PDA

View Full Version : diff siezing?

lilws6
06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
ok so i was cruising back from cabelas yesterday and i sorta noticed this slight whine when under slight accel on the freeway. i made it almost all the way back and the truck starts bogging.(it was on cruise) So i flipped the cruise off and the truck started slowing down like i was on the brakes!? and i got this really bad smell coming in the truck. Smelled like gear lube. So first thing i think of is axle seals. Got off the freeway pulled into the park and ride. seemed to drive fine then. looked underneath the truck no signs of oil anywhere front to back clean. So we get back on the road, i hammered on it a little bit getting back on the hwy and it smells again. but under normal load seems fine? is there something in the diff i should be looking for? like its burning fluid and the smells coming out of a vent tube or something? i jacked it up wen i got home fluid level was fine couldn't really see the color of it. Is the rear axle still under factory warranty? its got 81k on it wasn't shure if the powertrain covered that? i think it also has a whine to it why cruising now so i'm leaning to a bearing of some sort in the axle? i don't even beat on this thing but someone must have :(

WickedSix
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
is the smeel coming from the front axle or the rear? did you spin the wheels and feel for rough spots in the wheel bearings when u have it jacked up? Did someone pull the axles out the rear recently?

Your rear axle is a full floater the wheel bearings have a reservoir at the wheel end that holds gear lube. If they get starved of lube those bearings can get fried poste haste.

There is also a pump rub issue in the Tcase....but it would of smelled like atf....

Bottom line if you are smelling gearlube u need to find the source...if no leaks its gettin mighty hot somewhere....

From the mods u've said the truck has..yes it was most definitely beat on...but that rearend is pretty damn resiliant even with stupid high power.

lilws6
06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
guess i should have mentioned it is a 2wd truck. no front axle or t case. when spining the tire i didnt' notice any rough spots so to speak. but when you spin the one wheel the other goes the oposite way witch is normal and makes some noise but i'm thinking its just the free floater part? not shure i'm probably going to pick up gear lube from work today and pull the cover off for an inspection. if there was a leak this would be easy to find but no leak and the smell has me worried

WickedSix
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
did the rear calipers drag at all? Had one truck drag a caliper so bad it heated up the seal and oil so bad it would leak past and then burn up on the hot rotor. Free floater really doesn't make any more noise than any other

I'd check from the outside in start with the brakes, check the axle tubes for any signs of distress, pop the axles, check the wheel bearings, pop cover and check the diff. IF you can hear a noise growling whining etc a screw driver handle to the ear and the point near each bearing will help u find the culprit

lilws6
06-22-2010, 11:12 AM
no calipers were fine and not stuck i thought of that right away as it was like i hit the brakes it slowed so hard. how do the axles come out of this one? its got new rear brakes so thos should come off easy. think when i get home i'll jack it up again and spin it listening for noise.

WickedSix
06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
The axles comes out super easy you just take out the 8 bolts on the end of the axle and the whole axle will slide out, you don't even have to remove the wheel to do it

Anakonda69
06-22-2010, 11:16 AM
8 bolts underneath the center caps and the axle will slide right out.

lilws6
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Fun fun. Guess I'm not fishing tonight

brotherbenn83
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Maybe someone recently did a pinion seal on it and hammered the yoke down TIGHT and smoked your pinion bearing. With the rear wheels off the ground, either disconnect the driveshaft, or put the trans in neutral and make sure the pinion yoke moves pretty easily (there will be SOME preload)

brotherbenn83
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
As mentioned, you may want to check the hub seals for leakage. It may be necessary to pull the rear rotors to tell for sure if one or both are leaking since the hub of the rotor is basically a self-contained brake drum.

lilws6
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
That's my first plan of action. Then ill be pullin the cover got some new oil from work. And hopefully this is a cheap easy fix

Anakonda69
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
good luck with the cheap easy fix. take'em where you can get'em with a diesel. lol

lilws6
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Lol yea I know

Reverend Cooper
06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
i vote axle seal

lilws6
06-22-2010, 11:39 PM
i haven't been around as long as most of ya'll but ive never heard of an axle seal making noise? or causing a drag? maybe its just me :goof

WickedSix
06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
seal goes bad.....reservoir goes dry...bearings start rolling metal on metal.... heat builds...metal expands.....causes massive friction and noise....

but if it was only one wheel it'd likely make ur truck pull to one side.....

