PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs Dish?

WickedSix
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay moving to lannon in a month and don't know what to pick for internet/tv service. I have Charter up here in lomira right now and its decent both in price and in quality (doesn't seem to have as many problems as Time-warner like my folks have). Looks like lannon cable is time-warner so i'm asking about peoples opinions of the cable service and other potentials. Who has what? seems like the satelite is cheaper monthly but is there an initial buy in? what about internet service thru them anybody have it?

I don't watch a ton of TV on cable so I buy the basic channels usually but want to add HBO cus their shows are damn addicting...

DerangedPony
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I do over-the-air for most stuff anf have my computer connected to the tv for Hulu and other shows. Im cheap

Dasred
06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I recently moved up north of Crivitz, and all we have is dish up here.
I am not very happy with it.
I had TW when I was in the MKE area, and yeah, it went out once in a while, but just the menu system, dvr and other options worked much better in my opinion from TW.
Plus, with all the storms we've been getting lately, dish has been out alot!

EvolvedRegal
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I have DISH and the only time it went out this year was last week with the storm, other than that I haven't had a problem. TWC can suck balls.

Karps TA
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I just switched from Direct TV to Dish network. So far very happy with Dish. Direct TV can go f' themselves the crooks that they are.

ND4SPD
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I've had both Charter (when I lived in Madison) and now TWC. To be honest, I really can't complain about either. I don't watch a ton of TV so the occasional "on demand" hiccups are really the only problems I've had. For Internet... until data over powerline is available... you really can't beat it. I am a HEAVY net user and if there's an outage, I usually know about it. Even when I'm not home I'm frequently remoting in to get at QuickBooks or other stuff. I've never had satellite and to be honest, never really considered it (except back in the day of analog signal when you could pull all kinds of interesting stuff out of the sky... as long as you knew where to point the dish.

People bitch and complain about cable and the cost, but consider the infrastructure investment these companies have. Their cables have to cover huge metro areas. That kind of coverage is second only to the power company at this point. Keeping all that equipment costs money... a lot of it. That's also why it's hard to have more than one cable company in town. Unless you're going to have the municipality own and maintain the infrastructure and lease it out to providers... there's really no way to have several competitors in the same area (unless you want the power poles looking like the ones in some 3rd world countries where there's 60 different cables hanging on the pole).

Anakonda69
06-29-2010, 12:32 PM
directv. i lost a signal for 20 minutes in the tornado storm last week.

xxsn0blindxx
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
My parents had dish when I was growing up and still do now due to where they live. I have always had cable and definitely wouldn't switch to satellite. Having to scrape snow off a dish in the middle of winter is no fun.

DirtyMax
06-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I was happy with DirecTV until 2 weeks ago when my neighbor's tree had grown to the point where it blocked my signal. No Uverse in my hood so TWC it was. No complaints there either yet though.

Slow Joe
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Time Warner Cable > Charter

I've had both.

VroomPshhTsi
06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Time Warner Cable > Charter

I've had both.

x2, I'd still take cable over dish any day.

Moparjim
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
My cable always works, and works great. I have TWC phone, inet, tv. Other companies like AT&T come around with offers all the time, and usually can barely match my rates or are more expensive as well.

Seems to depend on area, some complain about TWC but here in Oak Creek and at my previous house in Saint Francis it was virtually NEVER out and always working rain storm or shine.

JC70SS
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Dish network f'ed my Moms roof up by drilling into a non-attic area. It now leaks a small bit of water in the water when ice dams start. They will not fix it either. Go with cable.