PDA

View Full Version : Car With No Title?

emptypockets
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
So as i said in my introduction thread I am looking to start a new project. I found a very clean car to start with and it is worth alot more then the owner is asking but the problem is that the car does not have a title. Car was totaled by an insurance company and sent to the crusher. For reasons i cannot figured out as the car is VERY straight and has very minimal damage (needs a fender). With that said, the car has no title, the current owner just has a bill of sale and im assuming this is all I will get with it as well.

My question is, can I get a new title for this thing? Id really hate to pass on it just because of the title issue.

Car Guy
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Once a VIN (vehicle) is junked through the state of WI a title can never be had again. If that is NOT the case then a title can be had one way or another but the process might not be worth the hassle. The first action you can take is checking the VIN with as many sources as possible; Carfax/Autocheck, WI DOT, internet, etc. From there you can get a good idea of the title's status and make a decision from there.....

JaMichaels
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
So is it at a Junkyard or is it still privately owned? I'd be worried about the car having a Lien on the old title, which if it does, you couldn't obtain a title, till the Lien was removed.

Exitspeed
06-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I can explain the process to you if you want to PM me. I went through the process with my motorcycle. It's not just a if this, then this, process.

TheRX7Project
06-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Also depends on the year, and how legal you want it to be. Some places you can buy a "collector car title" for an old car that "no longer exists" (i.e. scrapped) and then you just need some VIN tags... of course this is not really legal.

emptypockets
06-11-2010, 05:20 AM
I can explain the process to you if you want to PM me. I went through the process with my motorcycle. It's not just a if this, then this, process.

I could definitly use any help you can offer. Im going to purchase this car either way I think and figure somthing out as the deal is to good to pass up. Little info.

Car was totaled in flordia, sent to the crusher. Guy from Chicago purchased it from ???? using his dealer lisence and received nothing but a bill of sale for it. He has been driving it about 2k miles a year since using a dealer plate. (not a big dealer, think he just has a lisence to buy and sell at auction). The deal between him and i is being conducted as a private party transaction obviously, not a dealer transaction.

Car is a CLEAN 90 Mustang Notchback with under 90K original miles.

Any info you can give me would be great.

Thanks!

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
hmm does a 90 qualify as a hobbyist since its 2010 now? could possibly go through the homebuilt/kit car provision where it gets fully inspected and deemed road worthy

TheRX7Project
06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
hmm does a 90 qualify as a hobbyist since its 2010 now? could possibly go through the homebuilt/kit car provision where it gets fully inspected and deemed road worthy

It would qualify for hobbyist but I don't know if you can do that with a car that was supposedly destroyed.

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
well i mean its the old philosophy arguement... if you have a ship and slowly replace parts on it with new ones until the whole of the ship has been replaced and someone uses all the old parts to make a ship...which really is the original ship?

Everything on a vehicle is replaceable save for the VIN so if this was a car built from the parts of scrapped vehicles would it not qualify as a home built vehicle? just because ALL the parts came from the same scrapped vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it IS that vehicle. Thats y im curious.

Gregor
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I think your cowl/firewall panel is rotted out and needs to be replaced, along with the inner fender panels since they are also rotted out.

SmokinRAM114
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
find another cheapy n swap vin tags :goof

-stew-
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
PM sent...

GRNDNL
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Something doesn't sound right.........Its a great deal except that it was totaled out of state with little damage and has no title.......I'd stay far away from that thing............

-stew-
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM

It would throw up a huge red flag asking the state to issue a VIN for a stock bodied car. Best bet is to buy a junker with a clean title and swap VIN, but then you have a car with no title/vin plate to get rid of. This may be illegal, but the odds of getting caught are low, and with no insurance companies involved that makes for less concern.

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
well the idea is the same as the cobra replicas or the camaro new tubs etc where they weren't factory build but can be registered as the original year.... I'd agree they would probably want purchase documentation for components etc.

drrodder
06-12-2010, 05:41 AM
I'd check the car for FLOOD damage. In Florida (I got family down there), many huricanes can total a car based on that. That might be the reason for no physical damage to the metal work (dents). Salt water and metal don't work in the long run and flood damage will show up years later as it rusts from the inside out (like under the carpet for example).

emptypockets
06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Guess the cons outweigh the pros to this car. Sad to let it pass but its probably for the better, dont need a headache. Back to the drawing board! Thanks guys.

-stew-
06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
link to the car?

emptypockets
06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
link to the car?

You never returned my PM... :thumbsup

There is no link.

-stew-
06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Replied, didn't notice it, sorry.

Slow Joe
06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
The fact that a person with a dealer's license in IL don't have a title would make me weary of the car. I'd pass... Then run far far away from it :rolf