PDA

View Full Version : For those on your feet all day long

MoCkiN U
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
With the new job I am walking around on concrete floors all day with no carpet or padding to speak of and several times a day I have to make the long walk across to the other store and then way into the back for the offices and most of the time I'm in a hurry.

I got fed up with knee pain and lower back stress and went looking for relief. I bought new shoes and that didnt really help completely. I got Dr Scholls $15 gel inserts for my shoes and that was softer but my ankles were getting stressed from my fast ass causing the gel inserts to 'wiggle' in the shoes so I dumped those.

I kept seeing those freakin commercials for the Dr Scholls custom insert kiosks and such and gave it a try. I have worked on my feet for years but never walked so much on concrete and such.

Found a kiosk which 5 were local to me on their website and tried out the little deal. Step on the machine follow the simple directions and probably look like a fool doing it but then it tells you of the 10 styles which one will fit you best.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/index.jsp

Prepare for it tho as they arent cheap by any means. $50 for damn inserts is stupid stupid stupid but just let me say after working today I would gladly get my wife a set for her shoes.

Best damn investment I have made in the form of foot relief including higher end shoes and all of it.

Today was a much nicer day walking around for sure!

http://img.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1000947_525079_A_400.jpg

Prince Valiant
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Look at it this way: 50 dollars for inserts IS stupid. 50 dollars for semi-custom orthotics, by contrast, is a bargain.

You fortunately got the later.

There are other types of what we call "over-the-counter" orthotics (which, btw, are NOT "inserts"), but they are generally less comfortable than these. And those less comfortable versions cost around 25-30 bucks...so would it be a good value to buy those and perhaps still have unhappy feet? Of course not...that's simply throwing money away.

Likewise, custom orthotics will run some 400-800 dollars a pair, require special fitting/construction, and also can be a bit on the uncomfortable side.

This is far and away the best product Dr. Scholl's makes...generally not a fan of their stuff. But this is good, and the next closest competitor is the "The Good Feet Store" products, and they too are much more expensive.

I know of at least two people who gotten these and both were very happy with the results...

That_Guy
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I bought some cheapy inserts for work they where great for about a week then they lost there cushy ness. I was thinking about going to the good feet store but I guess you pay an arm or a leg there. I'll have to find one of those stands! thanks for the heads up.

MoCkiN U
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Both of the local ones to me were in Walmart and walgreens. In walgreens it was in the back by the pharmacy counter.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yooformula
06-12-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been using a set of these for over a year and they really work! my feet kill me when I dont use them. really helps to align my feet/ankles/lower back.

Reverend Cooper
06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
i use good feet inserts and its the best money i have ever spent

hrsp
06-12-2010, 11:13 PM
if steel toe is not required id look at running shoes...i have a few pairs of airmaxes that i wear to work..yes there expensive but when u walk 20miles anight 5 days a week it well worth it!!!

DynoTom
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I use these inserts too and I have to say they work VERY GOOD !

My lower back pain was very bad and once I started using the DS inserts the pain went away within a day or two !

I have had them for a while now and I never get any pain like I used to !

spooln30
06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
What stores on the south side have the machines to show u what inserts work best. I have a hern L4&5 and I am willing to try anything to help my days at work. Thanks alot. Btw I went to two walgreens one on Layton in cudahy and in bayview and I didn't see the machine. Again thanks.

pashtrd
06-13-2010, 01:32 AM
What stores on the south side have the machines to show u what inserts work best. I have a hern L4&5 and I am willing to try anything to help my days at work. Thanks alot. Btw I went to two walgreens one on Layton in cudahy and in bayview and I didn't see the machine. Again thanks.
The Walmart on 27th between Rawson and College has 1 of the kiosks.

MoCkiN U
06-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Click on the link I posted and once there click custom orthodoics on the top right and on that page you will see find a store box where u put your zip code in to find one. If you are on the main page and just wait a sec it will pop up there too.

lilws6
06-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I may have to try these wen I get new shoes. We can't ever sit and these pads we stand on suck balls. My vans are already wore out anyway.

MoCkiN U
06-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah I'm in same boat man. No sitting at all.

For those who have this same product or one like it about how long does a pair last?

Karps TA
06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
New Balance make some really nice inserts as well that helped me quite a bit with some back problems I was having. They were way better then any of the DR. Scholls I had tried at the time. But this was about 2 years ago, way before those kiosks. If I recall the inserts ran $20-50 depending on style.

kornholio788
06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I am rockin steel toes with the 15 dollar gel inserts. Works for me. But I will probably give these a try for sure.

flyin_blue_egg
06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
With the new job I am walking around on concrete floors all day with no carpet or padding to speak of and several times a day I have to make the long walk across to the other store and then way into the back for the offices and most of the time I'm in a hurry.

I got fed up with knee pain and lower back stress and went looking for relief. I bought new shoes and that didnt really help completely. I got Dr Scholls $15 gel inserts for my shoes and that was softer but my ankles were getting stressed from my fast ass causing the gel inserts to 'wiggle' in the shoes so I dumped those.

I kept seeing those freakin commercials for the Dr Scholls custom insert kiosks and such and gave it a try. I have worked on my feet for years but never walked so much on concrete and such.

Found a kiosk which 5 were local to me on their website and tried out the little deal. Step on the machine follow the simple directions and probably look like a fool doing it but then it tells you of the 10 styles which one will fit you best.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/index.jsp

Prepare for it tho as they arent cheap by any means. $50 for damn inserts is stupid stupid stupid but just let me say after working today I would gladly get my wife a set for her shoes.

Best damn investment I have made in the form of foot relief including higher end shoes and all of it.