Did you pull the cover yet?

lilws6
06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Was goin to last night but didn't get around to it. Had issues at work and the gf's car so I went fishing instead. Ill pull it tonight tho.

lilws6
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
looks like the limited slip blew up. not so cheap i assume. got som pics not the greatest but you can see the piece thats broke.
i'll get them up soon any parts hook ups? i know i don't have this at work

lilws6
06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/baddiff.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/baddiff4.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/baddiff3.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/baddiff2.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/baddiff5.jpg

GTSLOW
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Take that thing back to wherever you bought it. It just sounds like this is one of many problems to come for this truck. Was the previous owners name Forest? I'd be willing to bet it was.

lilws6
06-23-2010, 08:26 PM
i'll be calling them tomarow i had a 3,000 mile 50/50 warranty but i'm not shure i want them to fix it if i can get the parts i'll do the damn thing my self but i'm really not feeling like dishing out a ton of money for something i just bought. they obviously didn't look in the diff the fluid was the worse i've ever smelled just horrid. looks like a few pieces are missing. its parked in the yard with no diff fluid in it. not going anywhere until i get an idea of what this is going to cost.

WickedSix
06-24-2010, 08:33 AM
ohh gov-bomb you strike again..... personally i'd replace it with a gear type locker... but if you want smooth actuation the friction type is the way to go... if you got a warranty use it and make sure they replace everything cus its hard to say where pieces found there way until you have it all apart...

lilws6
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
hell i don't care what kind of way it locks up it could be one wheel peel for all i car lol. a diff is just expensive

WickedSix
06-24-2010, 08:41 AM
you will absolutely fricase a tire with on open diff in a dmax :rolf

PonyKiller87
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
If your going to put an open diff in there you might as well throw a donut spare on the power tire while your at it.

juicedimpss
06-24-2010, 11:15 AM
i cant believe GM still uses that crappy ass style of differential locking.

lilws6
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Its a good design in theory. But the parts are too weak. I've got a blow up from the dealer with the list of parts I think I need ill scan it up later and maybe some one at a chevy dealer get me a hook up?

Anakonda69
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
tyler diff. seems to handle more then enough power thru it. gov locks are fine.

PonyKiller87
06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't try to just replace the broken parts, chances are stuff that didn't break took a beating too and is close to breaking.

The last 2 that I seen go out cracked the whole carrier in multiple places and bent or broke just about every part in there. The one in my old Z71 broke and jambed so bad that it bent the ends of the axles to the point that we couldn't get them out of the tube.

GTSLOW
06-24-2010, 06:46 PM
hell i don't care what kind of way it locks up it could be one wheel peel for all i car lol. a diff is just expensive

Ya I would not put an open diff on there. :stare

lilws6
06-25-2010, 07:54 AM
It would be fun with an open diff lol I was gana have the diff out last night but of course I couldn't find a 24mm socket anywhere so off to the hardware store today. Any more tools ill need?

PonyKiller87
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM
It would be fun with an open diff lol I was gana have the diff out last night but of course I couldn't find a 24mm socket anywhere so off to the hardware store today. Any more tools ill need?

