PDA

View Full Version : TMJ4 story on gun carrier getting robbed

moels
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Thought this would be an anti carry story, but in the end it actually supports CC and OC. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

lordairgtar
06-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Ballsy of the robber to rob him, but it also shows this victim realized it would be dangerous in his instance to use his weapon. Smart choice. Proves CC and OC proponents aren't trigger happy cowboys with a John Wayne or Dirty Harry complex.

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 01:25 AM
"I'm gonna show everybody what a rebel I am by freaking them out by carrying a gun in the open. It's legal and it's my right." Yeah, except when some creep decides he needs a second gun he gets the drop on you. Now you're out one gun, there's another illegally obtained weapon floating around on the street and gun owners get another black eye in the news. Duh. This is why open carry is stupid and I wish the fuck the people that do it would please stop. This OC crap hasn't stopped being in the news since J. B. Van Hollen issued his statement. All these clowns are going to end up making it harder to get a legitimate CCW law in place once the political climate changes in this state. This ain't Texas or Arizona and people aren't used to seeing the average citizen walking around with a gat on his hip. It freaks Joe Six-Pack out, it keeps it in an unfavorable light in the news and in public opinion and it ultimately makes you a target, so knock it the fuck off.

70 cutlass 442
06-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Id like to know the details, did the robber pull a gun on him and rob him, or was this guy just a pussy and not want to unholster is gun?

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Id like to know the details, did the robber pull a gun on him and rob him, or was this guy just a pussy and not want to unholster is gun?

Either way, the crook ended up with his cash and his gun, so really, what difference does it make?

70 cutlass 442
06-13-2010, 02:31 AM
the difference is this guy must have not done something right while he was getting robbed. Maybe he was no confident in handling his own gun which is why he didn't draw it... if thats the case then I would be worried that a incompetent person is legally carrying a gun around...

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 02:49 AM
the difference is this guy must have not done something right while he was getting robbed. Maybe he was no confident in handling his own gun which is why he didn't draw it... if thats the case then I would be worried that a incompetent person is legally carrying a gun around...

I don't give damned if your carrying a gun or not, if somebody comes up and gets the drop on you, unless you're Ed McGivern or Bob Munden you're probably not going to get your gun out fast enough to keep a determined crook from shooting you before your clear your holster. Are you willing to gamble your life for the cash in your wallet on the chance that the criminal might be bluffing about shooting you?

pjturkey
06-13-2010, 03:53 AM
That's why it should be legal to shoot the crook in the back while he's running away with your stuff. Seriously. Judge, jury, and executioner. After having my garage broken into several times, I must say it would be more fun to use a non-lethal projectile (like a bean-bag shotshell) to break all his ribs and watch him writhe in pain on the ground....that would bring a grin to my face.

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 04:53 AM
That's why it should be legal to shoot the crook in the back while he's running away with your stuff. Seriously. Judge, jury, and executioner. After having my garage broken into several times, I must say it would be more fun to use a non-lethal projectile (like a bean-bag shotshell) to break all his ribs and watch him writhe in pain on the ground....that would bring a grin to my face.

Ah, but if you are carrying your piece right out in the open, the perp is most likely going to relieve you of it. Then you can just hurl insults at his back. :thumbsup

moels
06-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Hmmm, I read the story again and it never says what the robber stole from the guy. You'd think if the robber took the guys gun, they would have included that little tidbit.

pjturkey
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Ah, but if you are carrying your piece right out in the open, the perp is most likely going to relieve you of it. Then you can just hurl insults at his back. :thumbsup

I wasn't defending open carry, I just want it to be open hunting season on worthless pieces of shit :)

emptypockets
06-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Proves that you need to be willing to use it, not just carry it.

fivonut
06-13-2010, 10:56 AM
"I'm gonna show everybody what a rebel I am by freaking them out by carrying a gun in the open. It's legal and it's my right." Yeah, except when some creep decides he needs a second gun he gets the drop on you. Now you're out one gun, there's another illegally obtained weapon floating around on the street and gun owners get another black eye in the news. Duh. This is why open carry is stupid and I wish the fuck the people that do it would please stop. This OC crap hasn't stopped being in the news since J. B. Van Hollen issued his statement. All these clowns are going to end up making it harder to get a legitimate CCW law in place once the political climate changes in this state. This ain't Texas or Arizona and people aren't used to seeing the average citizen walking around with a gat on his hip. It freaks Joe Six-Pack out, it keeps it in an unfavorable light in the news and in public opinion and it ultimately makes you a target, so knock it the fuck off.

