PDA

View Full Version : headliner!!!!

hrsp
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
car is a 1997 sts...it has a sunroof...the headliner and the a pillars need to be recovered..where do i take it? how much should i expect to spend? THANKS!!!

hrsp
07-16-2010, 06:34 PM
anyone????

TransAm12sec
07-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll ask my Dad this weekend, my car was done years ago when my sister owned it.

03CVLX
07-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Don't really know on cost. But two thoughts. Is this a factory Sunroof car? Its an STS so I am going to assume yes but you never know.

I know the headliners are a bit different to make room for the Sunroof assembly and if it is an aftermarket roof, you may be stuck taking it to someplace like Erickson Auto trim and having them make a headliner vs one that is already made for the car. Only thing I don't know is how much that may affect the price.

Again not the same car, but I was calling around on a friends 1995 Cougar that needs a headliner, and I got quotes on the low end for 89 bucks to upwards of 200 this was down in Florida though. So prices here may be a little more normal.

Reverend Cooper
07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Edlo auto trim dont know how much

84hurst
07-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I had the headliner in my Olds done prolly 5 years ago at perfection auto trim on hwy 100 and layton. He did a great job and it still looks good. Cost about $180 with the visors done as well. No sunroof/t-tops

fly5150
07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I just did the headliner in the new truck today. Fake Charcoal Suede.
It looks fantastic.
Andy and Phil at Project 2 helped me out.
:)

hrsp
07-16-2010, 11:54 PM
it is a factory sunroof car...id get the visors done as well...

lordairgtar
07-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Ever think of doing it yourself?

hrsp
07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Ever think of doing it yourself?

no just prefer someone to do it right...lol

hrsp
07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
well if i decide to buy the car maybe i could just pay someone here to do it nice for me? that person makes a buck and i can save a buck....i will keep you guys posted!

If your someone who can and will do this nicely fro me please pm me a price on material and labor! thanks

hotshift13
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
It's not hard, I just did mine on Saturday in a Trans Am, tweed is hard to man handle....

hrsp
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
well im buying it...will be picking up next week tuesday...

Philly-O
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
being a gm i am assuming that the factory headliner is falling or sagging, that makes it a bit more expensive. not a difficult job but time consuming to make it right. if it is falling or sagging you will have to peel the old headliner off and then grind all of the old foam off before recovering it. just a rough quote to (remove and reinstall headliner from car, grinding old foam from headliner, wrap pillars, visors and sunshade) would be roughly $500. headliner alone which usually can be matched well to the factory material would be around $300. you can save quite a bit of money if you bring the parts to us. if you do end up trying it yourself, make sure you use proper spray glue.

hrsp
07-28-2010, 12:54 AM
being a gm i am assuming that the factory headliner is falling or sagging, that makes it a bit more expensive. not a difficult job but time consuming to make it right. if it is falling or sagging you will have to peel the old headliner off and then grind all of the old foam off before recovering it. just a rough quote to (remove and reinstall headliner from car, grinding old foam from headliner, wrap pillars, visors and sunshade) would be roughly $500. headliner alone which usually can be matched well to the factory material would be around $300. you can save quite a bit of money if you bring the parts to us. if you do end up trying it yourself, make sure you use proper spray glue.

where is this at?

hrsp
07-28-2010, 12:58 AM
ooops i just saw Project two!!

car is a dd and winter car...wasnt looking to spend that much i might just do it myself if i destroy it atleast i learned on a cheaper car...i just hate how it looks now..

so i should take down the old headliner and grind of the old faom before taking it to get a few quotes? Thanks again!

Philly-O
07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
easiest way i found to remove the old foam is to use 36 grit sand paper with a short sanding block and scrub away. you want to be careful not to damege the actual headliner under the foam. when you get the foam removed pretty well you can then use a da with 80 grit disc and clean the rest up that way. time consuming but the more time you put into prep work, the better the final result will be. visors are quite a bit trickier and i would remoment taking them to a professional to have done (if they need to be recovered). let me know if i can help or give further advise.

Slow Joe
07-29-2010, 12:23 AM
What he said, plus a headliner kit from JC Whitney...

I'd skip the visors.

I was going to do this to my old Saab 9000 when I had it. I was planning on doing a black headliner in a car with a tan interior. That way you aren't upset when the color don't match the current interior correctly.

fly5150
07-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Yep. If you take your time, its not that hard. Just think before you stick....

that sounds bad....

What he said, plus a headliner kit from JC Whitney...

I'd skip the visors.

I was going to do this to my old Saab 9000 when I had it. I was planning on doing a black headliner in a car with a tan interior. That way you aren't upset when the color don't match the current interior correctly.

Rocket Power
07-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I did mine in my wagon by following these directions, still there 2 or 3 years later
http://tech.oldsgmail.com/int_headliner.php

BadAzzGTA89
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Easy to do i use to do interior at DMC.

scarlettwesley
07-30-2010, 01:43 AM
id get the visors done as well...

Z28Envy
07-30-2010, 03:04 AM
id get the visors done as well...

You should get a new signature first:thumbsup

hrsp
07-31-2010, 01:06 AM
i will be calling around next week for prices...if i cant get it in for a cheap enough price i will hack at it myself...lol..thanks guys