PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a 1973 cutlass 442 need input

z28 man
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
hy guys i found in my town a guy selling a 1973 cutlass 442. i dont know what the car is worth i called the guy and i asked him what he wants for the car and he said make me an offer. the car is pretty rust free but there is a little on the lower front fender the car need a paint job bad, he did put a cultch in it 2 years ago and also put new gaskets in the motor its a 350 rocket and yes a 4 speed. the interior needs work to. and i think there is a small amout of bond in the car but it does have some potential. let me know what you guys think i was thinking 3000

z28 man
06-22-2010, 08:09 AM
bump

Prince Valiant
06-22-2010, 08:49 AM
That's a tough one...I'd perhaps PM LEWETHETIGER73 for his input since he has one of these colonnade A-bodies and likely can give you a good idea of what you're looking at, general worth, and what potentially you could end up with.

I don't follow these style cars too closely, though I actually think they are pretty neat...on first glance, it sounds like you're overbidding by at least 500 though.

z28 man
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
thanks much i sent him a pm i also think its a neat looking car thats why i was thinking about seling my 4th gen for it

LEWETHETIGER73
06-23-2010, 06:19 AM
You should also check out this site

http://users.boardnation.com/~abodysite/index.php

pjturkey
06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
hy guys i found in my town a guy selling a 1973 cutlass 442. i dont know what the car is worth i called the guy and i asked him what he wants for the car and he said make me an offer. the car is pretty rust free but there is a little on the lower front fender the car need a paint job bad, he did put a cultch in it 2 years ago and also put new gaskets in the motor its a 350 rocket and yes a 4 speed. the interior needs work to. and i think there is a small amout of bond in the car but it does have some potential. let me know what you guys think i was thinking 3000

73-74 442's don't usually bring a ton of dough.....That being said, it's really cool that it's a 4-speed....73 was the last year for that. Find out the casting on the block (it's on the flat spot near the front oil fill tube.....it MAY be a 455. It's a possibility because certain 455 engine options in '73 ONLY came with 4-speeds. If it is a big block don't tell him ;-)

Also, look on the lower foward corner of the heads. You should see a Letter or Number. a LETTER (A, B C....) means BIG BLOCK, a Number--small block.

Oh, and please don't put a chevy motor in it ;-)

BadAzzGTA89
06-23-2010, 09:18 PM
73-74 442's don't usually bring a ton of dough.....That being said, it's really cool that it's a 4-speed....73 was the last year for that. Find out the casting on the block (it's on the flat spot near the front oil fill tube.....it MAY be a 455. It's a possibility because certain 455 engine options in '73 ONLY came with 4-speeds. If it is a big block don't tell him ;-)

Also, look on the lower foward corner of the heads. You should see a Letter or Number. a LETTER (A, B C....) means BIG BLOCK, a Number--small block.

Oh, and please don't put a chevy motor in it ;-)
Prolly a rocket 350!
But make sure to see if the trunk is solid and the rear quarters over the wheels they like to rust there!!!!

pjturkey
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Prolly a rocket 350!
But make sure to see if the trunk is solid and the rear quarters over the wheels they like to rust there!!!!

I figured it was a smallblock, but the 4-speed combo made me wonder tho. Get some #5 or #7 Heads, some form of dual plane aluminum intake, alittle gear, and you should be able to beat up on some Foxbody Mustangs and Camaros :-)

blown383z28
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Ill give you 2500 for your 4th gen... then you can go buy that car...!