PDA

View Full Version : Mold ahhhhh!!!!

pOrk
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
My basement is infested, what do I do? Last time I was down there was like 2 weeks ago, and it was damp but none of THIS was there.

I am running an Ozone Purifier down there now that I borroed from a BCM friend, but what do I need to do besides that? I didn't expect this when I went down there today looking for a movie, damn...

pOrk
06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/couch1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/couch2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/endtable.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/floor.jpg

GTSLOW
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
OMFG :puke

Kill it with fire!

Yooformula
06-28-2010, 06:17 PM
damm! thats alot of stale, stagnant, damp air with no movement. if you can replace a window with one that opens, put in a small fan to remove the stale air, 1 fan to circulate air in that direction and a dehumidifier to dry it out. Works wonders in my basement! an air purifier wont do shit to remove moisture.

WickedSix
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
humidifier in great need damn...there a leak somewhere?

0TransAm0
06-28-2010, 07:31 PM
wow thats nasty.

That_Guy
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I can borrow u a few fans! U also need bleach and a dehumidfier! We have 2 brandnew lg dehumidifiers running right now after this last week its amazing how much water these things are pulling from the air. Both ar rated at 6 gallons every 4 hours.

xxsn0blindxx
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Whoa holy crap! Make sure you wear a respirator while cleaning and try to keep the air moving out the basement windows. You don't want the mold spores going into the rest of the house once you start disturbing them during cleaning. Next thing is get a de-humidifer since the humidity is the cause of your mold. One tip is get a dehumidifier that has a drain or drill a hole in the reservoir and add a hose barb to pour out into a drain. Unless you're constantly checking and emptying it, the thing will stop running when it gets full.

Has the mold gotten into any drywall or paneling?

Anakonda69
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
you need a dehumidifier. humidity is what causes mold. air is your basement i s way to damp.

MoCkiN U
06-28-2010, 09:55 PM
damn dude. when it rains it pours at your place.

good luck brotha!!!

pOrk
06-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Bought a dehumidifier tonight from home depot, rana garden hose from it to sump. I figured I would let it run for a few days and spray the couches with bleach to kill thatt shit before removing from the basement. Looks like the drywall in the bathroom is affected but the rest seems fine, time will tell. To say this sucks is an under statement, this is the only room in our house that was finished and I totally forgot that the dehumidifier I had was returned and not replaced. I hope drywall is ok, the furniture was free anyways. Anyone want to help me tile the floor? I think carpet is probably toast...

Silver350
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Holy Crap! I have never seen mold that bad. I would want to think that there is a problem the way the basement has to be constructed. I would have to think that the person who did it didn't do a vapor barrier and drywalled to cover foundation issues. I would recomend getting a professional in there to give you a better idea what you need to do.

MoCkiN U
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I would be interested in learning how to tile and help you out

Slow Joe
06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Personally I'd at least tear into one wall, and if there's insulation to see if there's mold in there. There could be mold on the inside of the drywall.

Rather be safe than sorry...

CATNHAT
06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
did you disconect that downspout on the northeast corner of your house? just let it discharge to grade with an extension. My guess is that is where the water infiltration is coming from. If I remember correctly, you had positive grade to flow.

Dehu is imperative.

let me know if you want me to look at it again, see if we can solve this.

what about your chimney?

awsomeears
06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Dam dude that is NASTY !!!

I'd open up the walls and double check, you can seriously get sick with mold issues !!!

I'd call a pro...............

Good luck

theavenger333
06-29-2010, 12:10 AM
LIGHT! light kills mold as well. if you have basement windows, usually people keep them covered and such. get them uncovered, let some light in. otherwise get halogen style lights, not flourecent(sp)

hrsp
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
yikes man thats nuts

jbiscuit
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
WOW that is pretty bad. Any updates? With all this rain we have been getting you have to be getting water into the basement somewhere creating the dampness/stale air. Clean everything down there well with bleach and run a bunch of fans to get the dampness out along with your dehumidifier. Should work for ya

pOrk
07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Have an ozone purifier running along with a dehumidifier, starting to smell better down there and slowly drying out. Kelley is comin by today to help me haul out the couches once those are out it will dry up quick. Walls in bathroom are questionable but I think the rest are mold free. Time will tell

awsomeears
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
If you would have left it any longer you could have walked into a room full of ................

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/natural_cheese.jpg

mr.gone1985
07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
If you need a pro I would go to Sid Grinker Restoration. They are handling the tornado damage, water damage and all of the other repairs to bring the house back to where it was and better. They also have a mold free guarantee. Might be worth a call.