhile. Sears Tower too, if it's a relatively clear day, but I think they renamed it. I am looking forward to going there again to walk on "the ledge".

SSLEVO
07-23-2010, 02:17 PM
the train can get pricy, around 22 each way for an adult
deff a cool trip though

pOrk
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
the train can get pricy, around 22 each way for an adult
deff a cool trip though

Its like 7.10 per person each way, and hotels in chicago are only reasonable during the winter.

SSLEVO
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Its like 7.10 per person each way, and hotels in chicago are only reasonable during the winter.

I'm assuming he was going to take the train from milwaukee, if that's the case its $22 each way, my wife just made that trip a few weeks ago.

pOrk
07-24-2010, 07:10 PM
What train goes from Milwaukee? Hyawatha I thought was much more expensive? I am talking about the train from Kenosha for those that don't know

0TransAm0
07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
^^ the metra train. you can get a 10 pack of one way tickets cheaper than that as well. and they don't expire for a year. cheaper than buying 4 one way tickets there and back(8 tickets total)
just an idea.
also with the metra train if you get a schedule you can find a time in the day when it doesn't make as many stops and its a relatively quick ride.

SSLEVO
07-24-2010, 09:44 PM
^^ the metra train. you can get a 10 pack of one way tickets cheaper than that as well. and they don't expire for a year. cheaper than buying 4 one way tickets there and back(8 tickets total)
just an idea.
also with the metra train if you get a schedule you can find a time in the day when it doesn't make as many stops and its a relatively quick ride.

Yeah, its actually pretty fast, i think we got down there in 1.5 hours even with multiple stops

FoxStang
07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I kidnapped Adam a couple years ago and only gave him the hint "planes, trains, and automobiles - take away planes, and add a bus". I got so mixed up on which bus to go on when we got off the train (we boarded the train in Libertyville), it was ridiculous. I've never taken a city bus before, so I had no idea what I was doing and asking a couple bus drivers didn't get my anywhere successfully.

But we went to the Shedd Aquarium, lunch at Gino's East (one of our earlier dates after the Chicago Auto Show), and the Sears Tower before taking a cab and heading back to the train station.

Definitely recommend the Shedd Aquarium if you haven't been there in awhile. Sears Tower too, if it's a relatively clear day, but I think they renamed it. I am looking forward to going there again to walk on "the ledge".

Willis tower now. I go to school in Chicago and get a Upass for 80 bucks a year so using as much public transit is the cost effective option, you learn the major bus lines pretty quickly once your there. And the Amtrak Hiawatha is def $22 each way, I used to take it home on the weekends from time to time before I brought my car down to school.