PDA

View Full Version : Looking to become a POC Fire Fighter, need FF1 cert. help.

Firefighter Z
06-14-2010, 11:42 AM
To the current Fire Fighters or those that are currently in schooling for fire fighting... What classes would I have to take to obtain a Fire Fighters 1 Certification?

I have the oppritunity to become a P.O.C. but I need to get a FF1. The department would train me and pay for my schooling if I decide to take the position.

Thanks

xxtremeteam
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I think the class is just called fire 1 and matc offers it

Firefighter Z
06-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I tried looking for it but I cant find it. All I see is Fire Protection Technician... I wonder if this is what they're calling the classes now?

xxtremeteam
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
hmmm no idea i took it like 5yrs ago

Firefighter Z
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm going to have to look on my computer when I get home...
I know it's 60 hours needed but just need to find the right classes

subliminal1284
06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Josh if you decide to take the EMT course also let me know and I can help you out, Its a pretty easy course. FF1 is even easier than EMT just remmeber to put the wet stuff on the red stuff.

Firefighter Z
06-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Ya I'll be looking into doing the EMT course also. It was suggested by the FD, so most likely will need your help Nate.

ND4SPD
06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
There's also more to getting your Fire I certification than just taking the class. Unless they changed it, it usually involves a registry test which at least when I took it wasn't exactly a cake walk. So the department wants you to get your certs first? They won't take you on and send you through? Boy have things changed in 13 years.

Firefighter Z
06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
The Department will take me on, pay for my schooling (FF1 classes and EMT classes) and let me be on the department at the same time.

xxtremeteam
06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I assume they will find you the classes then to and then all you have to do is show up

70 cutlass 442
06-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I just went through FF1 this spring.... You will not find FF1 on the roster or in the schedule's like you would normal classes. Its usually your dept that you are affiliated with that will take care of getting you into a class. You almost have to do nothing but tell youe chief what days you are available to take the class and depending on what tech school you, they should have something....

If you want to take it on your own, most the time you have to call the dean of the fire program and talk with them. The class is suppose to be reserved for members, so it does take a bit of work if you are not yet affiliated with a dept.

BTW, what dept are you looking at getting on?

Firefighter Z
06-15-2010, 12:36 AM
I just went through FF1 this spring.... You will not find FF1 on the roster or in the schedule's like you would normal classes. Its usually your dept that you are affiliated with that will take care of getting you into a class. You almost have to do nothing but tell youe chief what days you are available to take the class and depending on what tech school you, they should have something....

If you want to take it on your own, most the time you have to call the dean of the fire program and talk with them. The class is suppose to be reserved for members, so it does take a bit of work if you are not yet affiliated with a dept.

BTW, what dept are you looking at getting on?

You have a PM

Well then that sounds easy enough... We'll see how this plays out.

70 cutlass 442
06-15-2010, 01:10 AM
You have a PM

Well then that sounds easy enough... We'll see how this plays out.

PM back

There's also more to getting your Fire I certification than just taking the class. Unless they changed it, it usually involves a registry test which at least when I took it wasn't exactly a cake walk. So the department wants you to get your certs first? They won't take you on and send you through? Boy have things changed in 13 years.

Things have changed a lot, FF1 is not what im sure it was when you went through it... we saw fire three times in class, I physically extinguished one fire with a hose line. There were some who didnt even get to do that. We have 24 hours of hazmat training that will never be used that could easily have been replaced with live burns. Our practical didnt have any ropes or knots, which we spent three weeks on. the written portion was a bit more difficult then most of us expected, lots of mechanically inclined questions along with fire behavior stuff. All said and done, it was a lot of fun, but the curriculum really should be re-evaluated, at least the practical portion. When have the class hasn't handled a hose line it real fire conditions, how do you think they will do on the fireground?

Firefighter Z
06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Well at least I wouldn't have to worry about handling a fire hose...

When I worked for KEI, they got themselves a pumper truck that flowed just as a fire truck pumper did, I was assigned to the rig and it had a fire hose on it. For my size I handled the fire hose like a pro, others thought it was easy to handle and that's when I learned to stay away from them when they operated it... That shit hurts when its on full blast! LOL

BTW: Now I'm just waiting for the green light now.