PDA

View Full Version : Iphone update to v4.0

lit666
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
get it. 3GS users will love it. Multitasking FTMFW!!!

Myles
06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
get it. 3GS users will love it. Multitasking FTMFW!!!

http://www.courtneyhoskins.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

PureSound15
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Really? Is this going to be another "bash the iphone" thread?

I don't have 4.0 on mine yet - but I'll do it tonight.

jbiscuit
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
haven't grabbed it yet either but will later

michelle
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Really? Is this going to be another "bash the iphone" thread?

I don't have 4.0 on mine yet - but I'll do it tonight.

I just wanted to say that your sig pic looks really nice Ryan!

Myles
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Here is the thing ryan, its supposed to be a "smart phone".

Nokia and BlackBerry have had multiasking forever. And here, 3 (or 4?) phone generations and 4 OS updates later, the iPhone can finally do something that everything else has. It was touch screen, that was about all that it did that was "revolutionary".

So I gave him a facepalm for being excited about that.

Korndogg
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm going to start making threads every time there is a BB update.

PureSound15
06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Michele. JohnnyT took the pic!

I have never needed multi-tasking for anything. Maybe it's just because I didn't need it, but I hate having to stop all the pograms running on my work phone because it kills the battery.

I can do stuff while on the phone, and that's all I've ever needed to do?

srt4eh
06-21-2010, 07:59 PM
updating mine now :)

HITMAN
06-21-2010, 08:06 PM
HTC Evo 4g > than any Jesus phone.
"All your base are belong to us."

Karps TA
06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Downloading it now for my ITouch. Has some nice features it looks like.

xxtremeteam
06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
updated my iphone looks way nicer than old version

Doc Brown
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
X2 :headbang :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Except for the fact that the battery life sucks... ask me how I know.

HITMAN
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Except for the fact that the battery life sucks... ask me how I know.

Eh, to me the battery life sucks on all these things. That's why I have a mobile charger in my vehicle and in a couple of spots in the house.

Ricky Bobby
06-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Eh, to me the battery life sucks on all these things. That's why I have a mobile charger in my vehicle and in a couple of spots in the house.

this :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
06-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Playing around to see if I can get it better on mine. However I will say this, my 2 year old iPhone to the day I stopped my service was able to get between 1 and 2 days with moderate data use and not even trying to conserve my battery life.

For whatever reason my EVO has yet to make it over maybe 16 hours and that is with me trying to use it as little as possible. I left for GLD at maybe 10am on Sunday with around 70% battery left, took one video of Jim's car and went on the net for about 5 minutes and it was dead by 2am... The damn thing will loose like half of its battery life just sitting on my night stand while I sleep if I forget to plug it in :crying

With that said, I am trying to track down exactly what is using the battery and I am hoping I can get some better results out of it. Because I will say the EVO does have a TON of capability and functionality wise IMO does have a leg up on the iPhone (4 included).

jbiscuit
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
iOS 4 is running smooth on my 3g

BlackLightning
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM

How is your service with sprint and the evo? I really like the evo but keep hearing sprint coverage blows around here so I have been hesitant to switch from verizon.

NachoNotch
06-22-2010, 01:17 AM
X2:thumbsup

Korndogg
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
How is your service with sprint and the evo? I really like the evo but keep hearing sprint coverage blows around here so I have been hesitant to switch from verizon.

Do you travel outside of the city at all? Because the reason I got away from sprint was if you go up north or somewhere away from a city, you won't get reception.

Fondy13
06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
updated my Ipod Touch 3G to the OS4. best part I like is you can hold a crap ton of more apps.

GRM-REPR
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Don't even bother to waste your hard earned money or your patience. You will run out of it very fast. PM sent

Jon

HP ADDICT
06-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Im just going to ride mine out until I get my new iphone on thurs.

GRM-REPR
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Do you travel outside of the city at all? Because the reason I got away from sprint was if you go up north or somewhere away from a city, you won't get reception.

I hear that! I'm dumping them in July. I'm in Waukesha with ass reception. Horrible billing issues every single month, momo's working the phones in service and I went through two phones in less than a year.

www.complaintsboard.com (search Sprint). Ouch....

(For others that have sprint with no issues, thank God for that).

Didn't mean to crap on this thread....:durr

Josepy
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I hear that! I'm dumping them in July. I'm in Waukesha with ass reception. Horrible billing issues every single month, momo's working the phones in service and I went through two phones in less than a year.

www.complaintsboard.com (search Sprint). Ouch....

