PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever have something like this happen??

Voodoo Chick
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Well.....I had my Oldsmobile at a car show last week, and seeing as she's 37 years old and pretty much all original, there's bound to be a few small areas showing age.......one of those areas was the passenger side tail fin. It had a thin but not particularly noticeable crack in it. No big deal.....until some F***ING IDIOT was standing by her (I had walked away) and leaned his full 250+ lbs on the cracked fin, I came back, and yelled at him to get his hands off her, and then I saw that the whole tail fin is now in pieces, and basically held together with the bolts attaching it to her body. He of course insisted "it was like that already" (it most certainly was NOT) and I went home immediately and ordered a new part, whatever, but I no longer even want to bring my cars to shows for fear some bullshit like this will recur. Anyone else ever have a dumbass at a car show actually damage your car?? I am still so pissed I feel sick. :fire :chair:

TraceDaddy
06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Not to that extent. I have found new door dings and a scuff on my rear bumper cover.

jbiscuit
06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I have multiple scratches in my driver's side door from people leaning into the car to look at it. One is a deep scratch, likely from a belt/buckle. Its a shame that cars get damaged at car shows but it does happen. I feel your pain though Sunny!

Yooformula
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
thats bullshit! people shouldnt be leaning on someone else's cars at car shows. you should have made a big stink about it.

Doc Brown
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I can definitely relate to your problem, but not to the extent of the damage. Children and adults alike are always touching, leaning against, knocking on, hanging off of or climbing into my Delorean, and it has happened so often during my ownership that now either my wife or I must be present with the car at all times to keep this sort of thing to a minimum, otherwise I'm conviced serious damage or mystery theft of parts from my car will occur.

PureSound15
06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I had someone get in my car so that her husband could take pictures at the EAA show last year - not cool.

I told this one chick to take out her nipple rings before bending over the hood too - thank got those buffed out.

Neal Steffek
06-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I never understood why people would want to bring a car to a car show. What's the point?

You have a car that you like, so you take it out to show it off, knowing people are going to be touching it and talking crap about it. (yes, even non riced out cars). What's the point? Why show off your car? I know I am going to get shit for it here but are people thinking they are cooler then others by showing off their car, and then having to defend it to others?

If you have a car you like, enjoy it yourself. If you go show it off don't be surprised if shit happens.

PureSound15
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
^^ that doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd be just as upset if I walked into a parking lot and saw someone leaning or touching my DD. It's still someone's property.

pOrk
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I got a few scratches on my brand new paint the first DAY out of the paint booth up in Dells on my s10. Thats when I installed wireless switches for the airride, and I turned launching people off of my bed into a game.

Neal Steffek
06-29-2010, 04:37 PM
^^ that doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd be just as upset if I walked into a parking lot and saw someone leaning or touching my DD. It's still someone's property.

To me if you are going to have a nice car you care about, and don't want F'd up, then you leave that car at home, and drive your DD. I could give a rats ass about my DD (thus why it's a DD ;) )

When I have my nice car out, i dont take it where I know parking is going to suck, or there are going to be a lot of people around it.

Yes, I know people should keep their hands off no matter what, but people suck ass. I have to take care of my stuff becasue I know no one else will.

Korndogg
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I think a lot of people here take their cars to car shows to just shoot the shit with other people and some people (myself included) don't get to take their cars out all the time so its nice to be able to take the car out and talk with some friends. Its not always about showing off your car.

b4mytm
06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I think a lot of people here take their cars to car shows to just shoot the shit with other people and some people (myself included) don't get to take their cars out all the time so its nice to be able to take the car out and talk with some friends. Its not always about showing off your car.

exactly!

I was at Georgies quite awhile back with my'68 Camaro and someone with a
'56 T-bird parked next to me and the owner opened his door right into my car...so hard that it shook (I was leaning against the front). Then he says that he didn't do it. I show him his turquoise paint that is still on my car.He still doesn't get it. There is more that went on that I won't get into on here,but luckily his wife was nice and gave me their information so I could get it fixed.

wrath
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, and I tore their fscking mirror off as soon as they turned around.

Some people are wastes of air and the only thing they understand is equal and opposite.

lordairgtar
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Same thing happened to me at a show. When I had my Merc wagon, I had it in a few shows. Now it wasn't the best or a $100,000 frame off restoration, just a nice original car that I used every day. I expect the normal dents and dings and scratches from driving it, but some Harley douche with chains hanging from his trucker wallet was leaning against it when I came back from drawing a car. I told him to remove his butt from my car and he looked at me like I was a piece of doodoo and ignored me. I hence forth opened my storage panel in the back and removed the car's tire iron and I then politely asked him to get the f*** off my car. He made a move toward me and his buddies convinced him to just leave.

Plum Crazy
06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Same thing happened to me at a show. When I had my Merc wagon, I had it in a few shows. Now it wasn't the best or a $100,000 frame off restoration, just a nice original car that I used every day. I expect the normal dents and dings and scratches from driving it, but some Harley douche with chains hanging from his trucker wallet was leaning against it when I came back from drawing a car. I told him to remove his butt from my car and he looked at me like I was a piece of doodoo and ignored me. I hence forth opened my storage panel in the back and removed the car's tire iron and I then politely asked him to get the f*** off my car. He made a move toward me and his buddies convinced him to just leave.

