PDA

View Full Version : 98 Silverado No start.

Sprayaway Fox
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
It turns over but doesnt start. I didnt have spark so I replaced the crank sensor. Now I got spark. Fuel pump goes on when keyed.

Truck had peices of the gear taken out of the flywheel. Owner parked it and now doesnt start.

Im lookin at snagging this thing but I need it running first lol.

Any insight?

lilws6
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
spray fluid in the throttle body does it start?

Sprayaway Fox
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Were replacin the flywheel cause its has some chunks out of it tomorrow.

We will try starting fluid tomorrow if it doesnt start like it should.

My TBI old schoolso kinda stupid on this crank trigger stuff

Somebody told me I need to get the computer reflashed, is this true? I just replaced the sensor nothing more.

lilws6
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
for a crank snesor? pretty shure it doesn't need to be reflashed. but i could be wrong

juicedimpss
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
did someone have the distributor out at any time while it didnt have spark? makes you wonder if they put it back where it is supposed to be,especially if it knocked teeth off of the flexplate

brotherbenn83
06-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Pull the distributor cap off and check for water contamination (green or white build-up/signs of arcing) This is a pretty common issue, I just replaced a cap and rotor on a 97 Express van for the same thing this morning. Sometimes when they misfire/arc during cranking it can try and rotate the flywheel backwards, which is probably what caused your broken flywheel teeth... make sure the starter drive gear did not get damaged also.

Sprayaway Fox
06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
He replaced the intake gaskets in it. Im really thinking that the dizzy is off somehow. I advanced a BBC and took out teeth on the ringgear a while back and it kinda has the same symtoms as that.

Can I just turn the dizzy back a lil like an old school HEI or no?

Is it the same as a regular SBC get numba one slug on TDC and then get it past the #1 plug a lil and fire it up?

How do you set the timing in these things? Is it easy or you need a diagnostic setup?

BAD LS1
06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
IIRC the vortec truck Dist body drops into an certain positon but its still up to the guy putting it in to get the rotor pointing at # 1 with #1 at TDC.

Sprayaway Fox
06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
IIRC the vortec truck Dist body drops into an certain positon but its still up to the guy putting it in to get the rotor pointing at # 1 with #1 at TDC.

Thanks. Just replaced the flywheel tonight. Going to take the dizzy out tomorrow. Truck was a running truck after he did the intake gaskets. Then the flywheel fugged up and now just trying to pin down WTF is going on with no diagnostic shit is really stupid on my part but its in the middle of nowhere. Jus trying to get it running to get to a different shop.

Theres a shop nearby and they wouldnt even touch it....Thanks guys for all you advice.:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Sprayaway Fox
06-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Pull the distributor cap off and check for water contamination (green or white build-up/signs of arcing) This is a pretty common issue, I just replaced a cap and rotor on a 97 Express van for the same thing this morning. Sometimes when they misfire/arc during cranking it can try and rotate the flywheel backwards, which is probably what caused your broken flywheel teeth... make sure the starter drive gear did not get damaged also.

BINGO! Thanks for the help guys:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:headbang: banana

brotherbenn83
06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I rule!