(For others that have sprint with no issues, thank God for that).

Didn't mean to crap on this thread....:durr

I went through the same shit with sprint years ago. I can see they have not changed.

badass88gt
06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
OK so I downloaded the 4.0 update but I'm confused, the multitasking thing? I see I can open the YouTube app, load a video, go out and answer a text and go back in and resume the video, but it doesnt work with Quicktime videos like the ifap site (lol).

What other multitasking WILL it do? I have the UNO! game, I cant leave the game and answer a text without having to start the game over, not finding much multitasking here?

Korndogg
06-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah I had Nextel for years and as soon as Sprint bought them, it went downhill so fast it was unbelievable.

GRM-REPR
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah I had Nextel for years and as soon as Sprint bought them, it went downhill so fast it was unbelievable.

I got a good referral to them from (obviously one of very few) people that had a good experience (until they had their $39.99 unlimited everything plan yanked) and they went to At&t now, with no complaints.

Granted everyone has complaints with a service but as far as Sprint goes (for a smaller provider) they sure do suck balls and have countless complaints against them.

GRM-REPR
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I went through the same shit with sprint years ago. I can see they have not changed.

Take what you experienced when you had them and you can multiply it and square that. They are just incredibly terrible as a business. :chair:

British_Ben
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
OK so I downloaded the 4.0 update but I'm confused, the multitasking thing? I see I can open the YouTube app, load a video, go out and answer a text and go back in and resume the video, but it doesnt work with Quicktime videos like the ifap site (lol).

What other multitasking WILL it do? I have the UNO! game, I cant leave the game and answer a text without having to start the game over, not finding much multitasking here?

From the little I've read about this update (I'm a Black Berry user). Multitasking has to be programmed into the apps. So, now that the iPhone supports it, the programmers of the apps will start programming their apps not to shut down when you leave them for something else.

Moparjim
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Iphone lol. The current, let alone the new Droid phones make it look like a paperweight in comparison. Without a doubt, the Iphone was revolutionary and awesome... 2 years ago. Its time to move on and get over the Apple brainwashing people.

http://www.nerd-news.com/2010/05/is-android-20-making-apple-say-uh.html

badass88gt
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Go figure, someone has to bring up the Droid in an iPhone thread. Newsflash: nobody gives a shit how great your droid is in this thread. Yes, the droid is a good phone but this thread is about the new software for iPhone, nobody asked for a comparison of iPhone vs. Droid...

Myles
06-24-2010, 12:34 PM
From the little I've read about this update (I'm a Black Berry user). Multitasking has to be programmed into the apps. So, now that the iPhone supports it, the programmers of the apps will start programming their apps not to shut down when you leave them for something else.

what is this.. I don't even

Moparjim
06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Go figure, someone has to bring up the Droid in an iPhone thread. Newsflash: nobody gives a shit how great your droid is in this thread. Yes, the droid is a good phone but this thread is about the new software for iPhone, nobody asked for a comparison of iPhone vs. Droid...

Sounds like someone has a long time left on their contract ;)

Myles
06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
I will just leave this here...

http://crackberry.com/new-ios4-creates-features-blackberry-always-had

PureSound15
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
And how long did it take Blackberry to add a camera? (All "reasoning" aside)

I don't understand the point of arguing which phone is better. Allison has a Droid phone and I hate it - too much effort to find what I want. I had a blackberry curve before which was a piece of shit and physically felt like junk. I have a Curve 2 for work now and it's better - but still has quirks & and I don't like the screen.

I'm am so use to my Iphone and like OS4 that I have no interest in another phone. I never had a need for multitasking, a digital zoom, folders or threaded email.

It's a Chevy vs Ford debate. It gets just as old, just as fast.

Myles
06-24-2010, 04:53 PM
And how long did it take Blackberry to add a camera? (All "reasoning" aside)

I don't understand the point of arguing which phone is better. Allison has a Droid phone and I hate it - too much effort to find what I want. I had a blackberry curve before which was a piece of shit and physically felt like junk. I have a Curve 2 for work now and it's better - but still has quirks & and I don't like the screen.

I'm am so use to my Iphone and like OS4 that I have no interest in another phone. I never had a need for multitasking, a digital zoom, folders or threaded email.

It's a Chevy vs Ford debate. It gets just as old, just as fast.

The BlackBerry's first camera-phone was the 8100, which came out in 2006, the iPhone came out in 07. It was the second of their "Consumer" models. Phones that were not strictly advertised to businesses.

