PDA

View Full Version : alternater issues???

lilws6
07-15-2010, 06:52 PM
ok so couple days after the night at the strip my check gauges light came on. i was following some one out to dousman to get my new diff for the truck. looked and the voltage was way down. so i figured will make it. we did barely just pulling int he drive the thing almost died it was lopin real hard. so i got an alt next day and put it in. wed. it was fine all the way to and from work and to work today it was fine. on the way back i got on it a little bit and looked down and the gauge light was on again low voltage. made it home the gauge not moving too much. put the volt meter on it. batt has 12.24 somethign wen off. and when running its at 11.8. Is there something else i should look at i wiggled the wires and got no change. voltage still low. did it just torche anouther alt? i do have a lifetime warranty. i did charge the battery back up before i started it with the new alternater. what else should i be lookign for just not my luck at all this year. elec. issues with the car and the truck keeps getting worse

SlowMotion
07-15-2010, 07:05 PM
How are your ground and power cables from the alternator to battery and battery to frame,etc? Did you happen to burn one or was something not reconnected?

lilws6
07-15-2010, 07:25 PM
theres a plug on the top of the alt. and what i assume in the power wire bolted to the bottom. both connected and the wires look fine?

brotherbenn83
07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
is that running 11v measured at the battery? Try measuring it right at the nut where the battery cable hooks to back of the alternator and use the alternator case as your ground. If you have 13.5-15volts there, I would say you have a voltage drop on your positive cabling somewhere, most likely at your starter motor.

lilws6
07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
that was 11 at the battery when running 12.24 when off. i'll check that tomarow when i go to yank the alt back out. getting it warrantied just in case. since wen i put the new one in it was fien for a day and a half. then blah nothing.