PDA

View Full Version : 04 duramax fuel issue

lilws6
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
ok so i'm more than likely going to pick up an 04 duramax this weekend. but the dealer is fighting what they say is a fuel issue. he didn't want me coming down and looking at it today cuz they didn't figure out what it is yet. but i came and looked at it anyways. for the price it looks and drives like a great truck until it cuts fuel and you can't drive it. around town it was great at 25 mph. but once i tried to get on it a little more it shifted hard and then wouldn't go any where it sputtered for awhile then it went finally. it did it again wen i was almost back to the dealer. he said it was embaressing that it was acting up duringa test drive but i told him it was fine you told me it had a sensor issue before i drove it. he says the tech pulled some fuel reg. sensor code off the pcm and there going to fix it tomarow. my question is does this sound like what is going to fix it or could it be the injectors that are still under warranty. or a really bad fuel filter? diesels are new to me but its pulling all the fuel wen your trying to get on it and it just idles/sputters trying to go.

Anakonda69
06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
ask for a fuel filter change. is it an lly or an lb7 duramax? lly's have issues with the #2 and #7 injector wiring harness. when these wires short out it reacts with complete power loss. i would have them looked into if it's and lly.

lilws6
06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
my buddy was trying to get me to figure it out how can i tell witch motor it is the 8th vin is a 2 that should be motor designations correct? i figured it was somethign stupid easy since its almost impossible to blow a dmax up but i guess it could happen when i started driving it it ran real good turbos loud.(has an intake, and a stack :(.)

WickedSix
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
2 is the lly variable vane turbo the exhaust hiss (jet dryer like)

lilws6
06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
ive also heard it has the external injectors? so it does have an lly motor. and thats probably why i thought it sounded weird. this probably should be in the diesel section i didn't even realize we had a diesel section until 2 min. ago :goof

lilws6
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
oh yea the trucks only got 80k on it so if this fuel thing its simply fixed i'll be a happy truck owner

SmokinRAM114
06-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Call shane at kilpatricks, tell him chris flairty (me) sent u. He will more then likely no. He is a duramax wizard

emptypockets
06-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Sounds like nothing more then a fuel filter going bad. This is exactly how my LLY would react if it was getting plugged. First tell tale sign will be that the shifts get really sloppy, if you notice that, change your filter immediatly! I ususally change the fuel filter on the Dmax trucks every time I change the oil, cheap insurance.

emptypockets
06-10-2010, 05:34 AM
on a side note, do yourself a favor and use Delco filters. They are the only filters I have not had issues with. For some reason ive had bad luck using anything but factory filters on these trucks. And purchase a WIF sensor wrench, it will make removing the WIF sensor off the filter alot easier and you wont tear it up like an adjustable wrench will.

lilws6
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
my buddies ll7 acts up when his filter gets dirty but this i like way worse lol. i couldmn't get to hwy speeds because of it and it set a low fuel pressure code in the pcm witch was making me think it needed a filter. cuz slwo speed was fine and idle was fine

Anakonda69
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
yes the lly has external injectors. so no need to remove valve covers to get at them like on the lb7.

BAD LS1
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Look at the option tag on teh door or in the glove box, look for the LLY or LB7 in the RPO code listing.

lilws6
06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
yea i forgot to look on the door. it was made 05/04

lilws6
06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
ok they got it fixed they did two things. One replaced the fuel filter like i told them to do and two aparently someone put anouther inline fuel pump on the truck that was bad. they took the pump out and it runs fine again. full power and all. i asked for them to throw the pump in the back of the truck for me as i wanted to see what it was. i'll be taking it home tomarow morning but before i leave its getting a beat run to make shure shes set or its not leaving there lot.

Anakonda69
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
take a pic. i might be interested in it.

lilws6
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
if it failed how could it be any good. a buddy of mine wants to see it as well. might have something to do with the banks kit thats suposedly on it. i'll snap a pic with my phone tomarow and should be able to upload it on here.