Ryan the real reason you don't care is because you aren't into tech. You use it cause you think its cool. Sweet more power to you. Doesn't change the fact that everyone is clamoring on how excellent the phone is when it DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. This is more akin to a PC vs Mac debate. A Ford vs Chevy debate isn't as similar as you think.

When you first bought an iPhone you basically bought a phone that doesn't do anything except surf the web and does cool things with pictures. Then they slowly added other features that other phones had forever and everyone thought it was ground breaking.

Now what do you have? A phone that has a fuck ton of useless apps and finally has 90's tech in it. It also now feeds you ads.

Also you droid fucks, just wait till your phones get hacked and all your shit stolen. Happened to a co worker already. Thank Google, an ADVERTISING COMPANY, for that.

PureSound15
06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
The BlackBerry's first camera-phone was the 8100, which came out in 2006, the iPhone came out in 07. It was the second of their "Consumer" models. Phones that were not strictly advertised to businesses.

Ryan the real reason you don't care is because you aren't into tech. You use it cause you think its cool. Sweet more power to you. Doesn't change the fact that everyone is clamoring on how excellent the phone is when it DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

So, the curve was the first phone that had a camera - RIM created that phone to serve the consumer market and expand beyond the government oriented contracts it thrived on before that.

My point is only that - how many people are into tech? How many people want a phone that can do things their PCs cant do? A very niche market.

I think the techi group gets upset about the popularity of the Iphone because they do exactly what a large portion of the market wants - and thats it.

It's just like when a non-car person sees a v6 camaro and says "Oh it's so pretty!" but to us car people we just think "But... it's a v6." They created the product because people want it.

SO - that's my frustration. "Mindwashed" and comments like people being upset their contract isn't up seem very close minded to me. Certainly there are those that would buy anything Jobs created, but the masses just want what works and what works well.

WhatsADSM
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Fwiw I first purchased the iphone 2 years ago because it was technologicaly the most advanced for what I wanted to do. The fact that it had a phenomenal user interface and was "cool" to carry around was just an added benefit.

Fast forward 2 years and now I have the Evo4g. Again it technologically is the best phone out there for me. IMO Apple no longer has the technological edge HOWEVER none of the other phones provide the same ease of use or simplicity that the Apple does.

So for me, someone that is more tech savy and is willing to loose a little simplicity and polished-ness for added functionality the Evo works, but for someone like my wife (or the vast majority of the public) the iPhone is still king.

badass88gt
06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Sounds like someone has a long time left on their contract ;)

Actually, yeah, I just signed one in January because Verizon isnt available here and I didnt care for the feel of the Droid over the iPhone.

The contract length has nothing to do with my previous post, its just get annoying when all the Droid fanboys always run their mouth any time someone mentions the iPhone. Pet peeve I guess...

Z28Envy
06-24-2010, 11:52 PM
I am not a tech kind of guy I guess so I am wondering why the iphone and Droid are so great? I'm not trying to start anything I am really just curious. I just got a new blackberry about 4 month's ago and I do enjoy it because I like the ease of getting email and it is nice to check the web. Although living up here in the sticks can be hit or miss on the 3g service so the web can suck at times. I have the blackberry 8530 with the wifi and its pretty fast at home with the wireless but even then I will go on the laptop or pc to go on the web so I don't use it that much at all.

Why did you by your iphone or Droid I guess I'm asking? Is it way faster on the web or what is the appeal? Maybe I need to go in and try one out. I did hold a Droid when I was getting y blackberry and it was heavy is all I remember but it had a rubber case on it so that might be why it was heavy.

CPonyGo
06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I had the iphone 32gs and loved it...still like it but where I travel for work in se wis the connectivity was border line suicidal for me...lol.. I bought a EVO from Sprint based on the coverage from a friends phone working with me in the same locations(and he is from Green Bay)..I have 3g service where I want and need it most. I have cool apps to keep me happy...and I can surf...

Both phones have their uses based on the owners particular needs....iPhone did not work for me as I need it..the Evo does...

so to further steal thunder I have a 32gs for sale with a battery pack case...extras..

oh and the battery on my Evo compliments the iPhone...both have/had car chargers and go on the charger every night so its a push as far as I am concerned...

srt4eh
06-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I love my iphone 4 and it does everything I want. Plus...AT&T has great service down here whereas Verizon has none...