Open diff in a big heavy truck isn't nearly as fun as in a car. In that truck when you get the 1 wheel peal it will just sit there and peal and hardly move the truck at all. It will be cool the first time or two you do it then you will get pissed off everytime your tryin to get somewhere and can't move because you keep smokin the tire. Oh and driving it in the rain will be a huge PITA.

lilws6
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I know :goof

WickedSix
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a 2.5 ton rockwell sitting in the driveway looking for a new home...it'll drop right in :rolf

wrath
06-25-2010, 05:13 PM
That truck would have a AAM 11.5" FF. One beefy axle. The Gov-Lock on that is giant.

In order to break a Gov-Lock of that size it was brutally abused. Since it's got an earlier Allison 1000 (before the updates that got you the 6th gear and manual gear selection in 2006) and I'm sure they didn't regularly change the spin-on filter it's about due for failure. I'd see about doing a full maintenance job on it. Or selling it.

lilws6
06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Well the diff is trashed. The case is grooved so not useable any more. The trans fluid is clean and new spin on filter.

xxtremeteam
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Well the diff is trashed. The case is grooved so not useable any more. The trans fluid is clean and new spin on filter.

I hope the dealer is eating some of this bill

lilws6
06-25-2010, 09:38 PM
i hope so as well its only been here for 2 weeks and not even 1000 miles i have a nice email to them if they don't cooperate then i'll start to get irrate right now i'm calm about it when i have to drop $800 easy on a new diff then i'll be getting irrate

lilws6
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/reallybaddiff2.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/reallybaddiff6.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/reallybaddiff4.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/reallybaddiff.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/the%20truck/reallybaddiff3.jpg

wrath
06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
A lot of one wheel peeling there, yo. The surfaces where the differential pinions got some good heat in 'em.

I'd consider getting an ARB for it. 52lbs of awesome.

BAD LS1
06-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Im working on an '05 2500HD with a gasser 6.0L doing 4.56's front and rear right now. The truck came with 4.10's to begin with, the carrier should work for you is its a 4.10 and lower series. It also came with the Gov lock. I can see if the owner of the truck would be willing to sell you the gov lock out of this truck to get you back up and going as im installing an eaton posi into it.

The rear thats in it is the 14 bolt , 10.5" full-floater, do you have the same setup?

WickedSix
06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
different axle if the carrier ur working on have the 5 bolt removable pinion support tom... to that point how come u didn't go with a thick gear instead of buying a whole new carrier?

lilws6
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I've got the 11.5 ring gear. I found a yukon helical posi diff for just shy of 800 would that hild up to some power the ads one is a bit expensive ide like to get one just can't afford it at the moment

-stew-
06-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Can I ask why you bought a 2wd 3/4 diesel that was modded?

lilws6
06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Didn't need a 4wd and I wanted a diesel. Price was right with low miles had no idea the diff was gana blow :goof really had no idea as to what was done to it until we began digin into it more. Its a clean truck with 80k on it I thought it was a good deal until the diff popped.

BAD LS1
06-27-2010, 07:33 AM
different axle if the carrier ur working on have the 5 bolt removable pinion support tom... to that point how come u didn't go with a thick gear instead of buying a whole new carrier?

Yeah it does have the 5 bolt pinion assembly. The guy bought all the parts for it, he wanted something that was a little more less willing to unlock in the middle of broad sliding it around corners i guess:rolf The rear gears i installed were the thick ring gear 4.56's with a 4.10 and down carrier. They were G2 gear sets front and rear the guy got for it.

I take it even his C truck uses that newer axle which looks more triangulated from the rear and had a large drain plug boss visible from behind too like i see 99% of d-max trucks with? It even has a fill plug in the cover too IIRC, like a Dana. Is that an AAM or a Dana unit or other?

lilws6
06-27-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=347 this is the diff.

lilws6
06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
just got off the phone with the dealer. hes going to call me back and see what they can set me up with. sounds like he wants to help by covering the diff witch would be awsome. i can slap the diff back in no problem. ive also been callign around getting qoutes from some salvage yards. lkq being the cheapest for a 90k mile diff at $800 if they'll buy me a diff i'll even go pick it up lol