Anakonda69
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
i could rebuild it cheaper then buying a new aftermarket lift pump which is what i'm assuming went bad. a good portion of them however like a fass go after the stock fuel pump so even if the lift pump goes bad the stocker will run the truck like nothing ever happened. the lift pump is just there for added fuel amount/pressure.

lilws6
06-10-2010, 08:43 PM
i think that may be what it is if so i'll probably keep it and put it back in :goof we'll see

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 08:01 AM
they usually have an auxiliary fuel seperator and filter as well. Its smart protection if thats what it truly is/was

http://image.automotive.com/f/tech/dodge/9994102+pheader/0807dp_01_z+fass_dodge_fuel_lift_pump_kit+fass_kit .jpg

Anakonda69
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
man i need me a fass 150 system. lol

lilws6
06-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Not a fas the pump says ppe on the side

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv67/Evolved_Motor_Sports/PPELift.jpg

that?

lilws6
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
That be the one!

WickedSix
06-11-2010, 04:07 PM
160 gph....rebuild and keep

Monstr913
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
STFU! brandon was gonna buy it, dick lol...yea if you decide not to sell it let me or anakonda know...thats a inline secondary pump to boost the fuel going to the injection pump so you dont stare the injection pump of fuel when running big tunes...now your edge doesnt really have a demand for it but its up to you

lilws6
06-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't have an edge but I believe it has a banks programer in it now. She smokes pretty good and gets up and goes not shure why it would have had the secondary pump in it but if its worth it to rebuild it I will.

Anakonda69
06-11-2010, 09:49 PM
thanks pat.

lilws6
06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Acually we hooked up the pump and it works fine. It was run to a toggle on the dash. So noone decided to turn it on. I have a feeling there's a bunch of stuff that was done to this truck and the guy was selling it so he yanked most of it out. The programer I thought it had doesn't exist. Traced wires and found no boxes hooked up anywhere just dead ending wires. But the truck still hauls the mail and is acually over fueling down low. So I have no idea what's done to the truck but I like it lol. We were testin It out tonight and did something to cause the check engine light to come on maybe ill just scan it at work torow see what it threw. My buddy has an 03 and he says the converter is lockin up differently then his. Either this changed after 03 or the owner previous had some trans work done?

Anakonda69
06-12-2010, 09:55 AM
the tranny specs did slightly change but i believe that was in 02. i know the 03's and newer are constantly learning shift patterns and such. my brother's 01 has a different tcm then mine does.

Monstr913
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
well if i ever get my truck back i can bring over my PPE and scan your truck and tell you if theres a tune in it. as for trans it might have a trans-go shift kit in it, pretty common upgrade and fairly easy to do...usually you dont need at secondary pump until your making more then 400ish to the wheels...i run my fass when truck is on stock tune and dont over fuel so it might have injectors hard to say...maybe this week if you want ill look at it, im in muskego/wind lake

lilws6
06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
That would be awsome if you can tell me what's done. I plan on yankin the wires just laying in there out. Still thinkin about selling the pump since I won't be pushing too much fuel. But I'm not going to have it reflashed until I get some kind of tunner that I like. I don't want to stack anything on top of what I don't know is in the computer now.

Monstr913
06-12-2010, 02:31 PM
well if theres no tuner in it then you dont need to reflash if there is then obviously you'll need too, so just hit me up with a pm sometime next week and let me know

lilws6
06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Its gata have something in it. I can keep up with my budies truck set on 5

Monstr913
06-13-2010, 01:13 PM
well heres the thing if i try and tune it with my PPE and it comes up with an error message its tuned by something else i cant tell you what but it happened on another friends truck...and i'm wondering how bad it smokes when you said it smokes pretty good, as a stock dmax wont smoke at all, we'll like i said i should get my truck back tomorrow and can stop out or meet up with you somewhere and look at truck

lilws6
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I am off tomarow and I have to pull the O2 sims out of the ta to meet up with LIT. So ill probably be around. Shoot me you number ill give you a call. Apparently boosting close to 40psi isn't to good for the turbo I've heard?

Anakonda69
06-13-2010, 01:48 PM
the lly garret tops out around 40psi. just don't wanna go any higher or else you'll float the heads and then need new gaskets and head studs. lol

Anakonda69
06-13-2010, 01:49 PM
you can get just about any info you need about your truck on dieselplace.com

emptypockets
06-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Head Studs and Cometic head gaskets are your friends..... If you need help with the install let me know!