Doc Brown
06-26-2010, 07:49 AM
I am not a tech kind of guy I guess so I am wondering why the iphone and Droid are so great? I'm not trying to start anything I am really just curious. I just got a new blackberry about 4 month's ago and I do enjoy it because I like the ease of getting email and it is nice to check the web. Although living up here in the sticks can be hit or miss on the 3g service so the web can suck at times. I have the blackberry 8530 with the wifi and its pretty fast at home with the wireless but even then I will go on the laptop or pc to go on the web so I don't use it that much at all.
in short, the HTC Evo 4G (running on Droid) does just about everything other than wipe one's ass after using the toilet. And while the new iPhone in it's own right is very impressive, there are important differences; most notably, Droid-based smartphones allow for complete customization by their owners, a feature that Apple does not allow.

Karps TA
07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
So anybody else want thier old OS back after having OS4.0 for a couple weeks?

The negatives are outweighing the positives for me right now. My ITouch is slower, apps keep crashing, I get messages about low memory all the time and constantly have to reboot. It's not like I'm using this for real intense stuff. Weather, FB, and Twitter mostly.

I feel like Bill Gates designed this OS.

PureSound15
07-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I didn't have any problems for 4.0 on my 3gs, it's even better on my 4 though.

jbiscuit
07-15-2010, 09:25 AM
It's running real slow on my 3G iPhone. Apps don't crash too much or at least not more than before. Just really slow to load certain apps and doesn like to display the weather channel app maps etc. Just really buggy overall

Myles
07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I feel like Bill Gates designed this OS.

If gates designed it he would have built a no frills get the job done OS. If gates current employees built the OS, it would be filled with shit that the users want, but most of them are too stupid to find, if it was built by the xp era guys, it would just brick.

88Nightmare
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
It's running real slow on my 3G iPhone. Apps don't crash too much or at least not more than before. Just really slow to load certain apps and doesn like to display the weather channel app maps etc. Just really buggy overall

I actually thought the opposite. Before the iOS4 update, my weather channel app was slower on my 3G.

ThatWhiteCivic
07-15-2010, 01:24 PM
updated and it's wayyy slower then before :(

British_Ben
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I just read on engadget that there is an update for iOS4 to version 4.0.1. The update "improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display." This is obviously only going to affect iPhone4 users.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/ios-4-0-1-hitting-iphones-right-this-second/

Josepy
07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Boss's daughters both have 3'gs. They updated to the new OS and both phone are running slower and just freeze up and or crash at random now.

jbiscuit
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
crashes are becoming more and more "normal" on the iOS4. Was running it smooth and nice at first but not anymore. Its really buggy and for sure a lot slower than the iOS3 was. Will kick me out of Facebook at least 2-3 times and don't even try to post from the phone LOL. I don't even bother trying to use the Weather Channel app anymore. Won't load even the 10-day anymore. And what's sad is my wife's iPhone is even slower than mine on the iOS 4

Josepy
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
crashes are becoming more and more "normal" on the iOS4. Was running it smooth and nice at first but not anymore. Its really buggy and for sure a lot slower than the iOS3 was. Will kick me out of Facebook at least 2-3 times and don't even try to post from the phone LOL. I don't even bother trying to use the Weather Channel app anymore. Won't load even the 10-day anymore. And what's sad is my wife's iPhone is even slower than mine on the iOS 4

Kind of what I have been hearing from most people now. Worked fine at first and then takes a shit.

drewbird91
07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Kind of what I have been hearing from most people now. Worked fine at first and then takes a shit.
Same here, I have a 3GS and I get kicked out of crap all the time now.

Josepy
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I havent looked but is there way to go back to the old OS?

jbiscuit
07-20-2010, 01:09 PM
maybe a fresh restore on the phone? IE wipe it clean and reinstall everything

GRM-REPR
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I just read on engadget that there is an update for iOS4 to version 4.0.1. The update "improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display." This is obviously only going to affect iPhone4 users.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/ios-4-0-1-hitting-iphones-right-this-second/

4.0.1 just came out and I downloaded it to my 8 gig 3GS, it's not just an iPhone 4 DL. (Got the new 8gig 3GS because I don't store tunes on it, have an mp3 player already, so I didn't need more gigs).

I have had absolutely no problems with mine. Everything works lightning fast as well and even faster with wifi.

Sorry to hear many people are having problems with theirs. Maybe the new line of 8 gig 3GS's are fine because of a factory program??

badass88gt
07-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I have a 32 gig 3GS and it's been crashing and freezing up more and more lately....

PureSound15
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I have the firmware update and don't have any problems :confused