Today was a much nicer day walking around for sure!

http://img.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1000947_525079_A_400.jpg

i used the kiosk once and was told i needed the red ones, but at the time was kind of wondering if the $50 was worth it. but now that someone else spent the $50 and said they work i may have to go pick them up. I work in the jail and wear military style boots, do they work in boots??

DynoTom
06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
i used the kiosk once and was told i needed the red ones, but at the time was kind of wondering if the $50 was worth it. but now that someone else spent the $50 and said they work i may have to go pick them up. I work in the jail and wear military style boots, do they work in boots??

Yep , I wear them in steel toe boots at work 8 hour day walking / standing.....

These inserts have changed my life , my back pain was very bad !

Holeshot
06-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I had a set and it really fucked my gate up. I did the test 3 times to make sure I wasn't wrong picking what it selected for me # 440 After a few days I was having really bad pain in my inner knees. I gave them a month thinking I needed to adjust. Well it never happened. I stopped using them lost 10 lbs and the knee pain is gone. I also have planter facitus in one foot. Stretching was the best solution with regular thick foam inserts. I did mail the bar code in and got my 49.99 back . It took about 6 weeks.

MoCkiN U
06-13-2010, 01:37 PM
There is all kinds of feedback here. Cool stuff. I thought for sure someone would think was waste of money but sounds like for most part lots of people looking for relief. As for boots like tom said I put them in my old military jump boots and was great! They also fit in my motorcycle boots.

I think they work because they stop at the ball of your foot and don't go all the way to your toes. Biggest complaint I had with other brands and models was the feeling under my toes with the thing moving around and just bugging. This is at the ball of your foot so you do notice it at first but goes away quickly once you get used to it and so far they don't move forward. In my brown loafers at work they straight up feel like running shoes with the bounce kinda feel.

spooln30
06-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks alot for the info guys. I'll post results when I wear them for a week.

Prince Valiant
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
I had a set and it really fucked my gate up. I did the test 3 times to make sure I wasn't wrong picking what it selected for me # 440 After a few days I was having really bad pain in my inner knees. I gave them a month thinking I needed to adjust.This goes to show, they aren't for everyone or every condition, as many of these things are often touted.

The reason these things probably exacerbated your knee, causing pain is that you probably have a touch of, if not moderate medial compartment arthritis. Think of it this way...if your tire is showing inner tread wear, and you adjust for greater negative camber, you get increased inner tire wear, correct?

Similar concept with the knee.

These things keep ones foot from "pronating" (IE, rolling inward)....as the foot pronates, it places more weight on the outside of the two wt bearing compartments of the knee...IE, the lateral compartment. But in your case, since your lateral compartment is probably fine, and your medial is showing touch, if not moderate amounts of wear, then the medial compartment sees higher loading forces since your foot isn't allowed to pronate as it normally would...thus making the compromised compartment work harder, thus in your case, more pain.

If I had to guess over the 'nets, you have mildly bowed out knees, correct?

MOST women who get arthritis get lateral compartment arthritis, so these inserts will generally help. Men get medial compartment arthritis more often than women, but still get lateral more than medial forms of the disease too.

So while these things may help a number of individuals, they ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE.

But it's funny how something seemingly so small can affect so much, eh?

I think they work because they stop at the ball of your foot and don't go all the way to your toes. Well, they help different people for different reasons actually...it depends on what ones problems were, generally body type/make-up, and what problems they seemed to correct. The human foot actually functions better on our toes, since it lets our calf muscles do the job they were intended to do, act as shock absorbers.

Again, over the 'nets I'd guess you've got moderate to perhaps severely flat feet. Perhaps you don't, but you don't but you might be a fair bit over weight. By guessing again, I'd guess you might have a touch of knock knees.

The end result is this...by your description of what it appeared to help, I'd guess as your foot/feet pronated excessively during normal walking (which is all these things really stop), which causes excessive tibial torsion. That tibial torsion caused excessive motion/rotation at the knees, probably giving you greater pain around the inner portion of the knee to outer portion of the kneecap (both things excessive pronation/tibial torsion can contribute to). This can also contribute to increased motion on the SI joints of the low back, and excessive motion to the lower lumbaral area. By minimizing this excessive motion, this probably led to the improvement in the areas you see.

kirks5oh
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
This goes to show, they aren't for everyone or every condition, as many of these things are often touted.

The reason these things probably exacerbated your knee, causing pain is that you probably have a touch of, if not moderate medial compartment arthritis. Think of it this way...if your tire is showing inner tread wear, and you adjust for greater negative camber, you get increased inner tire wear, correct?

Similar concept with the knee.

These things keep ones foot from "pronating" (IE, rolling inward)....as the foot pronates, it places more weight on the outside of the two wt bearing compartments of the knee...IE, the lateral compartment. But in your case, since your lateral compartment is probably fine, and your medial is showing touch, if not moderate amounts of wear, then the medial compartment sees higher loading forces since your foot isn't allowed to pronate as it normally would...thus making the compromised compartment work harder, thus in your case, more pain.

If I had to guess over the 'nets, you have mildly bowed out knees, correct?

MOST women who get arthritis get lateral compartment arthritis, so these inserts will generally help. Men get medial compartment arthritis more often than women, but still get lateral more than medial forms of the disease too. .

while lateral knee compartment arthritis is more common in women compared to men, women are much more likely to have medial compartment arthritis. isolated lateral knee arthritis is not very common at all.

kirks5oh
06-14-2010, 10:42 PM
while lateral knee compartment arthritis is more common in women compared to men, women are much more likely to have medial compartment arthritis. isolated lateral knee arthritis is not very common at all. all the other info is very helpful. thanks

Prince Valiant
06-14-2010, 11:17 PM
isolated lateral knee arthritis is not very common at all.You are correct...the relative incidences of isolated lateral compartment arthritis are low. Thanks for the correction...