PDA

View Full Version : Excursion

NachoNotch
07-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Thinking of picking up an Excursion diesel. Any opinions? Years i should stay away from? Known issues? Thanks

SmokinRAM114
07-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Anything with a 6.0l is going to be a 50/50 shot of actually having no issues. Stay with a 2000-2003 7.3l they r kinda getting hard to find with 'low miles' and u may pay MORE for it but ull thank ur self later. With any 6.0l ull have there known head gasket egr issues. There are fixes obviously but it'll be from ur check book.

lilws6
07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
don't the 6.0 have turbo poppin issues as well or is that the headgaskets

emptypockets
07-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Same advice, stay away from the 6.0.

Monstr913
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
stay away from fords, best advice ever lol...yea 7.3 is the best bet

NachoNotch
07-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks guys.

Yeehaw
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
watch out for the 99-03 7.3s they have issues with breaking connecting rods

the 6.0 is fine just don't buy an '03, they had a lot of issues with maintence when they came out that causes issues, if you leave it stock and take care of a 6.0 it will be a damn good motor.....or just throw some new headgaskets and ARP studs in it then a EGR delete kit you will have a bullet proof truck

emptypockets
07-19-2010, 06:39 PM
watch out for the 99-03 7.3s they have issues with breaking connecting rods

the 6.0 is fine just don't buy an '03, they had a lot of issues with maintence when they came out that causes issues, if you leave it stock and take care of a 6.0 it will be a damn good motor.....or just throw some new headgaskets and EGR studs in it then a EGR delete kit you will have a bullet proof truck

Yeah... Just pull the top end of your engine apart to make it reliable.... :rolleyes:

OR... Buy a Chevy or Dodge from the get go and dont worry about anything but shredding transmissions! :thumbsup

hrsp
07-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah... Just pull the top end of your engine apart to make it reliable.... :rolleyes:

OR... Buy a Chevy or Dodge from the get go and dont worry about anything but shredding transmissions! :thumbsup

:rolf:rolf:rolf

Yeehaw
07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
the LLY duramax is common for blowing headgaskets too so

my truck has 132k on it original and has stock everything no issues. But i plan on putting in the black onyx gaskets and ARP studs. But i am also planning on throwing a heavy tune and a good amount of fuel into it, better to be safe then sorry

Anakonda69
07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
every vehicle has issues. just depends on what your willing to deal with.

Yeehaw
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM

that is just it, i heard a lot of horror about the 6.0s til i talked to a lot of 6.0 owners. My friend dave lives up north of the state and he has an 06 that has been sct tuned and beat to hell for the last 70k miles....stock head gaskets and stock egr NO issues....as much as everyone wants to say they are a POS i will stick with it :thumbsup

emptypockets
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM

This is true, pick your battles wisely though... :thumbsup

SmokinRAM114
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
that is just it, i heard a lot of horror about the 6.0s til i talked to a lot of 6.0 owners. My friend dave lives up north of the state and he has an 06 that has been sct tuned and beat to hell for the last 70k miles....stock head gaskets and stock egr NO issues....as much as everyone wants to say they are a POS i will stick with it :thumbsup

kyle what if he doesnt want to mod his truck? he wants to get in it and turn the key and its going to drive. a 6.0L is NOT that truck. you picked a 6.0 cuz ur a psd lover and you want to mod it. 90% of the issues with them go hand in hand with upgrades due to mods. i bought a cummins cuz i want to make more horsepower then a chevy or ford can ever dream of on stock engine parts. the transmissions i didnt care about cuz it would be built at some point anyway. if ur truck truely has had no issues its the ONLY one i have EVER heard about. i have first hand have seen issues with EVERY single 6.0l iv been around 03-06 and only 3 were moded in someway.. heres a run down,
work vans (4), (2) 2003 (2) 2004. parts run down between them- 3 turbos 3 egrs 10 sets of head gaskets upwards of 20 cam sensors(ask kilpatricks about this one..) 1 ecm.
my buddy jasons (06) 1 egr 1 turbo 1 set of head gaskets several injectors due to hpop putting metal in the oil then 1 hpop. he moded it as problems pertained then sold it and bought a 05 which now has cummins in it.
my buddy ryans 2004 1 turbo hpop system orings needed replacing 2 cam sensors 1 egr 2 sets head gaskets 4 injector orings. modded it as problems came and sold it.
my dads friends 05 has had 1 egr 2 sets head gaskets and 4 turbos!! and its currently in now for a turbo.
my aunts 03 has had 1 egr.
crustys dads 04 had 3 egrs and 1 set of head gaskets.

This is true, pick your battles wisely though... :thumbsup

word^

Yeehaw
07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
everyone i have been around has had no issues, and talking over 100k miles...even the shop truck has 215k of hard plowing and hauling and only has had a torque convertor replaced or else is all maintence. Drive it nicely, no mods, no super heavy hauling (over 10k lbs i'd say) and change the oil every 5k and use correct Ford coolant you will be fine it will be a great truck

but yes i would stick with a 7.3, my last truck had 313k and everyone knows i beat the living f**k out of it and it is still running

2002 WARHAWK
08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
go with a 7.3 and never look back! check on powerstrokenation.com (great info site)

floaters
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
6.0 are good engines, they had issues with tuning/programming that created problems in the beginning, also lack of maintenance was an issue too. but run real good when problems are sorted out(and sound cool too!) a lot of newer trucks have problems with egr systems and injectors(gm, ford, dodge) its just the way it is now with emissions, engine design, and ULSD fuel. i worked for international for a few years and now work for a fleet with all different brands and engines and i see problems with them all, just for me it doesn't seem like a big deal to have an injector or egr cooler go out because i work on them all the time. 7.3 are a pretty solid truck, but they do have suspension issues, cam sensor issues(sorted out now finally), and the occasional water pump and injector going out. dodge i have seen trans issues, injector issues, gm i have seen injector issues, egr issues, and rare but expensive allison trans issues. so pick what you will they can all have some sort of issues.

KyleTT
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
What type of mileage does a 7.3 Excursion get? I've been looking at getting a full-size SUV and would prefer the Expedition except they never made a diesel for it. I know the 7.3 would have more torque over the V8 Expedition but what about mileage?

Yeehaw
10-09-2011, 03:02 PM
What type of mileage does a 7.3 Excursion get? I've been looking at getting a full-size SUV and would prefer the Expedition except they never made a diesel for it. I know the 7.3 would have more torque over the V8 Expedition but what about mileage?

depending on gearing, but usually the 3.73 geared trucks can easily see 20-23 on the highway