Was that you at the Brat Stop show drawing cars?? What do you charge for that???

tommyt5078
06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I got a new car $30,000 + for it, and backed into a tree first night I had her, and only 80 miles on it, fing sucked. I feel better now with 45,000 miles on it but that first night sucked!!!!!

lordairgtar
06-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Was that you at the Brat Stop show drawing cars?? What do you charge for that???
Yes, that was me. I charge $30 for a basic 9X11 pic.

nismodave
06-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I had someone get in my car so that her husband could take pictures at the EAA show last year - not cool.

That was crazy last year. Me and Coops Mom had to beat people off of Yours, Coops and Javers cars with a stick.

Slow Joe
06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Meh, this is the reason I stopped going to shows with the Mach when I had it... Black car + people that liked to touch, and lean on it = scratches....

I'd of snapped on someone if they had actually damaged it to the extent that happened to yours.

Steve03CVPI
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Nope, never have that problem, people seem to avoid my car like the plague.

nismodave
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Meh, this is the reason I stopped going to shows with the Mach when I had it..

You drove that car less than 50 times when you owned it. So chances were not that good you were going to have it out the same time a show was going on. :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

srt4eh
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't understand people who get close to cars at shows or even touch them. I always have a foot between me and the car. I wouldn't want anyone to damage my car so why allow the chance for me to damage theirs....

Waver
06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
You drove that car less than 50 times when you owned it. So chances were not that good you were going to have it out the same time a show was going on. :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

that is because that is all his wife would let him drive HER car lol

just kidding joe

Slow Joe
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Less than 50 times? I nearly doubled the miles... 11000 @ 50 times = 220 miles per drive... I can guarantee you that my old grocery getter got less than 220 miles than that per drive... :rolf

Hell I've put more miles on my 9-5 since I've had it... And we got that in Feb! :rolf

lilws6
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I've always kept my distance at shows i like to look at stuff but i don't touch stuff unless ive got permission. i point and lean as far as i think i can without having any of my body or clothing even touch a vehicle. ive never had any one at a show get touchy feely with my car yet but haven't been to many. just recently my sister thought it was a good idea to take pictures of her friend sitting on the wing of my car. Now i know the girl doesn't weigh a whole lot but get your GOD DAMN ASS OFF MY CAR! i'm sorry but i'm picky about that shit no one sits on my car hell i don't even lean on the damn thing. the paint is in no way perfect but have you ever priced out what paint matching pewter metalic paint cost damn it aint cheap. not as bad as a SOM car but still!

STANMAN
06-29-2010, 08:40 PM
What I hate is little goth chics coming up to me at car shows and giving me big hugs like they haven't seen me in forever;)

Did the "new" repo piece fit Christine?

Cryptic
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
My widebody fenders are FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). I catch people leaning against them all the time and I freak out becuase I know one day someone is going to crack them.

Silver350
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
With my old truck I never had some body do anything that bad but I had a few people lean on my truck like it was theirs, I even had a reporter for the west allis star throw his note pad on my hood to get something out of his pocket and I just had my cowl hood for less then 6 months.

lordairgtar
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
What I hate is little goth chics coming up to me at car shows and giving me big hugs like they haven't seen me in forever;)

Little Goth chicks can hug me anytime.:crazyeyes

BR3W CITY
06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
this is making me not want to get my c10 into paint....i should just leave it 9 diff colors and work on the motor.

TheRX7Project
06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Before Solid Gold got stupid (like, 15 years ago) my dad had his Superbee there and some jaghole was leaning against the fiberglass door and left a nice stress crack. I've been pretty lucky so far with people not touching my cars (now, hit and runs are another story). Maybe they're afraid they'll get tetanus?

Voodoo Chick
06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Fine, then....no more hugs for YOU, Mr. Man!! Next time I see you I'll just kick you in the behind instead!! :devil Anyway, the new part looks like it might fit her, but installation is going to be tedious and labor-intensive.

ricksws7
06-30-2010, 07:52 PM
WOW ! I have never had any problem at any car shows, but I feel for you guys. I always try to stay by my car if I can. Rick

STANMAN
07-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Fine, then....no more hugs for YOU, Mr. Man!! Next time I see you I'll just kick you in the behind instead!! :devil Anyway, the new part looks like it might fit her, but installation is going to be tedious and labor-intensive.

Well, I will have to be proactive and hug you then......oh wait, that's what happened at Borchardts, lol.

Glad the part fit. Next time we are at a show just park her next to my car, it's so hideous no one will linger long enough to lean on her:goof

Voodoo Chick
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Well, I will have to be proactive and hug you then......oh wait, that's what happened at Borchardts, lol.

Glad the part fit. Next time we are at a show just park her next to my car, it's so hideous no one will linger long enough to lean on her:goof

I think next time we are at a show, I'll borrow a live snake from one of my friends and let it sleep on her hood........maybe then the idiots will leave her be......:shades But anyway, I don't think I'll be doing any car shows for quite a while after this incident. I think I have to get over it first.