PDA

View Full Version : Vids from Gingerman event last weekend. New Layout

WhatsADSM
07-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Those of you who race at Gingerman will definately enjoy the video as it does a good job of showing what the new extension / layout is like. T9 was partially changed in that it is extended into almost two parts which can be taken as a single arc.. It reminds me a little of the back section of RA between the kink and Canada corner. After T9 is the totally new T10, which adds a totally different feel to the track. T10 is a little downhill and off-camber turn which after going down hill to the apex actually starts back uphill and to the back straight. I heard them call in the "bowl" which makes a lot of sense as that is kind of what it is. It does also add a little bit of distance to the back straight so the top speeds are a hair higher than they used to be. Also they mentioned that they were going to do some work to T11, honestly it looks like all they did was repave it a bit and the radius is the same as before.

So anyways this is video of the my last session of the weekend. It starts out with the warm up lap and then 2.5 laps after it. Since it was the last session I thought I would push some of the turns a bit harder and have some fun out there. So you get a bunch of cool stuff all in one session, including:
- My fastest lap of the weekend (I still have lots of areas to pick up time, I know)
- A crazy fast point by and pass of an MS3 that saw me coming after him like mad
- Some dori-dori style drifting out of the technical T5-->T6 section (I thought why not have some fun)
- Some drifting out of the same section which ends up with me off track... LOL. Maybe a 90* drift angle or whatever the hell those drifters call it, is NOT such a good idea. :goof

The video is in HD although it is a low quality HD. I am in the process of getting a newer higher quality video up of this session, but video editting is SLOW AS HELL on this computer so I don't think I will have it up until some time tomorrow. In any case for now this is good enough, you still get good enough resolution to make out a bit of the tach and speedo :)

E4bXACPo5yw&hd=1

Link for HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4bXACPo5yw&hd=1

TheRX7Project
07-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Man that looks like fun. One of these days I gotta get my shit together and go with you.

Josepy
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
awesome vid. looks like you hardly on it when it spun.

Dr.Buick
07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
looks like fun maybe new project?

0TransAm0
07-20-2010, 03:48 PM
cool vid. looks like a blast. bet that dude you passed the lap before was LOL when he saw you go off the track.. lol

WhatsADSM
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
awesome vid. looks like you hardly on it when it spun.

Yea I was taking that turn to hot and was actually on the throttle a bit. You're right the turbo wasn't full on, but I was definitely on the throttle with partial boost... I knew it was going to drift out on me. I just kind of wanted to see how far I could push it. Apparently not that far :chair:

cool vid. looks like a blast. bet that dude you passed the lap before was LOL when he saw you go off the track.. lol

Yea. He probably was, kind of like when you see some jackass cutting through traffic like an idiot and then pulled over a mile or so up the road :rolf

But honestly at these events it is pretty common to see people go off track so he probably didn't think too much of it. In fact if that was the same grey MS3 I am thinking of (there may have been 2), in an earlier session he went off at T3 far enough that he actually went out to the grass hill thing and had to get pulled out, lol.

stealthy1ss
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Looks like you had a lot of fun. Did you have the car setup the same way that you do for RA?

WhatsADSM
07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Looks like you had a lot of fun. Did you have the car setup the same way that you do for RA?

Yup. Only difference functionally is that I have a new rear sway bar set for its softest setting (which is still probably a little stiffer than the stock bar). Interestingly enough I still have no front sway bar, and after driving it myself and having a buddy who is a more advanced driver take a spin in it, we are both actually pretty impressed with how well balanced it is without the front bar. I have a front bar on order, however I will need to think long and hard about whether or not I actually want to deal with putting it on. Not sure if it will do more harm or more good.

One thing to note about the RA versus Gingerman thing though is that my car is setup FAR FAR better for RA than Gingerman (even though I drive better at Gingerman than RA). I have big power, late powerband, big grip, and I'm not the lightest one out there.

Gingerman is a little like an enlarged auto-x course, and is a lot tighter without too many straights where my car can actually stretch its legs. So really a car like yours (albeit with some better tires and brakes) would feel at home at Gingerman, and do decent at RA. Where as mine would feel at home at RA and do decent at Gingerman.

michelle
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for posting! I was looking forward to seeing what the track changes looked like.

stealthy1ss
07-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Yup. Only difference functionally is that I have a new rear sway bar set for its softest setting (which is still probably a little stiffer than the stock bar). Interestingly enough I still have no front sway bar, and after driving it myself and having a buddy who is a more advanced driver take a spin in it, we are both actually pretty impressed with how well balanced it is without the front bar. I have a front bar on order, however I will need to think long and hard about whether or not I actually want to deal with putting it on. Not sure if it will do more harm or more good.

One thing to note about the RA versus Gingerman thing though is that my car is setup FAR FAR better for RA than Gingerman (even though I drive better at Gingerman than RA). I have big power, late powerband, big grip, and I'm not the lightest one out there.

Gingerman is a little like an enlarged auto-x course, and is a lot tighter without too many straights where my car can actually stretch its legs. So really a car like yours (albeit with some better tires and brakes) would feel at home at Gingerman, and do decent at RA. Where as mine would feel at home at RA and do decent at Gingerman.

Your driving style/attitude was way different at Gingerman vs RA but I understand why. If you go to Gingerman next year Murray I would love to go with. This year a family reunion just happen to fall on the same day.