PDA

View Full Version : Lola goes to school

michelle
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I work at a middle school and today was my "floating holiday" so I have off. I decided to take Lola to work for a couple of reasons. I wanted to show some co-workers who this silly dog is that I talk about all the time and I wanted her to meet Dylan, a special education student who is blind and has other disabilities. Based on what I have observed with Lola's personality and instincts around children, I will continue working on her training and eventually I hope she can be a therapy dog.

Well she was a hit at school. I chose the morning since the students in the 8th grade are in their coordinated arts, so I could get away with her walking around in the 8th grade wing without many students around. She absolutely loved all the attention from my co-workers. She was being so formal and polite. She sat down and was giving everyone a proper hand shake as they greeted her! What a lady!

Eventually we made our way down to where Dylan's classroom is. He spends a lot of his time on this one swing that is in the center of the room. Lola was very cautious walking in, carefully watching Dylan and the noises that he makes (he can say a few words). Lola licked his hand, but Dylan didn't like that too much.

What I have been told is that Dylan likes the sound of barking. Since Lola isn't much of a barker, I didn't know how well it was going to go. Well did she surprise me. Dylan made a few barking noises as best he could and Lola started to "speak" back to him, wagging her tail, but standing next to me.

Dylan loved her bark. I have never seen him smile and laugh as much as he was when she was barking. He kept saying "yeah yeah" and just laughing. Lola caught on to this and kept barking for him.

All of us in the room were in shock on how well they were working together. Lola was giving Dylan just what he wanted and needed.

Now obviously, she might have just been barking at the swing he was on. That's very well possible, but it was so cute how they were feeding off each other.

Dylan has been around other dogs and was only interested when they were "speaking". His primary aide said that's the biggest smile and laugh he's heard from him. I'm sure a lot had to do with Lola's low bark.

Looks like Lola might go to school a few times this summer to "speak" with Dylan more!

Anybody on here have a "therapy" dog? We'll keep working on Lola's training, but she won't be mature enough until she's at least two.

Good start to my morning!

MoCkiN U
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
that must have lightened up your day just as much as the childs watching all this happiness grow with a simple easy thing you did. Cool deal Michelle!

Prince Valiant
06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Sassy was trained as a therapy dog...and got a certificate as such. But she's more of an old folks home dog, as kids seem to challenge her.

We trained both her and gizmo at Knowles Kennels in Grafton on Hwy 32 just west of I-43.

Russ Jerome
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Lola has already proven as a good therapy dog for my dog Miya, a pushy Italian Mastiff who now knows what "running" realy is! Lola sure had Miya calmed quickly and certainly gets along with other dogs instantly.

b4mytm
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Nice job Michelle... and Lola!!

lordairgtar
06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Good for Lola! Brings tears to my eyes.

michelle
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
It was a lot of fun and we'll definitely do it again.

We're starting to bring her out more and more (i.e. taking her to WBD this past weekend) so that she gets used to random noises and a lot of people around. She did great at the Elm Grove parade with kids running up to her and all sorts of noises. She only got scared at the sirens of the firetrucks and ambulances. I figure if we keep exposing her to a variety of situations, she won't think anything is a big deal anymore and we'll be able to be a bit more successful with training with distractions.

Thanks for the kind words. (:

pOrk
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Levin is going to be a trained therapy dog as well as search and rescue once he is old enough. Gotta work the dog and keep him happy, his mind is always working ( too bad mine can't keep up :) )

Slow Joe
06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Sweet!

While we were in the Virgin Islads a couple had a Dalmation Puppy (7ish month) that they were training for search and rescue.

Talk about an obedient dog! They had him sitting at their dinner table in the resturant/bar we were in, and he was just sitting there like a human, not even paying attention to the food... It was pretty amazing.