PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mowing Hours

DirtyMax
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I tried searching but got lazy.

I realize there are certain "unspoken rules" about how early you should or shouldn't cut your grass. I, for one, would never fire the mower up before 10AM at the very earliest...

That being said... are their actually any laws about this, particularly in the City of Milwaukee?

The last 2 Fridays, the next door neighbor has fired her mower up at 8AM and 7:30AM respectively.

I work Thursday nights and usually don't get home until 3:30AM so needless to say, being woken up by a mower outside my BR window is not a welcome thing 4 hours after i go to sleep!!!

She's an elderly woman living alone and I plan on being as nice as I can but before I approach her about this situation, I just want to know if I have a leg to stand on legally.

PureSound15
06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't know.. I cut my grass at 8 AM. It's already been light out and I've been awake for 3 hours, I'll cut it on my schedule.

I understand your point, though.

British_Ben
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
There's a guy by my house that cuts his lawn at 8-8:30 am on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I realize that getting it done early might be convenient for him, but I'm going to go into a fit of rage one of these weekend mornings. I'm also interested if such a law exists.

WickedSix
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
i thought quiet hours were 11-7 but i can't seem to find that documented anywhere....

fly5150
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
I dont see a problem with 8am on a weekday. I usually wait until at least 9am on the weekends.

Karps TA
06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I dont see a problem with 8am on a weekday. I usually wait until at least 9am on the weekends.

I follow this.

Feature Pony
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
When I was on MPD, I thought it was 10pm-7am was the quiet hours

STANMAN
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't know.. I cut my grass at 8 AM. It's already been light out and I've been awake for 3 hours, I'll cut it on my schedule.

I understand your point, though.

That's like a 2nd shifter saying "Well, I have floodlights, and at 2am I have been home for 3 hours, I will cut it on my schedule".

I think 9am is reasonable. I could care less though, I have a 20 month old who's up with the morning sun:rolf There is a guy in our neighborhood who cuts his at about 7:30am on the weekends, I am sure he's not on a lot of peoples Christmas list because of it.

0TransAm0
06-17-2010, 06:43 PM
eh i have seen the lawn company's cutting the grass at 7am all the time on my way to work. i don't think there is a "law" for it but you could go talk to her and tell her that you work late and what not and ask her to not cut it so early...

STANMAN
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
eh i have seen the lawn company's cutting the grass at 7am all the time on my way to work. i don't think there is a "law" for it but you could go talk to her and tell her that you work late and what not and ask her to not cut it so early...

In area's zoned residential or industrial? I doubt there's any law in industrial zoned area's.

Car Guy
06-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I did a quick search and found this, if anything call the number(s) listed.....

http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/router.asp?docid=3710

0TransAm0
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
In area's zoned residential or industrial? I doubt there's any law in industrial zoned area's.

Both, just this morning at a house on my way to work. and right behind my house(my yard connects to midland container's property) in the franksville industrial park. plenty of lawn to be cut there as well, and they have been out there before 8am on many occasions.

Yooformula
06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
not to be a dick but in the winter after a big snow storm, do you get annoyed when they use the snow blower at 6am to get their cars out for work?

I would politely ask her to not cut so early on a friday am and explain to her that you work nights.

Plum Crazy
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I cut my grass every Wed. at 9:30 at the earliest. I know the guy next door works 2nd shift, so the later the better.

0TransAm0
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
not to be a dick but in the winter after a big snow storm, do you get annoyed when they use the snow blower at 6am to get their cars out for work?

I would politely ask her to not cut so early on a friday am and explain to her that you work nights.

THIS!
i was woke up from the damn bobcat's plowing the parking lot at 3am many times when i lived in the condo...

Plum Crazy
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Snow blowers are a different story in my book. You need to shovel/snowblow, cutting the grass isnt going to keep anybody from getting around safely.

MoCkiN U
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I would leave her alone. The heat and humidity is not really good on elderly so they get out earlier to avoid it. Hell at least its getting cut. I understand your sleep and all but what can ya do?

If was younger person I would ask but older peeps I let be

Memphis
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
mow the lawn? :rolf

wikked
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
When I did landscaping, we were on the road by 7am, and cutting residentials and business by 7:30.

It's first shift, but outdoors, what are you gonna do :P

Dasred
06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
If you really want it done at a later time, and she's really that old of a lady, maybe you could mow it for her? On your schedule?
Could be an option and get you some neighborhood points.

pOrk
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Most people work 1st shift, when i worked 3rd I didn't like it either but what can you do?

I mow early sunday mornings, 7-8 ish.

DirtyMax
06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input. It just seemed a little early IMO but if there's no law against it, I'll just deal.

And funny you mention the snow Yoo because I do her driveway and sidewalk for her 90% of the time.

It's not a huge deal because I am usually up (or supposed to be anyways, LOL) around then anyways but the past few weeks, it's been a rather shocking eye opener...

CobaltSSTuner
06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I use to work for a landscaping comany. It's 7am to 8pm

Lash
06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Most people like to cut their grass as early as possible to avoid the heat. Sometimes by 10am it's getting pretty damn hot out already.

Silver350
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Heck the Jag off that lives accross the street from me will snow blow at 2:30am. For lawn mowing when I use to do it I tried not to do it before 9am.

pOrk
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Heck the Jag off that lives accross the street from me will snow blow at 2:30am. For lawn mowing when I use to do it I tried not to do it before 9am.

lol, maybe he leaves for work at 4? I don't have a snow blower so I shovel, but I leave at 5 and shovel much earlier and my shovel makes a hell of a lot of noise. Too bad soo sad, gotta get out of the driveway:thumbsup