It's not about being a rebel. It's about excercising your right to self protection and it's about a push for concealed carry. You're right the sheeple of this state aren't accustomed to seeing a gun in the open. But, by openly carrying and pushing thier buttons the ground work is being laid for a concealed carry arguement. I believe thats why JB Van Hollen issued the statement he issued. He wants concealed carry as much as the rest of us and he knows that this open carry issue is going to push the right buttons to get a concealed law moving and articles like these are exactly the kind of press we need to get it there.

It sux a law abiding citizen lost his weapon and another weapon in on the street, but to make an omlette...

Silver350
06-13-2010, 11:08 AM
If someone wants to open carry that is there own right and they should be able to. However I do not belive in it. I always thought if you would open carry you could become a target to a street thug who is concealing a weapon. You probably wouldnt pick out that the thug has a weapon untill it is too late and I am guessing that this is the case here.

Rocket Power
06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree, OC makes you a target, they know ahead of time you have a gun. CCW FTW

Al
06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
The argument could be: if it was concealed, it might not have been stolen.

70 cutlass 442
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't give damned if your carrying a gun or not, if somebody comes up and gets the drop on you, unless you're Ed McGivern or Bob Munden you're probably not going to get your gun out fast enough to keep a determined crook from shooting you before your clear your holster. Are you willing to gamble your life for the cash in your wallet on the chance that the criminal might be bluffing about shooting you?

i never said anything like that, the article doesn't give any details on what happened, for all you know it could have been a troop of girl scouts that held this guy up with a dull box cutter and a stick... I was simply stating that it would be nice to have more info.

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, I read the story again and it never says what the robber stole from the guy. You'd think if the robber took the guys gun, they would have included that little tidbit.

I think it's safe to assume that he robbed the guy of his money and his gun. A lot of crooks are pretty stupid, but I doubt many are dumb enough to rob someone but leave them with a loaded weapon as they try to make their get away. ;)

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
The argument could be: if it was concealed, it might not have been stolen.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
i never said anything like that, the article doesn't give any details on what happened, for all you know it could have been a troop of girl scouts that held this guy up with a dull box cutter and a stick... I was simply stating that it would be nice to have more info.

Yeah, the story is a little light on details, but I think it's a safe bet he was approached by someone with a gun.

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 04:02 PM
If someone wants to open carry that is there own right and they should be able to. However I do not belive in it. I always thought if you would open carry you could become a target to a street thug who is concealing a weapon. You probably wouldnt pick out that the thug has a weapon untill it is too late and I am guessing that this is the case here.

Score another one for common sense. It's hard to have the threat radar running 24/7, especially if you haven't had any training on what to look for.

HITMAN
06-13-2010, 04:12 PM
It's not about being a rebel. It's about excercising your right to self protection and it's about a push for concealed carry. You're right the sheeple of this state aren't accustomed to seeing a gun in the open. But, by openly carrying and pushing thier buttons the ground work is being laid for a concealed carry arguement. I believe thats why JB Van Hollen issued the statement he issued. He wants concealed carry as much as the rest of us and he knows that this open carry issue is going to push the right buttons to get a concealed law moving and articles like these are exactly the kind of press we need to get it there.

It sux a law abiding citizen lost his weapon and another weapon in on the street, but to make an omlette...

That is an overused cliché and it can backfire on you. If enough of public opinion goes south, you'll never see CCW here. A politician's ethics only go as far as that day's poling data. The argument could be made that if this goof wouldn't have had a gun on his hip, he probably would not have been singled out. If you're a convicted felon and you want a handgun without going to some high priced illegal street vendor, some dude with a gun on his hip looks like a freebie waiting to happen. You just have to figure out how to get inside his defensive perimeter. It's certainly ballsy, but doable.

u_say_go
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
:rolf this chump has to go through life knowing he got jacked while he was armed! That made my day! Way to go loser